DVDVR Message Board

What is the worst PPV you have ever purchased?

In honor of Impacts PPV return (and hoping it’s decent), I wanted to start a thread for the worst PPV you’ve ever purchased.  The reason I chose purchased instead of watched is because it always meant more to me when I put my hard earned money into purchasing one and then thinking “man, that was a waste of money!”  

My worst PPV purchase was AAA’s Triplemania from 2015.  From the production snafu’s to the Villanos/Psycho Circus match, I was so over it by the time that the main event happened, I probably undervalued the Mysterio/Mitico match.  I know there were some crappier ones during the WWF/WCW wars, but we used to have watch parties and it was more about getting together than really caring about the wrestling.

What’s your worst PPV purchase?

• Like 1

Oh God, one Australian show Jeff Jarrett did before TNA. I bought it because Eddy was on it. I think a triple threat against Nicho and Juvi, maybe? Main event was a decent southern style Jarrett vs Brian Christopher match. The rest was beyond awful.

Great American Bash '98 probably. while not the worst event ever, i definitely got more selective after that one. seeing Macho Man lose two matches, knee injury or not, killed my interest in wcw.

@Brian Fowler i ordered the first WWA event (Inception?) and enjoyed it for what it was. not sure if that's the same one or not.

4 minutes ago, twiztor said:

@Brian Fowler i ordered the first WWA event (Inception?) and enjoyed it for what it was. not sure if that's the same one or not.

Nope, this would be their second ppv. Was supposed to be Savage vs Jarrett, Randy pulled out like the day before and they didn't announce that until the start of the ppv broadcast.

• Thanks 1

King of the Ring '99. First time I ever paid for a wrestling PPV with my own money and I got Kane/Show in a never-ending choke spot. I was barely holding on up til then, but holy shit was I bitter after that happened.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, APO said:

King of the Ring '99. First time I ever paid for a wrestling PPV with my own money and I got Kane/Show in a never-ending choke spot. I was barely holding on up til then, but holy shit was I bitter after that happened.

Beat me to it. I was a month away from turning 12 and even then I knew that I was watching garbage.

I knew someone had seen Heroes of Wrestling! And of course it's Raz.

Road Wild 1998. My friends really wanted to see Jay Leno wrestler for some reason. Outside of Juvy/Jericho and Misterio/Psicosis it was a slog.

37 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

WrestleWar 1991. I hated that War Games so much I stopped watching wrestling for nearly 3 years.

That main event sucked but that Japanese ladies tag match was fucking sweet.  Dynamite Kansai punted the living shit out of tsuki Yamazaki.

2 hours ago, iowanole said:

In honor of Impacts PPV return (and hoping it’s decent), I wanted to start a thread for the worst PPV you’ve ever purchased.  The reason I chose purchased instead of watched is because it always meant more to me when I put my hard earned money into purchasing one and then thinking “man, that was a waste of money!”  

My worst PPV purchase was AAA’s Triplemania from 2015.  From the production snafu’s to the Villanos/Psycho Circus match, I was so over it by the time that the main event happened, I probably undervalued the Mysterio/Mitico match.  I know there were some crappier ones during the WWF/WCW wars, but we used to have watch parties and it was more about getting together than really caring about the wrestling.

What’s your worst PPV purchase?

Same. Laughably bad but then I paid for it, so...

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That main event sucked but that Japanese ladies tag match was fucking sweet.  Dynamite Kansai punted the living shit out of tsuki Yamazaki.

would it have sucked had it been the horseman and not Larry in there instead of Arn?  I loved the match as Pillman was always my favorite and it really showcased him. I just can't not think it would have been better though with Arn.

14 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

would it have sucked had it been the horseman and not Larry in there instead of Arn?  I loved the match as Pillman was always my favorite and it really showcased him. I just can't not think it would have been better though with Arn.

The problem wasn't with Larry Zbyszko. The problem was with Sid being sloppy and nearly legit killing Brian Pillman even though the match was deliberately booked to allow Sting's team to lose without anyone having to submit.

It all worked out in the end in the aftermath of the match (Sid was over as a monster heel and Pillman became the biggesty baby face in the company overnight) and no one was the wiser until later on, but wow.  Sid was a fucking dangerous guy to be in the ring with.

1 minute ago, worldcupfever said:

I ordered Superclash III.  Let's think about how many cold midwestern days I had to deliver newspapers to afford that garbage fest.

Good it was not, but I didn't pay for it so it doesn't count.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Great American Bash 91

Which was the first PPV I ever bought

How I am still a wrestling fan is beyond me

You were a strange young man. Now you are a strange middle-aged man.

• Haha 1