DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

I find it amazing that people who work for the company who did the "Piggy James" angle are so indignant.  

Working for the company which provides the best professional opportunities at the moment does not amount to an endorsement of everything that company has ever done. 

Not to pick a side in this discussion, but they also recently did something similar with Dana Brooke.

But yes, Nia or others simply working for WWE isn't an endorsement of past scummy shit. I don't think it is anyway...

Now I'm honestly not sure ?

12 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

You think it's amazing that a "journalist" fat-shaming their friend made them indignant?

Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was clumsily trying to be cute talking about her cosmetic surgery, which I'm more than willing to...

Like, I understand there are merits to discussing aesthetics and appearance in many parts of the entertainment business, and especially in professional wrestling. And there's a way to do that.

When it starts being about what Dave finds "attractive," all I hear is "Man, you see her before she got her tits done? VAVAVOOM! Now? *shrugs* Eh." Unsolicited publically in what would for Dave amount to a professional setting. It's not a great look.

• Thanks 1

There's a fair point to be made about the fact that WWE is not a disinterested party in this discussion and it's certainly been one that has contributed to the double standard at play.

I'm not a fan of using it to diminish the point these women are making. Yes they feel more free to push back on Dave Meltzer than they do on their employer. So what?

It's corporate culture vs an outsider (with a poor history of victim blaming, and grossness about looks) who is taken as gospel among marks.

ETA: They are BOTH bad, don't get me wrong.  It takes a lot more to change a company than it does to (hopefully) change a dude's mind.

• Like 1

But I mean, should they then place any blame publicly on WWE or Vince or say something about them too? Or should they say nothing? I honestly don't know what the right move is, but I do think it's shitty that WWE has such a scummy history and the only thing recently called into question is Randy Orton fondling his dong before shaking hands with someone. 

"I thought that they had a cool act in NXT and on the main roster, I don't get a thing out of them. I don't think their promos are particularly good. Their wrestling isn't good. I think Peyton Royce's transformation to look more attractive, I don't know. I don't want to say." - Dave

"She was more attractive in NXT?" - Bryan

"I thought so. Yes. To me, yes. But that's neither here nor there." - Dave

"No one is saying she's unattractive everybody." - Bryan

I know. No shit. I didn't say it at all. She doesn't stand out to me. When she was in NXT, she did..... She was a lot lighter."  - Dave

So if he leaves out that last line, would everyone be ok? When did he say that wasn't true or just an observation? Nobody has a problem with Dave saying they/she is not a over as they were in NXT. Everyone would agree with that. He thinks that her character (everything from her mic skills, wrestling, to her look) was better at NXt.

2 minutes ago, tlk23 said:

So if he leaves out that last line, would everyone be ok? 

No. I think the way he talks about what he finds attractive is yucky, especially when his history is taken into account. 

But if he leaves the bit about her being "lighter" out, he's definitely having a much better day and this doesn't get any traction. He was being too cute and put his ass in the jackpot. 

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

And frankly claiming it's going to cause women to become anorexic is hyperbolic bullshit. 

It takes far less than that to trigger eating disorders.

A neutral "I think she had a better look in NXT [In the context of professional wrestling]" would have been fine.  No one care what you find attractive, nerds.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I was talking to Dave, but if you took offense, perhaps I was talking to you too.

I wasn't involved in your conversation and don't worry you'll never make me lose sleep at night. Also, it was plural so I suppose you were talking to Bryan also.

• Like 1

He absolutely should not have said anything about a specific woman’s attractiveness, positive or not. First of all it’s creepy and no one in the world wants to hear it. But there’s no possible reason for it either. It’s a total lose-lose situation. 

If all the women on the roster started looking really thin, then we should absolutely have a conversation about it. If someone was singled out or punished over a weight issue, we should absolutely be talking about it. Otherwise, there’s nothing at all worth discussing. 

Now that he’s getting jumped on for it, eh, he messed up and he shouldn’t have been talking about it in the first place. After repeatedly apologizing he needs to just log off for awhile though. 

So let me make sure I am right.  Nobody has the right to be offended if you work in the WWE because of Vince right?  Is that the hot take that we are going with now?  

Saudi Arabia is being used the same way people use "chicago" or "Baltimore" to justify other bad things in society.  Yes it sucked and even some of the WWE wrestlers admitted that but doesn't mean you get a free pass because of it

12 minutes ago, matt925 said:

He absolutely should not have said anything about a specific woman’s attractiveness, positive or not. First of all it’s creepy and no one in the world wants to hear it. But there’s no possible reason for it either. It’s a total lose-lose situation. 

If all the women on the roster started looking really thin, then we should absolutely have a conversation about it. If someone was singled out or punished over a weight issue, we should absolutely be talking about it. Otherwise, there’s nothing at all worth discussing. 

Now that he’s getting jumped on for it, eh, he messed up and he shouldn’t have been talking about it in the first place. After repeatedly apologizing he needs to just log off for awhile though. 

Wrestling is a looks driven business. It's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be. He clearly could and should have handled that better, and to me it was obvious he was talking about implants, but both he and Bryan talk about men's appearances all the time when taking into account their ability to be a star. Yes, there is a long history of men deriding women about their appearances, context/history matter, and he needs to be more thoughtful when commenting on such matters, but I don't think it is logical to say he should never talk about wrestlers' looks or attractiveness, because it matters in pro-wrestling, sports, and entertainment. 

His apology, as flawed as it is, is a step in the right direction but guy definitely has an old man's mentality when it comes to women. 

• Like 2