DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I also don't really get the criticism of the "b-b-but what about Saudia Arabia" sort. 

It's not about "whataboutism" and a response to the criticisms of Meltzer;  everyone here agreed that he was 100% wrong.  "We already talked about Saudi Arabia" doesn't mean we should STOP talking about Saudi Arabia.  It's coming up again very soon,  I believe they have a show before the end of the year.  I'd like to see what these same folks in WWE have to say about it.  Will they take a stand and come to the defense of their colleagues?  Let's see.  

*scrolls through tons of things*
My strongest most uninformed take: "I find people I am attracted to to be attractive!" I also like fluffy bunnies and puppies and kittens. Come at me! *shrug*

Dave's an old idiot who comes off like a perv at various times throughout the year, not sure what else to say about it.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, regarding Saudi Arabia, Corey Graves spoke out about it on Twitter or Instagram and got in trouble for it.

Well yeah. The thing is the WWE wrestlers and employees going at Dave should be keeping the same energy all the time and not just when there’s an easy target. Otherwise, they look like hypocrites.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I too really hope this is the end of gimmick troll Dave on twitter. Fucking idea sucks. Some of the shit he has to deal with is of his own making.

The idea of the gimmick isn't bad in the twitter culture day and age. Tons of people are listening to the Pritchard/Russo/Bischoff types without prior knowledge and coming Dave with the nonsense. His reply is basically  "read to find out the truth". And if one out of ten of those people subscribe it is a win. And he is looking at the numbers, he knows how much money he is making monthly. 

I do think there is a way to do it without the troll nature, but then again that is the only language some people understand. 

Back to Dave,  it looks what he was trying to say "women are pressured by WWE to get implants and it's not necessary and it can negatively affect ring work" which is still unacceptable ...  he criticized her looks and what he said was 100% wrong.  I'm glad he apologized. It's up to Peyton whether she feels it's an acceptable apology.  

I don't believe he was fat shaming. I'm not sure it matters because if you are in his position you can't get on anyone's looks period. Whether it's "you looked better without them" or "you gained weight" both are bad,  we understand it's a business about image but just be quiet.  

And I think he learned his lesson on that. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Back to Dave,  it looks what he was trying to say "women are pressured by WWE to get implants and it's not necessary and it can negatively affect ring work" which is still unacceptable ...  he criticized her looks and what he said was 100% wrong.  I'm glad he apologized. It's up to Peyton whether she feels it's an acceptable apology.  

But that also ties to the biggest problem: Meltzer picked the WORST POSSIBLE WORDING to use it.

If you simply say something like "getting implants can change your center of gravity, and that would make a performer need to relearn how to correctly adjust to their new body", or even go further and say "both members of the IIconics have struggled to adjust to their new bodies, and it has negatively affected them in the ring, and indeed the fact that both women were never seen on NXT television after they got these enhancements has been a big problem since they didn't get any time to adjust to this change in their bodies before making their main roster debut", it's still not perfect, but it's more reasonable than using words to the effect of "she's fatter now and not as hot". 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It does seem like the wrestlers responding fall into three categories

- ones who want to have an open and constructive dialogue

- those jumping on the pile

- those responding because they think it’s the “cool” thing to do

Which pretty much sums up every Twitter blowup in a nutshell.  The first category is dwarfed by the other two.

• Like 1

There's also the facet that if someone's implants burst or go bad, it can lead to them being put on the hypothetical DL and disrupting booking plans, as may or may not have happened with Charlotte recently. 

I guess the Male equivalent would be someone being out for cosmetic surgery. Like maybe when Rock got his gynocamastia done.

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But that also ties to the biggest problem: Meltzer picked the WORST POSSIBLE WORDING to use it.

He did, it was horrible.  Dave isn't articulate enough to come close to what you wrote out but even then, even if he's given the benefit of the doubt,  nobody wants their looks to be a topic of conversation.  He was still going to come off as an old pervert. 

• Like 1

I think at this point we can move on from whatever stupid ass thing Dave said because it's not even the dumbest thing that's come out from him this week. I don't mean to excuse the dumb things he says, but he's incredibly socially inept. He frequently doesn't understand context or nuance and if he's learned any sort of lesson from this, then that's for the best. I don't think any of the rest of the discussion is going to go anywhere except driving one of the mods to close the thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I don't know why, but this image just feels RIGHT as a non-sequitur that's still topical at the moment.

WRESTLING1-superJumbo.jpg

Great timing with the comment I just made about him.

And I've seen this picture before, but this is the first time I've noticed two things:

1) His posture. Holy fucking shit how is that remotely comfortable?

2) The fire extinguisher buried among the various fire hazards in his office.

EDIT: Oh my god. I tried sitting like that in my office chair and I think I pulled something. Granted, I'm fat and out of shape and he's not, but still. NOT ERGONOMICALLY FRIENDLY

Just now, PetrolCB said:

That’s true...

This is one of the things that fueled my comment. The other being on nearly every review of Raw or SDL where he doesn't understand or pick up on any joke from Alvarez or he takes the joke literally.

• Like 1

I mean, as Betsy pointed out earlier, he equated racial slurs with the term "mark," and he's defended Ric Flair calling black workers like Teddy Long racial slurs because, and I'm paraphrasing here, that's just how everyone talked back then!

He's a dude that should stick to news blurbs and match reviews, but leave out the commentary on anything about human relations or people in general. His analytical skills in this area are, to put it really nicely, quite wanting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is one of the things that fueled my comment. The other being on nearly every review of Raw or SDL where he doesn't understand or pick up on any joke from Alvarez or he takes the joke literally.

I’m not making fun, so nobody pile on me here. But this and many other things are why I think Meltzer has Aspergers. My uncle is the same way. Very smart, VERY dedicated to things he’s interested in. (History and sports mainly. Shit, he even published a hockey book and personally flew out to legends all over NA. Not to mention he was on Jeopardy.) But he’s also terrible with social cues, can’t pick up on a joke, and will say something that isn’t meant to be mean, but it’s just what his opinion is on the subject. 

• Like 4

People are now digging up old tweets. Social media isn't terrible but a lot of the people who use it are.  Again, Seth may have changed over the last 7 years so give him the benefit of the doubt.  Him going at Dave is fine and he's not wrong to do so.  This is similar to what happened with James Gunn where if you take a stand,  then it opens yourself up.

• Haha 1