DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I’m not really sure how I feel about WWE celebrating this particular spot.  This is just hideous.

Less than 10 years later, Mike Awesome would die from hanging himself at the age of 42.  No connection, I’m sure.

Not that I think it ends well for anyone, but Penta always seemed like a merch goldmine with his look and WWE's enthusiasm for marketing catchphrases/symbols/etc. Was surprised there never seemed to be more interest there post-AAA, beyond whatever LU entanglements they still had.

Fenix's ceiling would be Kalisto Negro or some shit, outside of like him and Dorada waging a TRUE LUCHA INSURRECTION~ against the House Party Americans.

Yeah, I just commented about this match in the podcast thread. Tony and Conrad reviewed Heatwave 98 and I thought I would watch it with them. I couldn't make it through this match. It's just so disgusting knowing what we know now. Disgusting and sad.

• Like 2

Like Casey said, I have zero faith Penta or Fenix will be used remotely well beyond NXT. Everyone just gets wasted on the main roster. NXT has an incredible roster now, but out of everyone there, I see that maybe only Adam Cole will have major success on the main roster and even that is doubtful because he's small. Imagine what Vince would do to someone like Strong once Vince pays attention to and remembers that Strong sounds like Stevie from Eastbound and Down.

Not to mention that for the most part, being a lucha guy and/or having a mask nearly dooms you to 205 Live. 

I'm starting to hear enough weird shit from people that I can't share about it that I have no doubt whatsoever that the story is legit, though.

I don't think it legally CAN happen but who knows.  Ricochet got cockblocked by the same contract.

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

The Regal/Ambrose matches were in FCW, though. 

Close enough, don't make me find a list of Deep South matches.

Watching that clip a few times, at least it looks like Awesome's head doesn't hit the damn floor, but it does go through the table, tucked head or not. Considering the amount of times Awesome did that spot to Tanaka and just obliterated him with shit, the fact Tanaka's still alive, still totally coherent and still wrestling is kind of astonishing.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I've never seen someone point this out and it's always been something I've noticed, but the man in the yellow shirt and the woman in the black tank top next to him give ZERO reaction. Everyone around them goes nuts and those two are like...cardboard cutouts. 

The guy in yellow moves his arms around and stuff. The woman literally makes no movement of any kind. I'm curious if the old lady just sat there too.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I’m not really sure how I feel about WWE celebrating this particular spot.  This is just hideous.

Less than 10 years later, Mike Awesome would die from hanging himself at the age of 42.  No connection, I’m sure.

This was at one point one of my all-time favourite shows, but it's been years since I've seen it. I'm not sure how I'll feel about a lot of it today considering my shifting preferences in wrestling styles and concerns like the ones you lay out. 

20 fucking years. Ouch. 

1 hour ago, Cyanide said:

Fenix's ceiling would be Kalisto Negro or some shit, outside of like him and Dorada waging a TRUE LUCHA INSURRECTION~ against the House Party Americans.

Fenix can tell great, gritty stories and has tremendous physical charisma as a sympathetic babyface working from underneath. I have him pegged as a guy who could get to the Rey Mysterio level if Vince didn't have rocks in his head and hate masks. 

• Like 2

I'm mystified by why there seems to be so much anger online (not here of course) about the Becky/Carmella match at Summerslam changing to Becky/Charlotte/Carmella. They love working against each other, it will make for a better match (Carmella is easier to carry when you have two strong wrestlers rather than one, though I do think she's looked a bit better in her last two singles matches now Ellsworth is gone), it raises more interesting story possibilities than just 'Becky beat Carmella once, beats her again the same way' or 'Carmella cheats Becky', and even raises the intriguing prospect of a proper Charlotte/Becky feud to culminate at Evolution. Even the storyline presented the change as the result of Carmella's actions (insulting Paige) rather than Charlotte demanding a shot, yet it seems to be getting widely perceived as 'proof' that Charlotte is female Roman Reigns because some fans are so annoyed that on paper Becky might not win. While everyone has favourites, its a shame when people put that preference ahead of the story actually being told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Watching that clip a few times, at least it looks like Awesome's head doesn't hit the damn floor, but it does go through the table, tucked head or not. Considering the amount of times Awesome did that spot to Tanaka and just obliterated him with shit, the fact Tanaka's still alive, still totally coherent and still wrestling is kind of astonishing.

Yes Tanaka took the majority of shit in these matches and never did some crazy shit after all the punishment his brain took.  

Awesome killed himself after his wife divorced him and took custody of his son that he was super close with. Chair shots though. 

14 minutes ago, RIShane said:

I'm mystified by why there seems to be so much anger online (not here of course) about the Becky/Carmella match at Summerslam changing to Becky/Charlotte/Carmella. They love working against each other, it will make for a better match (Carmella is easier to carry when you have two strong wrestlers rather than one, though I do think she's looked a bit better in her last two singles matches now Ellsworth is gone), it raises more interesting story possibilities than just 'Becky beat Carmella once, beats her again the same way' or 'Carmella cheats Becky', and even raises the intriguing prospect of a proper Charlotte/Becky feud to culminate at Evolution. Even the storyline presented the change as the result of Carmella's actions (insulting Paige) rather than Charlotte demanding a shot, yet it seems to be getting widely perceived as 'proof' that Charlotte is female Roman Reigns because some fans are so annoyed that on paper Becky might not win. While everyone has favourites, its a shame when people put that preference ahead of the story actually being told.

Charlotte is already a 6x champion. she's held a belt for 585 days in the last 3 years. my guess is that people are ready for her to not be in the title picture and let other wrestlers shine.

i don't think too many people are clamoring for a run of Carmella singles matches, but i could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, RIShane said:

... it raises more interesting story possibilities than just 'Becky beat Carmella once, beats her again the same way' or 'Carmella cheats Becky', and even raises the intriguing prospect of a proper Charlotte/Becky feud to culminate at Evolution. ...

Even the Charlotte/Becky feud thing, and how Smackdown ended, shows the other reason.

The way this happened reeks of "Charlotte will win and Becky will turn heel in anger at her", and it's just an example of WWE being completely tone-deaf in their booking. If there's a Roman Reigns comparison for Charlotte, it would be there: WWE is apparently taking the babyface a lot of fans got behind and turn them heel, to prop up a babyface who not as many people have gotten behind and is honestly BETTER as a heel than a babyface, solely because WWE cast this person as the star, so they're the star, dammit.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Fenix can tell great, gritty stories and has tremendous physical charisma as a sympathetic babyface working from underneath. I have him pegged as a guy who could get to the Rey Mysterio level if Vince didn't have rocks in his head and hate masks. 

Oh, for sure. I dig the hell out of Fenix. The Grave Consequences match vs Mil Muertes is a masterpiece and exactly the kind of thing you could still work as a major WWE story. I just don't think we live in a world where that happens unless they're already coming in with a major rub from elsewhere, a la Rey.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even the Charlotte/Becky feud thing, and how Smackdown ended, shows the other reason.

The way this happened reeks of "Charlotte will win and Becky will turn heel in anger at her", and it's just an example of WWE being completely tone-deaf in their booking. If there's a Roman Reigns comparison for Charlotte, it would be there: WWE is apparently taking the babyface a lot of fans got behind and turn them heel, to prop up a babyface who not as many people have gotten behind and is honestly BETTER as a heel than a babyface, solely because WWE cast this person as the star, so they're the star, dammit.

Sure, a Becky heel turn would be risky (I think she's a good enough actress to pull it off especially give her past heel role on the indies, but she also has a lot of love from fans for her work as a face), though I think ultimately the alignments depend on what's happening on Raw with Ronda. If Ronda's staying face all the way through Mania, then Charlotte will most likely turn at some point later this year, while a Ronda heel turn down the line makes a Charlotte extended face run much more likely.

What happens if Becky wins and Charlotte turns heel because she's jealous and wants to be champion? It's a natural thing to happen, yet everyone is already up in arms because they think Becky is going to turn.

Even if Becky turns, she's going to be in the main women's storyline on Smackdown. What's so bad about that?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Even if Becky turns, she's going to be in the main women's storyline on Smackdown. What's so bad about that?

The complaint will be about them not listening to fans or something along those lines.

Personally, I'm not fussed at all. I like Becky's work. I like Charlotte's work. The match will be better because Carmella likely won't be expected to work a heat segment for more than half of it. 

I'm hoping the Smackdown women's match ends with Becky winning the belt from Carmella and Charlotte turning heel.  Personally, Charlotte was one of my favorite characters when she was a heel on RAW but I've been basically apathetic since she went to SD and turned babyface.

My prediction would be Becky is the one that turns heel.

I'm kinda fearing that Carmella dropping falls to both Charlotte and Becky in recent weeks means she's retaining - though Meltzer thinks they'll want to get the belts on someone who's ringwork is stronger heading into Evolution.

I still don't understand how the SDL title picture doesn't include Asuka.  She doesn't even have a match at SummerSlam, does she?