DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

"Leavin' Sacramento" is a classic heel trashing of the city that the heel is in. 

I still burst out laughing at how mean and juvenile it is. 

Yeah, Hollywood Rock was the best incarnation of The Rock. Unfortunately, he almost immediately got back over as a face after the turn, only like after three months of heelery IIRC. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

August 1996 - his last match before the surgery was August 5th.

He was back September 23rd - and then fought Muta in THAT match the next month

1745363_orig.png

Forgot all about that match so went back and watched it. What a spectacle. Unless the blood is flowing Muta in gimmick might be the most boring wrestler on the planet just because that's part of his mannerisms, but the outfit in this one alone makes it worth watching. Really great table piledriver, and then Liger going homicidal... it's just fun. Goofy, and a long fifteen minutes even though they did a lot of different things, but fun. 

EDIT: Also, Tiger coming out on the ramp and chiding Muta "YOU NO FIGHT HERE" is a hoot. 

That match is brutal. I haven't seen it in forever, but I definitely remember that it was the first non-NWA or WCW Muta match that I had seen because I already loved Muta, but that took my admiration for him as a wrestler way, way up at the time. 

I guess that consensus (?) is that Muta is boring or whatever, but as a kid watching Worldwide or Saturday Night, he had mystique and came off more like he was a methodical killer than just dull. 

• Like 2

In America I think the gimmick was more fresh and the bursts of speed were more present. He had finally put it together after working it out in Puerto Rico and it definitely had a mystery about it. On home soil I think he was more content to dog it, until he revised the gimmick, added the Shining Wizard, got old, etc. Now young athletic Keiji Mutoh out of gimmick is a different story and it's really a tale of two wrestlers. 

Something Jericho said in his first book was that Mutoh had "red light fever" -- when the cameras were on, he was, and when they weren't, he wasn't. I think it just depended on the day really. 

• Like 2

I'd also like to add that if you go back and watch the '80s PR footage, Savio Vega as TNT was doing Muta better than Muta was at the time, and wonder how much of an influence they had on each other. And as far as Jericho is concerned he worked with Mutoh on house shows so if he was dogging it on THOSE, it may be like "you think some of the televised stuff is bad?"

*sigh* Should I even ask what's in the cruisers' Tweets? 

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Lucky for them (I guess), Mike Thernovith thinks rape is funny, so they don't have to worry about this becoming a big deal.  

Hey watch it bud, if you make fun of his lisp, he might just come out of his wife's parents' basement and sic a bunch of his unemployed deadbeat rape apologist friends on you. 

• Haha 3

I think you can just search for the username/handle followed by any trigger-word you want to search for and it will find any Tweets mentioning both, whether actually from that individual themselves or something someone Tweeted TO that individual.

Recently, I’ve rewatched many of NXT’s best matches in history to construct a top 10 list of NXT’s best matches.

1. Gargano/Almas Philly

2. Zayn/Neville R Evolution

3. DIY/Revival Toronto

4. Nakamura/Zayn Dallas

5. Dunne/Bate Chicago

6. Sasha/Bayley Brooklyn

7. Gargano/Ciampa NOLA

8. Cesaro/Zayn Arrival

9. Sasha/Bayley Respect

10. NA Title Ladder Match NOLA

The two that I agonized over the most was the #6-7 slots and I couldn’t figure which I found to be better is Sasha/Bayley Brooklyn and Gargano/Ciampa NOLA. I gave Sasha/Bayley the slight edge because I was invested throughout the whole match while Gargano/Ciampa did have dull parts and there was too much downtime between spots. 

What do you think of the list?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'd also like to add that if you go back and watch the '80s PR footage, Savio Vega as TNT was doing Muta better than Muta was at the time, and wonder how much of an influence they had on each other. And as far as Jericho is concerned he worked with Mutoh on house shows so if he was dogging it on THOSE, it may be like "you think some of the televised stuff is bad?"

*sigh* Should I even ask what's in the cruisers' Tweets? 

Cedric was telling "dead babies" jokes.