DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Ricky Steamboat is an all time favourite wrestler of mine for the way he wrestled, sold, conducted himself in and out of the ring. You have Steamboat/Savage from WrestleMania III, the '89 Flair/Steamboat trilogy with the Clash of the Champions VI match not only the best of the series, it's one of the best matches in wrestling history and the Beach Blast 1992 match with Rude, the blueprint on how to do that match. You also have Steamboat's three match comeback in 2009 at WrestleMania XXV, the RAW after it and versus Jericho at Backlash.

• Like 2

PWI has confirmed a former WWE champ will return very soon:

Spoiler

Dean Ambrose is, per PWI, booked to be on SummerSlam.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he costs Roman the title, thus cementing him as a hyper-over babyface. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

PWI has confirmed a former WWE champ will return very soon:

Hide contents

Dean Ambrose is, per PWI, booked to be on SummerSlam.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he costs Roman the title, thus cementing him as a hyper-over babyface. 

Isn’t it more likely that 

he helps Rollins regain the ic title by stopping MacInyre’s interference?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caley said:

Isn’t it more likely that 

Reveal hidden contents

he helps Rollins regain the ic title by stopping MacInyre’s interference?!

Spoiler

Dean helps Seth regain the IC title, then Dean and Seth help Roman in beating Brock. Summerslam ends with the reunited Shield standing triumphant in the middle of the ring.

Michael Cole mentioning Ambrose when he hadn't been mentioned in months completely telegraphed his return at Summerslam.

• Like 3

I did as well. I like him even if he does stuff that annoys me sometimes.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  Hide contents

Dean helps Seth regain the IC title, then Dean and Seth help Roman in beating Brock. Summerslam ends with the reunited Shield standing triumphant in the middle of the ring.

Michael Cole mentioning Ambrose when he hadn't been mentioned in months completely telegraphed his return at Summerslam.

Spoiler

I mentioned in the Summerslam thread that a Shield reunion is exactly what should happen be it them helping Roman beat Brock or beating down Braun to keep him from cashing in.

• Like 1

The thing about a possible Savage/Steamboat match in 1995, Randy was a notorious perfectionist. Isn't there a story about them rehearsing the entire Wrestlemania 3 match at Savage's house the week before? I'd imagine if Steamboat were coming back from the injury, Randy would make sure they went over everything in detail before hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I miss Heath Ledger Joker Jon Moxley most of all.

I really hope he’s been working on that reboundy clothesline deal and a few other bits and pieces while he’s been out.

I like the rebound-y clothesline much more than his dangerous-looking (to himself) tope getting wedged into every match. 

• Like 1

Get the pitchforks and torches ready, but I don't "get" the WM III match. I've watched it several different times over the years, but its never blown me away. I got into wrestling in 1989/90, so its not a generational thing, and I like the flair series and love the rude series. I don't watch that much wrestling anymore(despite having a shit ton of dvd's- my early teen self would be astonished), so I'm not sure what it is, perhaps Macho man doesn't hold up for me(I hope not)?

• Like 1

That’s a good point. Within the context of the wrestling in the promotion at that time and specifically that show it’s an anomaly. I didn’t see it until much, much later, but the first time I saw it while watching the entire card. Had there ever been a flurry of nearfalls presented like that in a WWF show before? The pace and momentum of them are so commonplace now it’s easy to overlook how exhilarating that would have been for the average fan at the time.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I did as well. I like him even if he does stuff that annoys me sometimes.

Hide contents

I mentioned in the Summerslam thread that a Shield reunion is exactly what should happen be it them helping Roman beat Brock or beating down Braun to keep him from cashing in.

Spoiler

Preventing the inherently unfair Money In The Bank gimmick from being cashed in is something actual hounds of justice might do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Get the pitchforks and torches ready, but I don't "get" the WM III match. I've watched it several different times over the years, but its never blown me away. I got into wrestling in 1989/90, so its not a generational thing, and I like the flair series and love the rude series. I don't watch that much wrestling anymore(despite having a shit ton of dvd's- my early teen self would be astonished), so I'm not sure what it is, perhaps Macho man doesn't hold up for me(I hope not)?

I recall feeling the same however long ago I saw it. I remember preferring the Maple Leaf Gardens match a good deal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

That’s a good point. Within the context of the wrestling in the promotion at that time and specifically that show it’s an anomaly. I didn’t see it until much, much later, but the first time I saw it while watching the entire card. Had there ever been a flurry of nearfalls presented like that in a WWF show before? The pace and momentum of them are so commonplace now it’s easy to overlook how exhilarating that would have been for the average fan at the time.

While I was answering - it made me think of this

And how I really need to figure out another one