DVDVR Message Board

WWE EVOLUTION (All Women's PPV) - 10/28/2018

RIPPA

You say this is about who the company considers stars. In support of that perspective, you casually throw out a tasteless comment made against AJ as evidence of how she was viewed by the company. Yet that monumentally undersells how much promotional material she was on and how much time she spent in major stories with both men and women.

The company treated AJ like a big star.

As for Mickie and Lita, I guess you’d have us overlook that their most high profile matches against Stratus resulted in defeats for the Canadian. Because Trish getting the prop belt back really tells the whole story for... reasons.

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Men in a pissing contest over hair color for female wrestlers. There's got to be some irony in that.

Be happy we haven’t moved onto discussing in earnest Vince’s preferred breast size. Because that’s where this unfortunate line of thinking leads. 

Just now, Burgundy LaRue said:

Men in a pissing contest over hair color for female wrestlers. There's got to be some irony in that.

:lol: Moving on from that..   I can't imagine the two current title holders are the two superstars best suited for the main events of the first ever PPV.  

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The company treated AJ like a big star.

Yes, but it was by accident. Her book tells the story.  How can I say they held Mickie in high regard when "Piggy James" exists? 

This is the same thing as "Vince likes big dudes".  That's not a shit narrative. Just because a Shawn Michaels exists even though he's not exactly small.. doesn't mean he's still not more often than not pushing big dudes.  

You can say "well what about Bryan? Aren't they pushing him as a big star?"  No,  not really.   It's pulling teeth.  It's not what he wants to do and a guy like Bryan isn't going to get as many opportunities as Reigns.  That's WWE. That's the position that Sasha and Bayley and Asuka find themselves in. 

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes, but it was by accident. Her book tells the story.  How can I say they held Mickie in high regard when "Piggy James" exists? 

They didn’t treat AJ like a huge star for months and years by “accident.”

Mickie getting herself some heat and the company finding the worst possible way to take it out on her doesn’t suggest a disinclination towards non-blondes. I will certainly grant you that the company is run by, at best, juvenile jerks.

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

If it were me personally, I would keep the title on Carmella until this PPV. Have her continue to win by hook or crook. At the PPV she has to take on Charlotte or Askua. In a perfect world this show would build to Becky and Charlotte, but this isn't a perfect world. Carmella is so good at getting heat and hate, so her title is the one I'd build around for the main event.

Huh? Carmella gets fairly little heat. She has never really managed to keep any momentum. Its why Ellsworth is back, and even that isn't working. Having her hold the belt until this show would be ridiculous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

That is kind of disappointing. I was hoping Trish might match up with one of the Horsewomen, specifically Sasha.

either suggestion would be better than what I expect that WWE would give us as the matchup:  Trish/Lita vs The IIconics.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

That is kind of disappointing. I was hoping Trish might match up with one of the Horsewomen, specifically Sasha.

I could see them doing Sasha/Bayley vs Trish/Lita in a Dream Match of current stars versus their heroes that also features partners who are better known as rivals.

• Like 1

I'd be into a Trish match at this. Hell, I'd be into a short return run from Trish. A match at Evolution, maybe win the Rumble and challenge Ronda at Wrestlemania if they want to hold off on Charlotte/Rousey for another year. 

Well reading through here I see I was wrong and some people do think Alexa is awful. Different strokes I guess, I don't get it there have been far worse women employed by WWE, like Carmella and Lana currently but what ever. I think Alexa has been booked terribly but so has every single other person on the roster.

I wish Stephanie's answer to the question about her wrestling was a hard no cause as it stands there seems to be a chance that she could and that would be not great. I hope they don't load up on former talent too much. I'm fine with Trish but let that be it please, you can have some cameos backstage but I hope this show is a showcase for today and tomorrows talent and not yesterdays, the Rumble was fun for that but lets look forward please (I am ready to be disappointed) 

Niners, since no-one has really backed you up here, I'll say that everything you said is pretty much spot on regarding Vince's preferences for his female stars. The point I was going to make you actually ended up saying your self, that being does anyone really think Vince doesn't prefer his stars to be big, muscular dudes just because we've seen guys like Shawn and Bryan pushed over the years? Because I can't imagine anyone being that willfully ignorant. But then again, mentioning how long Moolah was champion....

Yeah, not everyone pushed as a star has been blonde. That's not the point or the argument. There are outliers like AJ or Lita or Nikki, who were all pushed strong for various reasons. But that doesn't mean that Vince doesn't have a preference.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

1. Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks (RAW, 8/28/17)
2. Alexa Bliss vs. Asuka (RAW, 1/1/18)
3. Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks (SummerSlam 2017)
4. Alexa Bliss vs. Charlotte (Survivor Series 2017)
5. Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks (Great Balls of Fire 2017)

I'd replace one of your Sasha matches with Alexa/Bayley at Payback. Sure the kendo stick match at Extreme Rules sucked, but Payback was pretty good, and also the last real display of Bayley's NXT-era carrying abilities.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I could see them doing Sasha/Bayley vs Trish/Lita in a Dream Match of current stars versus their heroes that also features partners who are better known as rivals.

Or make it a parajes incredible match with old/new vs old/new. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Player One said:

What's the over/under on how many times Rippa locks this thread before the October PPV?

Set the number at five, as in how many combined Smackdown/Raw Women's titles Alex Bliss has won, since that's the only way to ensure nothing and no one goes over.

tenor.gif?itemid=7921509

• Haha 1

I'll tell you one thing, I'm just watching Smackdown now, and I'm already beyond tired of hearing about this show. It seems that literally everyone is mentioning this show, and how groundbreaking it is. 

I'm super happy for the talent and everything, but this company's constant patting itself on the back for treating its female employees kinda sorta equally to the men in 2018 is really nauseating.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

Huh? Carmella gets fairly little heat. She has never really managed to keep any momentum. Its why Ellsworth is back, and even that isn't working. Having her hold the belt until this show would be ridiculous.

Not really. Ellsworth was solely there to distract Asuka.

5 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I'd be into a Trish match at this. Hell, I'd be into a short return run from Trish. A match at Evolution, maybe win the Rumble and challenge Ronda at Wrestlemania if they want to hold off on Charlotte/Rousey for another year. 

Wouldn't mind a short return by Trish at all though I would prefer it focused on the non-MMA Horsewomen and maybe Alexa who people often compared her to.

They made people fly in to stand around for a show announcement for something that isn't even happening until the end of October.  They could've announced it at SummerSlam when all these people were going to be there anyway and both events are even in the same state.  Which begs the question what award Stephanie McMahon needed to get her entry in for by Monday?

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I'll tell you one thing, I'm just watching Smackdown now, and I'm already beyond tired of hearing about this show. It seems that literally everyone is mentioning this show, and how groundbreaking it is. 

I'm super happy for the talent and everything, but this company's constant patting itself on the back for treating its female employees kinda sorta equally to the men in 2018 is really nauseating.

There needs to be a heel that shits all over the show and wonder why there isn't a swimsuit contest or a mud wrestling match in between all the piss breaks he'll be taking. 

• Like 1