DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 8/9/18

*Taped for Xplosion: KM & Fallah Bahh def. Tarik & Tyson Dux when KM pinned Tarik

Impact Wrestling - Airing August 9, 2018 from the Rebel Complex in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

*Taiji Ishimori & Petey Williams def. The Desi Hit Squad (Rohit Raju & Gursinder Singh w/ The Great Gama Singh) when Ishimori pinned Rohit

*Tessa Blanchard def. Alisha Edwards. After the match, Tessa cuts a promo saying she made an example out of Alisha. Tessa says Allie has everyone fooled but her, the only thing Allie cares about is herself. Tessa declares that if Allie is going after the knockouts championship then she's coming after her.

*Pentagon Jr. def. Matt Sydal after the Fear Factor. After the match, oVe appear on the tron where Sami Callihan orders Jake Crist to shave Dave's head. Sami says that oVe is looking more and more like a family.

*LAX come out for a promo. Konnan mentions that LAX were jumped by the OGz earlier tonight. The OGz show up on the balcony with the tag team titles. King wants Konnan to bring the war to the streets and asks if he's afraid. Konnan says that LAX is the streets.

*Austin Aries(c) def. Eddie Edwards to retain the Impact Worlds Championship with the Brainbuster after interference from Killer Kross.

Another solid night of Impact. Opening tag was a fun quick match. Loved seeing Alisha back in the ring again finally, been hoping she'd get used more for years now. Was a huge fan of her WSU work back in 2010-11. Thought this was a very solid showing for both. Pentagon/Sydal and Aries/Edwards were both awesome and different from each other with the main event being full of chaos. Thought Aries and Edwards worked great together as opponents with great character work. LAX/OGz feud continues to kill it. Dug the closing shot of Aries and Kross standing tall. Good promos in between throughout the whole show with Aries, Sydal, Allie, Jacobs, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamal said:

I really dig Tessa's in-ring aggression. Good stuff from her and Alisha. And I like that they are continuing the Allie/Kiera partnership. 

Tessa Blanchard is one of my favorites in all of wrestling right now. 

• Like 4

My recording cut out after 37 minutes but this was the first time I’ve been on the Blanchard train with the rest of you guys, thought her match was solid and her promo after just terrific. 

If you get a chance to rewatch the opening brawl, check out the nasty bump the random guy taking the border toss into the walk takes, on the way down his head hits the metal railing.  It’s brutal. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I enjoyed the show for the most part, but I found it weird that Kross ended up being a muscle guy for Aries. Would have preferred if he attacked both guys and stayed as lone wolf.

I would like Kross as a loner, but I could get behind Aries being desperate to hold onto the title, so he turns to Kross for backup, until the psychopathic Kross decides he wants the title and turns on Aries.

• Like 2

Tessa was really laying her shit in this week. She would make for a great representative for the division as champion.

After his WWE departure, I only watched Sydal work intermittently. I'm enjoying watching his work on a consistent basis again, and with a killer character to boot. Him and Pentagon worked really well together and it was great to see two guys I like have such a fun, fresh match on TV. 

It'd be great to see Sydal move up the card with this character, but I think he'd run into a heel logjam up there. Beyond Aries, you get the sense that Callis and D'Amore could easily see Sami in a top spot. Then there's Eli Drake waiting in the wings with his contract situation resolved for the time being. I'm curious where Sydal goes from here.  

• Like 1

I thought this show was the best of the 3 TVs since the PPV. A great show top to bottom with everything meaning something and setting up things for next week (which could be even better) as well as in the future. 

I think Tessa bought the stiffness because in WSU and other North East promotions you heard that Alisha was very stiff with her strikes. I can't remember who but I remember she gave her opponent a concussion from strikes in either WSU or Beyond several years ago. 

Another great heel performance for Tessa. There's not a lot of wrestlers who can press slam their opponent but also believably beg off like a Flair as well. Good stuff.

Not sure about Kross teaming with Aries either. He seemed like he was coming in as a single and Aries was holding it down on his own. It would be a bummer if they did a Shawn/Diesel thing with them since Drew and Dolph are doing the same thing on Raw but it's too early to judge.

Definitely got kind of a Shawn/Sid vibe from Aries/Kross at the end there. I love tying into last week where Aries had his issue with Carelli then at the end of the night Carelli had been taken out by Kross.

I'm all for more Sydal, and more Alisha too.. she's a solid babyface but I kinda wanna see the old WSU super heel Lexxus side of her at some point too as she was so good at it.

Personally I think it’s time to dump the classic TNA segments.  I think they break up the momentum of the show and run a little contrary to their vibe of “New” Impact they’re going with.   You could do a like 2 minute highlights package of a classic match as an ad for the streaming service but I really feel 10-15 minute full matches is too much.  

• Like 1