DVDVR Message Board

WWE EVOLUTION (All Women's PPV) - 10/28/2018

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIShane said:

Maybe. But it is a good response to the silly 'MEN NEVER GOT AN ALL-MEN PPV, HUH HUH HUH!' comments circulating online.

Some people are past the point of no return. Why bother entertaining them? Do you really think they'll look at that number and not go back to 4chan/whatever incel board they came from? These people are delusional.

2 hours ago, RIShane said:

Exciting announcement, and they have a roster which can put on a great card if given the opportunity. With the MYC final, this could also be Io's PPV debut. :D

I'm going to miss grown men yelling "IOOOO" at Korakuen. Would be a dumbass move not to have her in the finals of the tournament but it'll be interesting to see if they go back to back Japanese winners. It would be, in a way, an admission that the Japanese system is far, far superior to their Performance Center.

• Like 1

The winner likely getting a shot at the NXT women's title. Toni is part of the UK brand and has already lost to Shayna. She isn't winning even if she does go to the finals. Hell if the NXT UK Women's champ is already decided by then there is a pretty good chance the champ will be Toni.

45 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm going to miss grown men yelling "IOOOO" at Korakuen. Would be a dumbass move not to have her in the finals of the tournament but it'll be interesting to see if they go back to back Japanese winners. It would be, in a way, an admission that the Japanese system is far, far superior to their Performance Center.

How so? I mean technically when Kairi won last year she was a part of the PC. It would be the same with Io. Also its not like the tournament is using WWE's top talent. This comment really doesn't make much sense.

That in two straight years with a field of wrestlers from around the world, many of whom are trained primarily by WWE in the PC, two Japanese veterans that did not train at the PC beyond mere months are clearly better wrestlers than the rest of the pack and win the tournament to boot? What's unclear? You look at the crisp execution of Io, Kairi, and the majority of Japanese women and compare it to their North American counterparts and there's a world of difference with very few exceptions. Io is the best woman on the planet with maybe Kairi and Mayu in the conversation. Io should be winning but will WWE like the optics of admitting Stardom's dojo system is a superior way of building talent than their fancy, expensive warehouse?

43 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That in two straight years with a field of wrestlers from around the world, many of whom are trained primarily by WWE in the PC, two Japanese veterans that did not train at the PC beyond mere months are clearly better wrestlers than the rest of the pack and win the tournament to boot? What's unclear? You look at the crisp execution of Io, Kairi, and the majority of Japanese women and compare it to their North American counterparts and there's a world of difference with very few exceptions. Io is the best woman on the planet with maybe Kairi and Mayu in the conversation. Io should be winning but will WWE like the optics of admitting Stardom's dojo system is a superior way of building talent than their fancy, expensive warehouse?

Except last year actually had only a few participants who primarily were trained by WWE, and most (if not all) of them were technically rookies. Your claim of the majority of Japanese women being so crisp in execution is also kind of hilarious since its pretty damn wrong. Really though the comparison is just odd, unnecessary, and kind of makes you come off as an puroresu elitist.

Besides this tournament is just like the first MYC and the CWC. They are done to push the newest prospects. Io winning would only be sensible if they plan to put her on NXT ASAP like they did with Kairi.

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Considering the average fan couldn't tell you what Stardom is with a gun to their head? I doubt anyone in Triple H's orbit in developmental cares about the optics. 

There is this as well.

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Considering the average fan couldn't tell you what Stardom is with a gun to their head? I doubt anyone in Triple H's orbit in developmental cares about the optics

I hope you are right.

Stephanie McMahon hogging her part in the Evolution is tiring. I'm happy for the women wrestlers getting their own PPV with the rise in quality from NXT in 2015 to the present day (feels like a makeup for the Greatest Royal Rumble debacle) along with women's versions of men's matches: HIAC/MITB/RR/EC.

Have to wonder if they will run the can’t call it the Moolah again to maximize who is on the show.

Though part of me will be amused if Alicia Fox misses another “historic” women’s moment.

Wonder if they use the two women referees from NXT for this? Also, will they stick with the usual suspects on commentary or try to use at least one woman in the booth. I'd be glad to hear Beth Phoenix back, especially if she replaced Coach or Saxton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Stephanie McMahon hogging her part in the Evolution is tiring. I'm happy for the women wrestlers getting their own PPV with the rise in quality from NXT in 2015 to the present day (feels like a makeup for the Greatest Royal Rumble debacle) along with women's versions of men's matches: HIAC/MITB/RR/EC.

It’s never really bothered me, because she probably has pushed for a lot of these things to happen behind the scenes (along with HHH). Also, it makes perfect sense from a kayfabe/on-screen perspective

I don't think back-to-back Japanese winners would reflect poorly on WWE's training, or anyone else's--nor do I think they're concerned about the possibility. (As others have said, Stardom is such a non-threat.) It would be, if any broad conclusions can be drawn, just an acknowledgment that Japan has about a three decade head start when it comes to taking women's wrestling seriously. Training and wrestling in that ecosystem raises standards and expectations over the years, which means that--in general--Japan produces more women who are good wrestlers and--in general--the best of those are the best anywhere. I don't think those are controversial or puro elitist statements. Anyway, Io's really good. She'll probably be on this show, in the finals; if so, she'll do moves and bump like no one else on the card can/will, and the crowd will probably be really impressed. I don't think it's more complicated than that, really. (Nor should it be, honestly. I know there are layers and layers to watching wrestling, but at a certain point the superficial matters, and having the wrestlers you insist are elite athletes do elite athlete looking stuff helps initial buy-in a lot.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty excited for this although I'm bummed that we're not getting the tag titles yet. But I know they can't be too far off. I'm just amazed that we are at a point where this is not just a thought but a reality. 

• Like 1

For those curious - this is the entire women's roster (based on WWE website)

RAW & SDL

1. Alexa Bliss
  2. Alicia Fox
  3. Asuka
  4. Bayley
  5. Becky Lynch
  6. Billie Kay
  7. Carmella
  8. Charlotte
  9. Dana Brooke
  10. Ember Moon
  11. Lana
  12. Liv Morgan
  13. Mandy Rose
  14. Mickie James
  15. Naomi
  16. Natalya
  17. Nia Jax
  18. Peyton Royce
  19. Ronda Rousey
  20. Sarah Logan
  21. Sasha Banks
  22. Sonya Deville

NXT

1. Aliyah
  2. Bianca Belair
  3. Candice LeRae
  4. Dakota Kai
  5. Kaire Sane
  6. Lacey Evans
  7. Nikki Cross
  8. Shayna Baszler
  9. Taynara Conti
  10. Vanessa Borne

INJURED/OUT (So may or may not be back for the show)

1. Maria Kanellis
  2. Maryse
  3. Ruby Riott
  4. Tamina
  5. Brie Bella
  6. Nikki Bella

PERFORMANCE CENTER (Not already mentioned)

1. Jessamyn Duke
  2. Jessica Elaban
  3. Marina Shafir
  4. Reina Gonzalez
  5. Rhea Ripley
  6. Shadia Bseiso
  7. Tegan Nox
  8. Xia Li
  9. Kacy Catanzaro

KNOWN SIGNEES (Most are either in MYC or NXT UK)

1. Toni Storm
  2. Jinny
  3. Io Shirai
  4. Deonna Purrazzo
  5. Lacey Lane
  6. MJ Jenkins
  7. Kavita Devi

That is 52 total and without going to additional folks who could get added via Mae Young Classic. It's also not counting returning stars who could be in a match (Like Trish, Lita and Beth Phoenix are all announced for the show)

EDIT - I forgot to mention that I am didn't count Zelina Vega just because they haven't had her wrestle on the main roster yet. I also didn't include Steph.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one - the comments on Twitter to the announcement are an absolute shit show.

This planet really needs to be blown up

Lol, wait till the PPV.  I'm hoping for the best, but three hours of "Slut' chants won't surprise me in the least.

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Alright well I love the idea I think it has a chance to be great but I'm not sold if Alexa and Carmella are headlining the two title matches.  

This.  x about 10.  They would't really go into this with Alexa and Carmella as champs, would they?  2 short title matches that consist of little actual wrestling and a lot of screeching and hair pulling isn't going to help the cause.  I'd vote to leave those two off the card entirely, but that's not realistic, at least in Alexa's case.  Carmella was basically off SDL for six months or so, so she could be omitted once she drops the belt and few people would probably notice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Player One said:

They would't really go into this with Alexa and Carmella as champs, would they?  2 short title matches that consist of little actual wrestling and a lot of screeching and hair pulling isn't going to help the cause.  I'd vote to leave those two off the card entirely, but that's not realistic, at least in Alexa's case.  Carmella was basically off SDL for six months or so, so she could be omitted once she drops the belt and few people would probably notice.

Meltzer has suggested the plan is that both will drop the titles before the show, specifically because "their matches have not been good", and WWE wants this to be a showcase.

• Like 3

Well Carmella shouldn't be the champion by October unless Road Dogg has completely lost his mind at Summerslam.  I think on the RAW side they are fine.  Either Rousey is the champion (very likely) or Alexa is the champion and she is more than qualified.   I don't understand this new hot take that Alexa Bliss is the shits in the ring.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

EDIT - I forgot to mention that I am didn't count Zelina Vega just because they haven't had her wrestle on the main roster yet. I also didn't include Steph.

They won't; the concept of a manager who also wrestles would be far too difficult a concept for the writers to grasp.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well Carmella shouldn't be the champion by October unless Road Dogg has completely lost his mind at Summerslam.  I think on the RAW side they are fine.  Either Rousey is the champion (very likely) or Alexa is the champion and she is more than qualified.   I don't understand this new hot take that Alexa Bliss is the shits in the ring.   

I don't think people think Alexa is bad just not at the level of other women to put on high level matches. Alexa is fine but she is obviously a step below some of the others like Sasha, Becky, Asuka, Charlotte, Bayley. If they want title matches that are great matches Alexa might not be the best choice but with the right opponent or the right stipulation I think she could go in with the belt and have it be plausible. That said I think Rhonda is going to "break" her arm at SS with that strangely flexible elbow she has that they used in her feud with Becky and Alexa will probably be involved somewhere else on the card. 

I don’t want to come down on this show because I don’t see this as a huge step for wrestling as there have always been huge women’s wrestling in TNA and the entire promotions dedicated to it in America and Japan. It is a huge step for the WWE in that Vince finally sees women beyond male gaze. 

Aw fuck it, I’m throwing the wet blanket away. Unlike every non-Takeover PPV, I am looking forward to this show considering the women’s division is marginally better booked than the men. 

Thought it was funny that the thing people got most excited for was Nikki Cross with the women on RAW like she got called up to the main roster.  Given how they mentioned that all WWE products are involved in this I kind of doubt it.   Although she should be on the main roster

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Thought it was funny that the thing people got most excited for was Nikki Cross with the women on RAW like she got called up to the main roster.  Given how they mentioned that all WWE products are involved in this I kind of doubt it.   Although she should be on the main roster

The reason Nikki was there was because she is filling in for Charlotte on the SDL house shows.

Last set she was teaming with Becky Lynch, this most recent set she was teaming with Naomi.