DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Briscoes as wild flailing monsters in Arena Mexico was everything I've wanted from such a thing for years.

Given their wardrobe, I kept envisioning the Briscoes as a modern day Sheepherders. (Insert chicken farmers joke)

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 8:43 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

We had a discussion similar to this in the Evolution PPV thread. I felt that not "white" exactly but blonde/big boobs seems to be a Vince thing and if you fit that mold of what he deems attractive then maybe you are prioritized but others disagreed and mentioned AJ Lee or Lita, I disagreed with that and said they are outliers. It didnt seem like it was a conversation that was going to go anywhere so we deaded it. 

In other words, I agree kinda sorta with Meltzer but that makes me feel a little dirty :lol:

Honestly, it's a problem for this because yes, there does seem to be a build for blonde women on the main roster.

But it's countered because, if you think about it, Charlotte was the only blonde who got pushed in NXT as a top star, as opposed to Paige, Sasha Banks before she dyed her hair pink, Bayley, Shayna Baszler- plus big stars in NXT like Becky Lynch before she dyed her hair orange, Nikki Cross, the IIconics.

....you know, ALMOST AS IF, Vince McMahon, the man who married a blonde woman, will push blondes as stars, and Triple H, the man who married a brunette woman, will push brunettes! HOW ABOUT THAT??

It' s not just that, but there's the same point there.

It's more than just "blonde/big boobs", but if you think of a lot of the big blonde female stars Vince pushed- Alexa, Charlotte, Michelle McCool, Trish Stratus, Sable...more than just the blonde/big-breasts thing works, but more specifically, two things come to mind:

1) most of them also kind of look relatively similar facially, 

2) Just looking at Linda McMahon, you could perfectly buy that Linda probably looked similar to them when she was younger.

Similarly to that, it can be argued for all the brunettes Hunter is pushing. 

There just seems to be less "it's done out of malice" and more "Vince/Hunter each have 'a type', and they look for women who look like their type."Which, to be honest, any person who's a promoter would probably defer to.

• Like 1

I don't know, I mean AJ Lee, Paige and Nikki Bella combined to absolutely dominate the women's division for about two straight years total.

I said it in the other thread, and I stand by it: I think Vince believes big chested blondes, much like superhero physiqued men, are more likely to get attention from casual and non-fans, so he often defaults to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

Someone is going to either die or get seriously injured soon in the ring.

It’s wrestling though so the person doing the killing/crippling will probably just get a cool nickname out of it like relliK or The Crippler. 

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know, I mean AJ Lee, Paige and Nikki Bella combined to absolutely dominate the women's division for about two straight years total.

I don't think Paige was ever dominant on the main roster. AJ was put with Bryan on Smackdown when it was not a priority at all and on Raw I think she was a Stephanie project. She was booked the way Stephanie books herself. I think I misread Alexa as being Mini H, I think she is Stephanie's new project, since she is booked nearly identical to AJ Lee.

But I think the super long AJ Lee was at the very least partially to pacify CM Punk. 

Nikki would be a combination of dating Cena and the reality show, 

That all said, liking big boobed blondes is not exactly a rare fetish.

Not related to the discussion, but the Paige debut segment is so bad and made Paige look so shitty right out of the gate  She comes out in full wrestling gear with NXT belt and interrupts AJ saying she wanted to congratulate her on beating the entire roster (which is a load of shit in of itself) and AJ feeling rightfully confident, challenges Paige to a title match. AJ won a 50 on one handicap match, she probably thought she could win an open challenge as a heel. Paige gets squashed and only wins after slipping on a banana peel.

That segment made everyone involved look bad. WWE has improved in a lot of ways as far as in ring goes, but its remarkable how the booking is still that bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean the three of them literally combined to hold the belt for nearly two straight years without anyone else holding it.

Still outliers in comparison to the screen time and investment in Sunny, Sable, Trish, Torrie Wilson, Kelly Kelly, Michelle McCool, Charlotte Flair, Alexa Bliss, Carmella.   AJ wasn't booked as "beautiful" she was booked as crazy.   Mickie was booked as crazy and "piggy".   AJ in her own words says what the office thought of her. 

Vince is booking the women's divisions based on his own ideals of what a "star" is supposed to look like. He is doing the same thing with the women as he does with the men.  Wrestling be damned,  crowd reactions be damned, etc.