DVDVR Message Board

What is the worst PPV you have ever purchased?

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

What was the WCW show that had the Dustin Rhodes/Blacktop Bully match on the back of a moving truck and the debut of the Renegade? Because that would be it for me. Uncensored 1995. Yeah.....that was it.

I never got WCW shows, but I would watch WCW Saturday Night as well as Main Event when it was on and I had nothing else to do. I remember them hyping up the match on the back of the truck and it blew my mind that they'd be wrestling on a moving truck. It sucked me in. And then Hogan did that cryptic interview at the end of the show implying that the Ultimate Warrior was coming in to be in his corner and, man, I just HAD to see the show now as Warrior was one of my favorites back in the day.

Then the truck match kind of sucked. Then the rest of the card was slow and boring, including a DQ finish on a card advertised as having "no rules". Then it was Renegade and not Warrior. Then Hogan won his  strap match against Vader by beating Flair.

I don't think I ever ordered another WCW show after being hoodwinked by all that.

Yeah, that one was bad and I knew it even as a kid renting it from the corner video store. I wanted to love WCW and Vader but that show just stunk and Hulk's pre-nWo shenanigans really reinforced that I was right to hate him. The Nasties/Harlem Heat match wasn't THE match with Dusty losing it on commentary, was it? IIRC that was later on in '96 I think.

Was Wrestlepalooza  the one with the terrible lighting that they later were selling the poster for by saying it looked better than the pay per view?

Uncensored 95 was awful, yet you can make a legit argument it wasn't the worst WCW ppv that year. Halloween Havoc had Hogan committing murder by literally throwing the Giant off the roof of Cobo Hall. The Giant then came out perfectly fine for the main event. One of the announcers offered the idea that maybe he landed in the river and that saved him. The Giant was bone dry at this time. 

On 8/2/2018 at 7:39 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Was Wrestlepalooza  the one with the terrible lighting that they later were selling the poster for by saying it looked better than the pay per view?

Uncensored 95 was awful, yet you can make a legit argument it wasn't the worst WCW ppv that year. Halloween Havoc had Hogan committing murder by literally throwing the Giant off the roof of Cobo Hall. The Giant then came out perfectly fine for the main event. One of the announcers offered the idea that maybe he landed in the river and that saved him. The Giant was bone dry at this time. 

Of course he was! Do you think he wouldn't have dried himself off and switched gear? You can easily catch a cold at that time of the year. 

• Like 2

There are people who think the WrestleWar '91 WarGames was a bad match? ?

My worst purchase was Royal Rumble '99, in high school. What a lousy show. It was a group purchase for this guy Dave's birthday, but his mom didn't realize you needed a cable box to order a PPV. So we all got over there and...no PPV. So his poor mom had to scramble, and we eventually got to see a replay or something....and after all that waiting (and this guy was someone none of us really knew that well and who didn't have many friends, but we all wanted to see the Rumble), we got *that* show. And the guy actually started crying and apologizing for how bad the show was, after someone said "Dave, you ruined the Royal Rumble." It wasn't a great day. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricR said:

There are people who think the WrestleWar '91 WarGames was a bad match? ?

My worst purchase was Royal Rumble '99, in high school. What a lousy show. It was a group purchase for this guy Dave's birthday, but his mom didn't realize you needed a cable box to order a PPV. So we all got over there and...no PPV. So his poor mom had to scramble, and we eventually got to see a replay or something....and after all that waiting (and this guy was someone none of us really knew that well and who didn't have many friends, but we all wanted to see the Rumble), we got *that* show. And the guy actually started crying and apologizing for how bad the show was, after someone said "Dave, you ruined the Royal Rumble." It wasn't a great day. 

I paid to see that shit live.