DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave said stupid shit and WWE management is still horrible..  I just feel bad for the women,  nobody says how Bray Wyatt has put on a lot of weight and all his matches suck now. The double standard is still very much alive.

You've got to be kidding. I feel like that's a pretty common talking point.

Fat Braden Walker in a singlet is still a meme like a decade later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ace said:

It's more a case of accusing Meltzer of fatshaming when he wasn't, while the company has done it repeatedly.

I think most people here have accepted that he wasn't fatshaming and have moved the conversation forward. I still don't know what the company has to do with Meltzer pulling a Meltzer. 

47 minutes ago, tlk23 said:

So if he leaves out that last line, would everyone be ok? When did he say that wasn't true or just an observation? Nobody has a problem with Dave saying they/she is not a over as they were in NXT. Everyone would agree with that. He thinks that her character (everything from her mic skills, wrestling, to her look) was better at NXt.

Yes. To me, the last line is what kills it for him, because of the assumption that he's talking about weight, when I think he was just making a stupid joke about her implants.

Other than that, I have no real issue with anything he said.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dave needs to do something big to get everyone's mind off of this snafu. 

Which TakeOver match do y'all think is getting the Full Five™? 

He'll give Baszler/Sane six stars, because he likes to overcompensate.

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I think most people here have accepted that he wasn't fatshaming and have moved the conversation forward. I still don't know what the company has to do with Meltzer pulling a Meltzer. 

I think its that they get pissed at Meltz, but have no problem collecting a check from WWE, who has done a lot worse. 

• Like 1

Just now, Victator said:

I think its that they get pissed at Meltz, but have no problem collecting a check from WWE, who has done a lot worse. 

WWE's still the place to be and offers the greatest pay for most of them and the greatest opportunities for exposure. I don't begrudge anyone for choosing to tread lightly where their career is concerned and not airing their dirty laundry or pushing for positive change more aggressively. Accepting employment in such a situation is not an endorsement of the company's behaviour. 

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be honest - I think we have reached the point where WWE employees are being "strongly encouraged" to respond... especially because it is Meltzer

Tyler Breeze and Finlay are the next ones to pile on.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

WWE's still the place to be and offers the greatest pay for most of them and the greatest opportunities for exposure. I don't begrudge anyone for choosing to tread lightly where their career is concerned and not airing their dirty laundry or pushing for positive change more aggressively. Accepting employment in such a situation is not an endorsement of the company's behaviour. 

Isn't it? Taking someone's money is an endorsement of them. I'm not judging, do what you gotta do. But it does mean you should probably not be so trigger happy with the outrage gun. Perhaps it is due to my rather harsh upbringing, but this seems like a huge over reaction. Seems like all the WWE guys piling on is doing is raising David's profile. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave said stupid shit and WWE management is still horrible..  I just feel bad for the women,  nobody says how Bray Wyatt has put on a lot of weight and all his matches suck now. The double standard is still very much alive.

Dave did mention one of, if not both of the Young Bucks putting on weight due to the move to heavyweight and how they could affect their in ring style. That's fine. However, people would lose their shit if he said the exactly same thing for a women. Jane Doe has put on some weight recently and they maybe change her high flying style. People would have gone crazy over that, although I see no problem with it. It has gotten to the point that you can't say anything about a women's looks. Really? Especially in a business that is predicated so much on how you look. Find something more important to outrage about.

Well, men saying things about women's looks has a different context than men saying something about other men's looks because of the historical differences in how men's and women's looks are discussed and valued.

It's not the same thing, really, even though on a surface level, it may seem to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There’s also a pretty massive difference between “a junior heavyweight is gaining muscle in order to more accurately portray a heavyweight, and this will alter his in ring style” and “she was hotter to me before she got breast implants—wait, I’m sorry, I clearly still think she’s hot.”

Pro wrestling is an image business, so it’s reasonable to expect someone who covers it to talk about the bodies of performers; but Dave is too imprecise and inarticulate at times to do so tactfully. (And that’s being pretty generous.)

I’m also pretty uncomfortable with the idea that taking a WWE check necessarily breaks your moral compass, or renders one complicit in all past actions. If WWE had a really strong union, I think you could make that argument regarding current storylines—but of course, there’s no such thing. (It’s also pretty much impossible for any individual to make or spend money without ethical compromise. I’m typing this on my iPhone, etc.)

• Like 2