DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:48 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hunter pushed Asuka and Ember Moon to the.... moon.   Vince clearly doesn't think either are stars. Asuka has been completely ruined and Ember Moon is treading water with the Riotts

Well Vince didn't want to hire and/or push Gail Kim because he couldn't even begin to conceive of anyone finding Asian women attractive.  And if the Kurt Angle/Sharmell stroyline is a window into Vince's psyche, he also believes sex with blacks is akin to bestiality.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Well Vince didn't want to hire and/or push Gail Kim because he couldn't even begin to conceive of anyone finding Asian women attractive.  And if the Kurt Angle/Sharmell stroyline is a window into Vince's psyche, he also believes sex with blacks is akin to bestiality.

I think starting around the 2:35 mark describes Vince rather well.

• Haha 5

I was listening on an episode on Exile with Jeff Bailey and he was talking about jawing with fans. And in the old days, he would have let these fans have it, but now, they might complain to the promoter about being harassed and decide not to come back anymore and so he could not risk potentially alienating customers.

A random thought I had.

What is the likelihood of near-miss potential rematch between Steamboat and Savage in 95 ruining the legacy of the Mania match?

Ricky’s injuries may have saved us from what could have potentially been Hogan/Warrior 2 levels of disappointing suck.

But it’s not like they only had one good match.  The Wrestling Classic Match is ok and I vaguely recall at least two IC title matches on Superstars (one of which is the dreaded bell to the throat angle).  But there was also a match at the Maple Leaf that I saw a couple of years ago (late 86?) on the YouTubes that is fucking awesome bloodbath war.  

So they totally could have more than one good match.

But would it have sucked in1995 WCW?

I disagree with the premise that older, sadder versions of guys having a rematch can retroactively tarnish the legacy of their most famous match. It would just be a depressing epilogue to the earlier match. It's the same principle as shitty movie sequels or crappy remakes. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If not for Ricky's injury, I'm sure they could have had a perfectly acceptable 15-20 min ppv or Clash of Champions match. It wouldn't have been bad, just not the lotfy heights of WM3. It happens. Guys age and injuries start to catch up to them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

What is the likelihood of near-miss potential rematch between Steamboat and Savage in 95 ruining the legacy of the Mania match?

Ricky’s injuries may have saved us from what could have potentially been Hogan/Warrior 2 levels of disappointing suck.

But it’s not like they only had one good match.  The Wrestling Classic Match is ok and I vaguely recall at least two IC title matches on Superstars (one of which is the dreaded bell to the throat angle).  But there was also a match at the Maple Leaf that I saw a couple of years ago (late 86?) on the YouTubes that is fucking awesome bloodbath war.  

So they totally could have more than one good match.

But would it have sucked in1995 WCW?

It would have been at worst very good. There is no way Savage and Steamboat would have went into that match lightly. 

Steamboat was still great up til his retirement. Savage was having great matches into 1998. 

Sequels have no bearing on the original for better or worse. 

• Like 4

Steamboat was great when he came back for the Jericho program. He didn’t just have good conditioning; he knew how to work around his limitations and make everything he still could do be compelling. 

Savage was still really good until his knees gave out in 98. They could’ve had a MOTN in 95 without a problem. I’m under the impression that if the stars aligned they could’ve hooked up in TNA and still had a smartly booked match that was fun. That’s mostly based on my favorite Hogan/Sting match being at BFG when one was completely broken down and the other wasn’t too far behind. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I forgot that weird aborted heel run of Steamboat where he sided with R-Truth as random authority figure for about 2 weeks without really doing anything especially heelish, before disappearing all together. 

I will probably sound like Jim Cornette, but Steamboat being booked (or written) as a heel authority figure screams "we don't know 'real' wrestling anymore!" 

• Thanks 1