DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed 9/30/18

matt925

23 hours ago, Sublime said:

That main event has got me interested in this much more. I'm interested in Cody/Juice but I'm really glad that is not closing the show. Think it's going to be an entertaining show at least. Always like to see ACH working NJPW shows hope he gets on more regularly the juniors need more talent cycling through. Similarly nice to so SCU on it also, would like to see them in the Tag League this year.

I had a hard time buying ACH as a junior during BOSJ this year- he looked so much bigger than all the other juniors, and might even be bigger than some of the heavies.

Short version: Okada also thinks they're running too many shows, and (as a result of this?) the cards are a bit too ROH-y; despite this, he's not nearly the gatekeeper Tanahashi is, with regards to what matches fans chant "New Japan" at. (Which is to say, Golden Lovers versus Young Bucks counts as representative to him.)

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Short version: Okada also thinks they're running too many shows, and (as a result of this?) the cards are a bit too ROH-y; despite this, he's not nearly the gatekeeper Tanahashi is, with regards to what matches fans chant "New Japan" at. (Which is to say, Golden Lovers versus Young Bucks counts as representative to him.)

Tanahashi’s complete disdain for the style of Omega and the Bucks and such is kinda hilarious.

8 hours ago, alstein said:

I had a hard time buying ACH as a junior during BOSJ this year- he looked so much bigger than all the other juniors, and might even be bigger than some of the heavies.

NJPW still has the high 100kg limit for juniors, though.

9 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Considering that he helped Young Bucks to get into NJPW it would be a bit weird if he criticized them now.

7 hours ago, Archibald said:

Considering that he helped Young Bucks to get into NJPW it would be a bit weird if he criticized them now.

He was/is also Ospreay's big advocate, if I remember right, so he seems to appreciate that style.

I guess I just find Tanahashi's opinion a bit... not ironic, exactly, but a little funny. I'm old enough to remember when he was too flashy, too "sports entertainment", too big a departure from real Japanese heavyweight wrestling. (Shawn Michaels is his favorite wrestler!) But I guess there are few things more pro wrestling than thinking you pushed things just far enough at your peak, whereas anyone after goes too far. And maybe I'm being worked a little. Maybe a lot. Oh well.

Anyway this card looks really fun, if not blow-away, spend-the-savings-I-don't-have-to-go-watch-live essential.

• Like 1

With the caveat that back-to-back posting is kinda bad manners, I thought this was interesting. Maybe I'm not a representative sample, but if I'm going to a New Japan show, I want to see the old hands. Even if we assume many attendees are Omega/Okada era converts, it might be nice to introduce them to some past stars, if only to drive a little World traffic outside of live shows. And for those who have been around a bit, it would be really cool to see... like, half of those guys. (Kojima, Tenzan, Nagata, Makabe, Taichi, TAKA, Despy, Ishimori, if I'm listing.)

I get it, though. You can fill out openers with American talent, which probably saves money.

Does anyone have any idea (or some old tweet/post/whatever) how many tickets they sold before any matches were announced? Because I feel like neither Cody's nor Omega's matches moved any tickets. I mean, sure, you can rationalize that Cody/Juice is not a big match (but Cody/Aldis supposedly is?) or not that this was too late for Omega to move any tickets, but I wonder how much they actually draw and how much it is NJPW brand.

As for bringing older guys, well, it is not only older guys. Where is Taichi? Where is Desperado? Where is Ishimori? These are wrestlers that have programs and are not featured at all. Ok, Taichi is "divisive" and Ishimori is not really their guy, but Desperado? He is their home grown talent who keeps going up and next year is likely to be key wrestler in Junior division.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Does anyone have any idea (or some old tweet/post/whatever) how many tickets they sold before any matches were announced? Because I feel like neither Cody's nor Omega's matches moved any tickets. I mean, sure, you can rationalize that Cody/Juice is not a big match (but Cody/Aldis supposedly is?) or not that this was too late for Omega to move any tickets, but I wonder how much they actually draw and how much it is NJPW brand.

As for bringing older guys, well, it is not only older guys. Where is Taichi? Where is Desperado? Where is Ishimori? These are wrestlers that have programs and are not featured at all. Ok, Taichi is "divisive" and Ishimori is not really their guy, but Desperado? He is their home grown talent who keeps going up and next year is likely to be key wrestler in Junior division.

Can’t really find anything from right before matches were announced but they sold about 2100 tickets on the first day.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Even though that was a really good opener, I spent most of the time staring at the empty seats. At least they sound good. 

And everybody is listening to Japanese commentary, right? 

A very disappointing weekend for the NJPW/ROH coalition in the attendance department.

Especially coming off the high of the MSG sellout and the success of All In, this was a hard pill to swallow.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

How did they not at least move people to fill all the seats on the hard cam side?

NJPW generally tends to show both sides of the crowd during shows in contrast to WWE which only shows one so I assume they didn’t want one side to look absolutely embarrassing.