DVDVR Message Board

NXT July 25, 2018

droneking

13 hours ago, turk128 said:

Also, Drake''s first ref bump I believe.

Of course it being Drake he takes it from the apron to the exposed concrete. CZW! CZW!

I don't know. maybe I need to let it sit for a bit and give it a rewatch, but it just didn't strike me as an all time great. It was good and while the finish was a lot of ga ga it protected Black, continued the Gargano story and put heat on Ciampa it just never really grabbed me.

Honestly, whenever I look back on this match, I'll always remember the crowd. It's rare for a Full Sail crowd(or any WWE crowd these days) to be so on the edge of their seat. It's like they knew the result that was coming, but were hoping like hell they could will it the other way. Some have suggested that Ciampa's "heat" is just the crowd playing along, but if they are, I'll still fucking take it.

• Like 2

Amen to that. Being part of the narrative in the traditional sense as opposed to clever chants or digging the cool heels is so much more enjoyable to witness and to do as a fan myself. Seems like it is getting more and more lost these days. Thank goodness for little kids and old school southern wrasslin' crowds.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

It would be nice if a smart crowd played along and just cheered faces and booed heels, instead of what they normally do.

I miss the Full Sail crowd that shouted down the handful of fans that tried to start a “Leo Kruger” chant during Adam Rose’s debut.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It would be nice if a smart crowd played along and just cheered faces and booed heels, instead of what they normally do.

It's much more fun to cheer who you like and boo who you don't like, regardless of their heel/face status.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's much more fun to cheer who you like and boo who you don't like, regardless of their heel/face status.

Maybe, but it ruins moments/matches/shows all the time. The crowds that put themselves over the performers are always more annoying than the crowds that buy into their roles as part of the show. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're really doing the heels a disservice by cheering them.  The ones that actually "get" wrestling don't want you to cheer for them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jiraffejustin said:

Maybe, but it ruins moments/matches/shows all the time. The crowds that put themselves over the performers are always more annoying than the crowds that buy into their roles as part of the show. 

We'll never see eye to eye on that. I don't think it ruins anything. People reacting how they want to react is organic. There's nothing organic or fun about a crowd reacting as they're supposed to, as if there is a light up applause box.

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You're really doing the heels a disservice by cheering them.  The ones that actually "get" wrestling don't want you to cheer for them.

Then so be it, I'm doing them a disservice.

17 minutes ago, jiraffejustin said:

Then it defeats the purpose of having them at all. Putting yourself over the art form defeats the purpose of having the art form at all. 

There's no sense going around and around with this discussion. I'll enjoy wrestling how I want, you enjoy it how you want.

Je te fais mes adieux.

Fight! Fight! Fight! :) As with any entertainment/art it will be appreciated and enjoyed in a very personal way. I think we can all get behind that idea. However if I never heard "What?!!" chants or "2...Sweeeeet" again I would be very happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's no sense going around and around with this discussion. I'll enjoy wrestling how I want, you enjoy it how you want.

Je te fais mes adieux.

Hey man, you buy your ticket, you can cheer who you want.  But I don't know how you can sleep at night knowing that you're the reason why Marty Scurll is a thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Hey man, you buy your ticket, you can cheer who you want.  But I don't know how you can sleep at night knowing that you're the reason why Marty Scurll is a thing.

I sleep like a baby. Woop Woop

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:19 AM, Greggulator said:

That match was awesome last night. But lest we forget Black also had the Velveteen Dream match that was fantastic. Not sure this is "clearly" his best match when he's had two of the best NXT matches of all-time. 

In terms of this year, I still say his match at Wrestlemania Takeover against Almas was better but the emotions of having such an incredibly hated guy in Ciampa has to be taken into consideration