DVDVR Message Board

Tell me about Nashville

ChesterCopperpot

I love Nashville.  Been there twice.  Have only hung around the main drag but it seems everything is there on Broadway.  The hockey rink, the football field, loads of bars, and they are not all honky tonks and places to stuff your face.  Maybe avoid Jack's BBQ though.  It wasnt all that great and I had heartburn driving through the rest of Tennessee and two other states

Went to Opryland twice as a kid.  It was fucking great.

It was the "we're going to a theme park as a family vacation, but Florida is too damn far away and Disney costs too fucking much, but Ohio is too damn close to be a real vacation" A+ option.

EDIT:  Do note, though, that Opryland Theme Parks closed in 1997.  Which still makes me a little sad.

Went to Opryland twice as a kid.  It was fucking great.

It was the "we're going to a theme park as a family vacation, but Florida is too damn far away and Disney costs too fucking much, but Ohio is too damn close to be a real vacation" A+ option.

EDIT:  Do note, though, that Opryland Theme Parks closed in 1997.  Which still makes me a little sad.

Hey, they replaced it with a mall, that's gotta be as exciting as a theme park, right?

There's always the tour of the Ryman, and there's always hot chicken: http://news.yahoo.com/burning-desire--hot-chicken-takes-over-nashville-151831274.html

Hey, they replaced it with a mall, that's gotta be as exciting as a theme park, right?

Not just ANY mall, but the biggest mall in the entire Southeast!  Or so we're told.  Everything costs too much and there's frequently hordes of sketchy people hanging around, along with the occasional gang shooting.  

I barely feel qualified to advise people on Nashvegas anymore, since it's been so long since I lived there (and honestly, I'm more likely to go to a Wendy's than some mom-and-pop restaurant).  I will say that unless you're staying in one of the expensive high-rises, it's probably not the best idea to get a hotel room downtown.  There's plenty of others just a short drive away in every direction, they'll be likely cheaper and safer out in the 'burbs.  

Also, visit a local 'rassling show.  Nashville is INFESTED with indy feds, you can barely walk down the street without tripping over one.  This message board can direct you to a few places, just ask on there if you need more options.