DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

So, I don’t follow Japan at all, but from what I’ve seen, since he’s lost the title; is Okada on this “on my way out, so I’m doing whatever” run? The clips I’ve seen aren’t the same guy I’ve watched before. Not move-wise, just like, character attitude. 

I’m not saying he’s leaving, but, I dunno, anyone wanna correct me or fill me in?

It’s storyline. Broken Okada, basically. He was built up so high, that the fall was always going to be painful. Being champion became how he defined himself, so when he lost it, he basically lost his mind too. He’s doing corny babyface tropes like asking the crowd to smile, giving kids balloons, etc., because he’s convinced they won’t like him now that he’s not on an all-time winning streak—it comes off as weird and unsettling because that isn’t who he is, so he’s bad at it.

The story of the G1 was him gradually finding pieces of himself again, but he couldn’t get all the way back in time to make the finals. So presumably he’ll spend the rest of the year finding the rest of those pieces, adding a few, and going back on the title hunt by next spring.

• Like 1

In the hypothetical (and highly unlikely, knowing how much his ass has been covered over the years) event that the investigation leads to an Orton ouster, I hope Impact shows us that they've really changed and stays away from the overpriced controversy magnet. 

I like Orton's work a lot. But they need to be better than that, especially with the most positive buzz they've had in years. 

On 8/7/2018 at 9:36 PM, Craig H said:

How man of you got into wrestling as kids and how many of you got into wrestling in your teens. And by kids, I mean mainly pre-10. For another example, I recall getting heavily into wrestling when I was 5. I have no idea how or why, but it almost makes me think it was wired in my DNA.

I know I’ve told the story on here before but I enjoy telling it, so bear with me!  I was 10 and had just had my first sleepover without a set bedtime where we tried (and failed) to stay up all night. I was exhausted and my mom set me up with some chips and offered to find something for me to watch.  She stopped on WWF Cavalcade and asked if I wanted to watch it.  I’d never been allowed to watch it because mom thought it was too violent (She was ok with Star Wars and He-Man but didn’t like me playing with GI Joes) but she said it was ok as long as I knew it was fake and if she caught me copying it/fighting with my siblings then it would be no more wrestling.  I wasn’t a violent kid, never really got into any fights but wrestling just spoke to me from the get-go.  As soon as it was over, I flipped through the channels (We only had about 20 channels then...now I’m really dating myself...) and found a WWF Superstars episode, then pored through the TV Guide trying to find more.  This was around October of 1990 because I remember discussing what was in the giant egg with friends at school.   I really only fell out of wrestling after the Benoit murders and it lasted a few years but I slowly got drawn back in.  

BTW, while I loved ‘Real American’, I was never a big Hogan fan, except when he was fighting Iraqui Sympathizer Sgt Slaughter.  I thought Ultimate Warrior was much cooler, liked Superfly (even though he was rarely on) because he was like the biggest high-flyer at the time, hated Dino Bravo the most and was most afraid of Macho King Randy Savage (I was sure his attack on Warrior at a Royal Rumble with the sceptre was real!). 

I was a little too late for Hogan and Warrior so they were never really my bag, I didn't start watching until I was 7 in 1992 and, when I did, Sting was my guy. I mentioned it in the RIP Vader thread but, at that age, I honestly believed Big Van Vader was the most terrifying man on the planet and was going to literally murder Sting and I literally shit in my pants which was normal for me at that age but still.

Anyway, shitting in my pants was enough to hook me in and 26 years later I'm still a fan but not as much as a fan as I used to be because life takes over and that. I don't watch anywhere near the amount of wrestling as I used to.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Wait a second, you mean when a newbie starts in my office and they're being introduced to everyone on their first day, I can't just whip out my todger and then try to shake their hand with my dick hand?

So THAT's why I was sacked from my last job.

That's right. Too much sack. The ratio has to be proper. Wait...what are we talking about again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Victator said:

I look at WWE as a rich man's Herb Abram's UWF.  

Large roster of name talent capable of putting together good matches. 

Titles created on a whim to create moments. 

Feuds never have promising conclusions. 

Talent who gets the biggest push is the promoter. 

Not everything has a one for one comparison. But it is close enough for me. 

There will be one more eventually; an owner found dead covered in vaseline and cocaine.

• Like 1

The greatest thing about the Miz/DB Talking Smack thing was people have been so numbed to terrible plastic emotionless characters in WWE that when something like that happens they think its 100% shoot when in actuality its just he way pro wrestling should be. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Looks like WWE is opening an investigation regarding the dick-and-handshake charges against Randy Orton.

They won't fire him, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'll suspend him for a while.  He's not nearly as important to them as he was back when they let him do whatever the fuck he wanted.  Of course, he's basically a part-timer now, so I don't think that'll really bother him.

• Like 1

Has it only been dick handshakes or has Randy been stink-palming as well?

For those that didn't know, Luke Harper took his ring name took his ring name from combining Jason Lee and his character's name, Brodie Bruce to get Brodie Lee. Without the giant beard, Luke Harper looks quite a bit like Jason Lee.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

The greatest thing about the Miz/DB Talking Smack thing was people have been so numbed to terrible plastic emotionless characters in WWE that when something like that happens they think its 100% shoot when in actuality its just he way pro wrestling should be. 

And of course WWE told us it was not real. 

I have been to more than a few live shows and what I found is that Kayfabe is not dead. That fans want to believe and will if you give them even an inch of wiggle room.  If WWE went to treating everything as real. Most fans would be happy. 

But the idea would embarrass the McMahon family and a small percentage of fans. But Kayfabe is not dead, it is a demon locked in a tomb. 

• Like 5

I know he still gets a pop, but I really struggle with the idea that many people are buying a ticket to see Randy Orton in 2018.

In a sense, he's expendable - I really struggle to see him really working in New Japan/ROH, or even really Impact as it is currently booked. And yeah he's going heel, but it feels like there's nothing much more for him to do in WWE.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I blame Randall's Intermittent Explosive Disorder.

Interesting postscript to this:

I've worked in outpatient mental health since 2002.  In the hodunky, podunky wild of rural SC, it's frequent that I get to do a triage screening of someone who basically tries to feign mental illness for the sake of getting a (often undeserved) disability benefit.

When the IED promo came out, I turned to my friends and said, "I bet you we'll have people come to the clinic this week saying, 'I have Intermittent Explosive Disorder, I wanna get a check started.'"

And yes.  They did.  For a month.  After a hearty eye roll, I would usually stop them and say, "Well, Randy Orton has that too, and he's turned that into a successful wrestling career.  So, get back on the job hunt!  There's still hope for you, soldier!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I think what sells it - at least for me - is the point where Miz says, "... because I need to talk to you REAL QUICK."  It's that emotional stammering, and I've been there before in heated conversations, where you're on the point of losing your grip on the English language because you're so pissed off.  Scripted promos are zingers, flippant jokes, cool one-liners.  Pure emotion is never so linear; pure, unfiltered emotion always leans against the line of physical action.  It draws you in because you know, instead of hitting the title, throwing the mic, throttling the belt, you just know that Miz wants to hit and throw and throttle somebody.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was so used to his old look I feel like Harper kinda looks strange in the bludgeon gear

It's weird seeing Brodie Lee/Luke Harper wrestling in anything other than the dirty jeans and dirty wifebeater combo.

• Like 2