DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 8/16/18

*Taped for Xplosion: The Cult of Lee (Trevor Lee & Caleb Konley) def. The Deaners (Cody & Jake) when Caleb pinned Jake
*Taped for Xplosion: Rebel def. The Undead Maid of Honor

Impact Wrestling - Airing August 16, 2018 from the Rebel Complex in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

*Fenix def. Sami Callihan after Pentagon Jr. countered oVe's interference.

*Johnny Impact def. Jimmy Jacobs via DQ when Kongo Kong interferes. Afterwards, they beat down Johnny but he fights back and hits Kongo with a tornado DDT on the ramp then knocks out Jacobs with the ring steps.

*Impact Worlds Champ Austin Aries comes out for a promo. Aries introduces his new insurance policy, Killer Kross. Eddie Edwards interrupts and attacks Kross with the kendo stick to no effect and Kross chokes Eddie out.

*Eli Drake (w/ Trevor Lee & Caleb Konley) def. Joe Hendry (w/ Grado & Katarina) after Hendry was distracted by Grado arguing with Trevor & Caleb at ringside.

*Allie def. Su Yung via DQ when Tessa Blanchard interferes

The Aries/Kross pairing sounds interesting. I mean, evetually it has to lead to Aries saying the wrong thing or doing to something to anger Kross, Kross destroying Aries, and going after the title. 

In the meantime, I'd like an Aries/Edwards program. I've enjoyed hardcore Eddie Edwards.

• Like 1

It says a lot when I read Impact spoilers and there’s things I’m like “yeah, not sure about that” and I don’t immediately come on here poop all over it.

Im much more prepared to wait and see how things fit once they add in promos and vignettes.

On the other hand I still feel like we are never more than maybe 6 weeks away from Jarrett somehow being world champ again.

I had access to Pop so I decided to watch tonight’s Impact.

Thought the Neidhart graphic at the beginning was pretty classy. He did have a match in TNA after all.

Callahan vs Fenix was hard hitting. Fenix hit some crazy shit (that handspring Cutter on the ramp and the diving into ring Cutter were really cool) and Sami worked Fenix over pretty good. Got a good amount of time going two segments, breath of fresh air seeing a wrestling program start off with a hot match. The crowd does not like Sami. I liked that Ohio Sucks Chant. Callahan is great in this anarchist heel role.

I wasn’t watching TNA in 09 so I have no context to the locker room brawl from an Impact they aired. Was it Main Event Mafia vs Frontline?

Jimmy Jacobs vs Johnny Impact wasn’t a match but an angle. Kong has a unique look and is convincing as a monster. What I’ve read in the spoilers this feud has been going on for a few months and doesn’t seem to stopping anytime soon. Jacobs played a great little weasel trying to get away from Impact at the end there.

I was confused by all the Scarlet Bourdoux vignette but I get the gimmick she’s hot and guys get goofy around her. I guess KM and Fallah are a comedy team?

Aries is one hell of a promo, he’s so hateable. Him having muscle is really good, Aries can out wrestle anyone but why do that when he can have Killer Cross give him that extra edge to victory. Cross isn’t a bad promo himself. But he was dressed like Jesse Ventura circa 1993. I think Aries is going to be Champion for awhile. 

Cross no selling those Kendo stock shots was ok. Eddie Edwards must be the Tommy Dreamer of Impact always good for a heel beatdown.

Eli Drake vs Joe Handry was something. That opening music video was actually funny how absurd it was. Wasn’t Eli Drake champ a year ago? I have no clue who Joe Handry is. From the finish it looks like Handry and Grado are gonna feud soon.

That Sydal Segment was a clever way of getting over the point that Sydal is haunted by the lose but he will be back and gunning for Cage soon enough without saying a word.

Allie vs Su Yung was really good. This was hardhitting as it should be. Allie was scrappy abs came out swinging as one should do against Su but she was almost spooked by those undead brides maids. Su was an unhinged terror, she is undead after all. What I’ve gathered in my brief viewing of the current product, Allie is the Sting of the Knockouts Division. Standing up for what is right and just and stopping injustices. Su Yung has been a terror and now it’s time for Allie to make things right. But she she had blinders on and was so focused on Su Yung that she wasn’t paying attention to the thorn in her side that is Tessa Blanchard and it cost her a clean win. From the way things ended I think we are getting a triple threat between these 3 women at BFG.

The Street Fight between LAX and the OG’z was really cool. I totally dig the idea of wrestling angles shooting short films to further storylines. The action kind of reminded me of the Def Jam Fight for New York game. No commentary just a street fight. I like seeing Homicide back on tv I’m a fan the man has style all his own. Hernandez border tossed one of the LAx guts into a crowd of people that was reckless but cool. In the end the good guys are the team left standing and they got their belts back. Kingston cuts a killer promo at the end there. We have to see a Konnan-Kingston match down the line. 

All in all a fun two hours spent watching some really good wrestling. 

• Like 5

Loved the Callihan/Fenix match, awesome stuff. Thought Johnny/Jacobs came off great. Aries/Kross promo was fantastic and I really liked the Sydal video... simple but effective and got over his character really well. The SmokeShow was hilarious. Allie/Su was fun while it lasted, Su always feels special. In hindsight they could''ve showed Neidhart/Lethal as the GWN Flashback.

The LAX/OGz gang war was amazing. Agreed ^ with the Def Jam Fight for NY vibe, got the same feel here. Loved the ending of a movie style finish with the LAX triumph music playing as they stood over their bodies, even though all those other people seem to disappear. It came off like they had killed Hernandez, maybe Homicide, and then Konnan delivering the final blow to King.... epic stuff all around there, one of the best feuds anywhere so unique from anything else, love it. Konnan as the latino mob boss is the best.