DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 30: Alvarez vs. Poirier II (7/28/2018) - Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Scotiabank Saddledome)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Calgary_Alvarez_vs._Poirier_2_Poster

UFC on Fox 30: Alvarez vs. Poirier II 
July 28, 2018
Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Scotiabank Saddledome)

Eddie Alvarez (155) vs. Dustin Poirier (156) - Poirier, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:05)
José Aldo (146) vs. Jeremy Stephens (144) - Aldo, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:19)
Joanna Jędrzejczyk (115) vs. Tecia Torres (115) - Jędrzejczyk, DEC (unanimous)
Alexander Hernandez (155) vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier (156) - Hernandez, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Preliminary Card:
Jordan Mein (169) vs. Alex Morono (170) - Mein, DEC (unanimous)
Kajan Johnson (155) vs. Islam Makhachev (156) - Makhachkev, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:43)
Hakeem Dawodu (146) vs.  Austin Arnett (145) - Dawodu, DEC (unanimous)
Gadzhimurad Antigulov (205) vs. Ion Cuțelaba (205) - Cutelaba, TKO (strikes), (4:25)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
John Makdessi (155) vs. Ross Pearson (155) - Makdessi, DEC (unanimous)
Alexis Davis (126) vs. Katlyn Chookagian (125) - Chookagian, DEC (unanimous)
Dustin Ortiz (125) vs. Matheus Nicolau Pereira (126) - Ortiz, KO (head kick and punches), R1 (3:49)
Randa Markos (115) vs. Nina Ansaroff (116) - Ansaroff, DEC (unanimous)
Devin Powell (155) vs. Álvaro Herrera (156) - Powell, KO (body kicks), R1 (1:52)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: José Aldo
Performance of the Night: Dustin Poirier
Fight of the Night: John Makdessi vs. Ross Pearson

Attendance: 10,603
Gate: $1.3 million
Rating: 1.46 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
None

Alvarez going into the Poirier rematch on the last fight on his deal is either to backfire or pay tremendous dividends. If it's the latter, maybe it's enough to break the logjam at the top of the lightweight division.

We're going to find out how much Aldo has left. Jeremy Stephens is going to go in there and try to knock his head into the cheap seats.

I'm very intrigued by Joanna having her first three round fight since the first fight with Claudinha. The style matchup on paper would allow her to have a great performance to revive her title hopes

Hernandez vs. OAM is going to show whether or not the Dariush blitzing was a fluke or just Dariush running into a bad person to fight on short notice. Aubin-Mercier is a sneaky good fighter who doesn't get enough credit because he usually fights on the smaller cards or against less notable opponents. More importantly, he is pretty consistent in terms of performance.

I don't keep up with the UFC like I used to, so I didn't realize this card was as good as it is. I instantly felt bad for Aldo seeing him against Stephens. I feel like even if he goes the distance and wins, he's probably still in for a rough night. Main event should be great. It'll be nice to see if Joanna can get back on the horse. 

For those of us who aren't in the know, which of the prelim fights are of note? Anybody on the come-up that I should be aware that's fighting tomorrow?

There are some solid vets on the prelims but the guy that strikes me as the fighter with the highest ceiling is Islam Makhachev. Prototypical Dagestani fighter with great power in his fists, wrestling, and top control. 

Mein vs. Morono should be fun. People were high on Dawodu prior to him losing his UFC debut so it may be intriguing to see if he can rebound.

Makdessi vs. Pearson has some potential to be fun.

Surprised that one of the women's fights didn't get the spot currently occupied by Antigulov vs. Cutelaba. I would also add that after the Leslie Smith thing that Kajan Johnson vs. Makhachev being that high on the prelims is also surprising. But then again, if Kajan chooses to engage against Makhachev, that could be an entertaining fight.

Ortiz vs. Matheus Nicolau should be fairly decent at the very least.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Going through the weigh-ins and LMAO at Bisping covertly bringing up the Makdessi thing with Bisping not getting paid by Fear the Fighter. Hopefully, we don't have another hotel elevator run-in again.

Makdessi vs. Pearson was pretty entertaining.

Ion Cutelaba cut a funny promo challenging DC after stopping Antigulov.

Dawodu and Makhachkev both looked great in their showcase bouts.

Jordan Mein seems to have his head back in MMA, which is good.

Hernandez had a convincing performance against OAM. He looks legit in terms of the level he's at.

Joanna did what she needed to do against Tecia. Gonna be interesting who they put her in against next if it's not another title fight,

8 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Joanna needs to move up to 125. She isn't going to get a 3rd fight with Thug Rose for quite a while, meanwhile the 125lb division is the most wide open in the promotion.

I don't think she really needs to 125 because it's not like Rose is this unstoppable champion. Why move to 125 when there is a solid (if not good) chance of the strawweight belt changing hands to someone Joanna already beat? 

WWE had a House show here in Tallahassee at the Civic Center that me and a few buddies won front rows tickets to it. So I missed this show live to watch it but after this Garcia/Easter fight on Showtime I will start watching the fight pass prelims and then work on the 3 things I DVR'd of this show.