DVDVR Message Board

SDL Is Joe Is Money, Not Mella - 7/31/18

Curt McGirt

Usos/Bar was great. Not sure who I would rather face Harper/Rowan between the Bar and New Day. Hopefully it gets the time to be something worthwhile regardless.

Zelina dragged Lana to something not terrible.

Dug Joe's promo.

The Miz/Bryan segment was mostly good.

Loved everything they did with Becky, Carmela, and Charlotte. Charlotte/Carmella was far better this time around than the last. I'm kind of torn on Charlotte being added in the Summerslam match. I'm really hoping they keep this Becky's moment to shine, but I fear we get Carmella retaining again which would suck. It does feel like the quality of the match has improved with it being a triple threat now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Naomi. Pretty easy to do, too. Two-time SDL women's champ, won the first-ever WM women's battle royal, where's her shot at Carmella in the supposed land of opportunity? Build her up a bit post SummerSlam and have her win at Evolution.

Totally down with that. then Charlotte/Becky could happen separate. Seems quite a few people disappear on SDL like that, wish they did more with Sonya Deville while the IIconics have been mostly jobbers after a strong debut.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Usos/Bar was great. Not sure who I would rather face Harper/Rowan between the Bar and New Day. Hopefully it gets the time to be something worthwhile regardless.

Can't go wrong with either. I'd go for the Bar for power vs. power and smacking the shit outta each other.

I wasn't too into Zelina/Lana but I guess it was as good as we were gonna get.

I did like Charlotte/Carmella especially the ending sequence. I figured Summerslam looked to be Becky's moment, epsecially with all of the buildup, so having Charlotte added to the mix is certainly interesting. I also liked that they had Becky none too pleased about it. And Carmella was savage with the Paige burn lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, when Becky and Charlotte start fighting with each other after Summerslam, is Paige going to send them to therapy too?

As demonstrated by her brilliant trades in the Shake-Up, Paige has been the best GM ever, let's hope she doesn't start spoiling her record so far!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RIShane said:

As demonstrated by her brilliant trades in the Shake-Up, Paige has been the best GM ever, let's hope she doesn't start spoiling her record so far!

Yeah, Paige is a competent GM like William Regal is at NXT.

Don't know why this popped into my head, but it would've been funny if Rusev came storming out wearing flip flops. Maybe I'm having a flashback to the Willie Nelson photo. 

Lana completely ditched the accent there

How baller was that final sequence in the tag match btw? Also loved their little do-si-do on the outside. "Full five pancakes!"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I might actually be coming around on Carmella a bit because she's such a shithead of a heel. It doesn't hurt having Charlotte in there to do a bunch of absurd athletic things to carry their match either (though she needs to drop that ring barrier moonsault, that thing is screaming "new injury"). Speaking of the ring barriers hot damn did An Uso die on one tonight. 

Speaking as someone who's been critical of her, I thought Carmella did pretty well tonight to be honest--her promo was good and she was getting more heat than she has for a while, helped by how into Becky and Charlotte the crowd were, and the logical storytelling throughout the main event. One other storytelling beat I like is that Charlotte didn't return demanding the title shot, she genuinely did come back to save her best friend, its just that Carmella being a jerk to Paige lead to Paige creating the match.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If Aiden gets booted from Rusev Day, he should bring in his wife to get his back. Rusev & Lana vs. Aiden & Shaul Guerrero

BTW, I love when Lana drops the accent. Now is the time for Lana and Rusev to embrace America as a tribute to Nikolai Volkoff.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2018 at 12:24 AM, The Green Meanie said:

So something I noticed that happened both last week and this week - What's the deal with the stand-in refs? SDL is the only one that uses them, and only for pull-apart brawls. Is it just an issue of them not having enough actual refs so they use extras? Are they local wrestlers or dudes that actually travel around with the show? Are they the same ones from last week? So many questions!

I know some of the regular Smackdown refs(as well as Drake Wuertz) were learning how to do some of the production roles backstage this week, that's why they had a few other NXT refs show up tonight on-camera.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Quit giving them ideas!!!

Brace yourself for Sasha & Bayley vs. Charlotte & Becky as the Tag Title Tournament Finals. I also noticed Ronda inadvertently cost Nattie her match on RAW. The only saving grace will be when Shayna Baszler debuts and beats Carmella in eight seconds some time after Summerslam. She can even brag that she won a title on the main roster before her fellow much higher profile Horsewoman.  

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Brace yourself for Sasha & Bayley vs. Charlotte & Becky as the Tag Title Tournament Finals. I also noticed Ronda inadvertently cost Nattie her match on RAW. The only saving grace will be when Shayna Baszler debuts and beats Carmella in eight seconds some time after Summerslam. She can even brag that she won a title on the main roster before her fellow much higher profile Horsewoman.  

With how badly everything involving Asuka after the Royal Rumble had been booked, I have no faith that Baszler's booking would be any better. Baszler would most likely end up on Raw with Ronda, so WWE can have them trading wins and losses into irrelevance. If Shayna ended up on Smackdown, she'd suffer the same fate as Asuka, losing to the far inferior Carmella due to Ellsworth chicanery, looking like a fucking dolt in the process. What I'm trying to say is I selfishly want Shayna Baszler to look like a killing machine in nxt as long as possible.

• Like 1