DVDVR Message Board

SDL Is Joe Is Money, Not Mella - 7/31/18

Curt McGirt

What, nobody else is gonna start a thread? Okay then, first time in a week or two since I watched, so I'll go. 

Joe killed that promo and went low on AJ, then stomped off like a boss. Which he is, of course. We also got a great tag match and solid enough women's main along with all the storybuilding gaga. Also, I can't be the only person that thought Orton was gonna waterboard Hardy. 

Ah! And Zelina Vega has a hell of a Dragon sleeper. SANADA could learn a lesson from her. She is also tiny and watching her climb Lana like a tree was funny. 

I might actually be coming around on Carmella a bit because she's such a shithead of a heel. It doesn't hurt having Charlotte in there to do a bunch of absurd athletic things to carry their match either (though she needs to drop that ring barrier moonsault, that thing is screaming "new injury"). Speaking of the ring barriers hot damn did An Uso die on one tonight. 

• Like 2

Joe promo was good per usual.

Becky was always my favorite Horsewoman and it sucks she's probably not gonna get the title with Charlotte in the mix.

Still dig Bryan/Miz.

Really dumb that the Usos get to say the homophobic slur part but not the 'ass' part.

It's insane how much better this is than Raw, which is as bad as it's been this decade 

The women's match worries me. There's going to be fuckery with Ellsworth and Carmella retaining the title. 

Samoa Joe vs. AJ is going to shit all over Brock vs. Roman and the presumed Braun cash in nonsense.

Miz needs to write new material. How many times can you knock indy wrestling? Does he get his material from wreddit? The fake crazy eyes and OTT yelling do nothing to dispel the notion that he's still the douche from The Real World cosplaying as a wrestler.

I hope The Bludgeon Brothers and The Bar will be beating the tar out of each other at Summerslam, although my preference would have been Sanity over The Bar.

• Like 2

Carmella is likely retaining. Thought Becky had a shot of winning when it was one-on-one. But the triple threat means Charlotte/Becky will be pitted against one another, allowing Carmella to sneak by. It feels like they're moving toward a possible WWE 4 Horsewomen vs MMA 4 Horsewomen match for Evolution, though I may be overthinking that.

Anyone hoping for Rusev to become face can forget it. Lana is going to feel bad for English and rightfully angry with RuRu for not being there for her when it counts. I hope I'm wrong, because that's too close to the dreaded Rusev/Lana/Ziggler/Summer Rae mess. 

On the bright side, Lana/Zelina was OK. Lana is still a bit lost in the ring, but she's making efforts to improve and Zelina helped her along.

Joe's promo was good, but sort of just there without Styles to respond. But they're clearly stalling on purpose, so no biggie. Joe is just as likely to gas out as Brock, so both of those matches are likely to be a wash.

Usos-Bar was great, as expected. Didn't care for Bryan's part of his segment with Miz.

SDL is fine, but I don't ever warm up to it. 

31 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Joe is just as likely to gas out as Brock, so both of those matches are likely to be a wash.

People on Wreddit are so damn excited for that AJ/Joe match and I don’t get why. A large portion if not majority of Wreddit legitimately believes it’s going to be a classic match. I really think the match will be decent maybe good at best. Whenever I mention that Joe really can’t have great matches anymore, I get downvoted to hell.

20 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

You noticed that Wreddit loves to shit on indie wrestling and just non-WWE wresting in general too?

Yeah. That's why I stay here, for mostly civilized discussions and open-mindedness...and to and relate everything somehow to Seinfeld. It's a gift.

I thought it was a strong episode, with some great promos (I wish that the babies-crying bit in the Miz segment was shorter, but the actual promo was quality) and good story development. Happy to see the Bar back in-action, as well. From elsewhere online I've seen a lot of angst about Charlotte being added to the women's title match, but it means that Carmella doesn't have to be exposed as much in-ring, and they're clearly going to be developing a Becky/Charlotte story out of this, given that the last shot of the show was Becky's reaction rather than Charlotte's celebration. Perhaps it'll be the SDL women's division's main story heading into the Australian tour and Evolution.  Also, isn't it cool that in 2018, an episode of SDL can have more women's matches (2) than men's (1) and a women's main-event, and its completely normal?

Charlotte's post-match promo is nice, too:

Really dug Carmella/Charlotte. Stood out on a show with not a whole lot on it. At this point with Carmella beating Charlotte twice, Asuka twice, while Becky beat everyone else, I kinda wanted Carmella to retain and go into Evolution as champ but I don't know who would beat her at that point. Now I figure Charlotte's gonna win the title to steal Becky's moment and Charlotte/Becky will be the SDL title match for Evolution. Thought Bryan and Miz both had very strong mic work in their seg, plus a highly entertaining episode of Miz & Mrs. to follow.

• Like 2

So something I noticed that happened both last week and this week - What's the deal with the stand-in refs? SDL is the only one that uses them, and only for pull-apart brawls. Is it just an issue of them not having enough actual refs so they use extras? Are they local wrestlers or dudes that actually travel around with the show? Are they the same ones from last week? So many questions!

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Miz needs to write new material. How many times can you knock indy wrestling? Does he get his material from wreddit? The fake crazy eyes and OTT yelling do nothing to dispel the notion that he's still the douche from The Real World cosplaying as a wrestler.

Wait, he's not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Really dug Carmella/Charlotte. Stood out on a show with not a whole lot on it. At this point with Carmella beating Charlotte twice, Asuka twice, while Becky beat everyone else, I kinda wanted Carmella to retain and go into Evolution as champ but I don't know who would beat her at that point. Now I figure Charlotte's gonna win the title to steal Becky's moment and Charlotte/Becky will be the SDL title match for Evolution. Thought Bryan and Miz both had very strong mic work in their seg, plus a highly entertaining episode of Miz & Mrs. to follow.

Naomi. Pretty easy to do, too. Two-time SDL women's champ, won the first-ever WM women's battle royal, where's her shot at Carmella in the supposed land of opportunity? Build her up a bit post SummerSlam and have her win at Evolution.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah. That's why I stay here, for mostly civilized discussions and open-mindedness.. and to and relate everything somehow to Seinfeld. It's a gift.

The worst part is that they like to paint Wreddit as being anti-WWE and pro non-WWE wrestling when that could’nt be further from the truth.

Looking at you, r/SCJerk.

Bryan openly advocating to hold onto grudges until you can kick the other person's ass was kinda problematic. Miz's part was excellent outside of the dumb baby gag. Joe's promo was damn good. Loved what I managed to catch of Usos/Bar. I knew Zelina was tiny, but goddamn did Lana look like a redwood next to her. Found Charlotte/Carmella to be okay, but that barrier moonsault is no bueno. Especially if she's gonna miss as bad as it looked like she did tonight.