DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

You think after we all found out how much the Fox deal is bringing, they could have broke out SOME pyro for SummerSlam. I know it's no longer a part of regular TV, but I really felt like it could have added something extra and special to their big show. I dug the augmented reality stuff they did with the 3D match up things above the ring. I heard on the Post Wrestling (Is this board Post Wrestling fans? They're the LAW radio guys who went indie after the radio show got axed.) review that they added augmented smoke for demon Balor, which I didn't notice. I'll have to go back and check it out. 

They also felt that Demon was strictly to wake the audience up. It goes against what they've established thus far with Balor's character and motivation, but it really helped get the crowed in the match, and Bubba (on Busted Open) felt like it upped Balor's stock as a top guy. I agree with both points, but yea just 'felt' kinda weird because there was no 'reason.' 

Everybody is talking about the Rollins/ Ziggler reverse suplex spot, but THAT wasn't even the finish. See my other post in the Takeover thread. 

Everything with AJs kid was great, but I died when AJ got like half-a-hug and the kid immediately wanted to go back to mom. Also got a laugh when Brock chucked the briefcase and it knocked out some of the lights on the screen.   

You guys said pretty much all the things about the other matches. 

That's one of the things I hate most about modern wrestling. When you break out a brand new big impact spot, let it be the finish.

I mean, I don't care if someone kicks out of it eventually but when the inverted superplex into a modified curtain call makes its WWE debut, done by the guy who ended up winning the fucking match, let it be the finish. Let Seth get another pin or two with it in really big matches, then when the kickout happens at say Mania, it means something.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BNosanchuk said:

I dug the augmented reality stuff they did with the 3D match up things above the ring. I heard on the Post Wrestling (Is this board Post Wrestling fans? They're the LAW radio guys who went indie after the radio show got axed.) review that they added augmented smoke for demon Balor, which I didn't notice. I'll have to go back and check it out. 

It was lining the ceiling a couple times during Balor's entrance and looked like the swirling eye of a storm. Literally the only time their superimposed 3D stuff did anything for me, and that includes Mania.

It's like their VR cameras. Yeah, we've got the technology. But they have yet to find a way to put it to good use.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's one of the things I hate most about modern wrestling. When you break out a brand new big impact spot, let it be the finish.

I mean, I don't care if someone kicks out of it eventually but when the inverted superplex into a modified curtain call makes its WWE debut, done by the guy who ended up winning the fucking match, let it be the finish. Let Seth get another pin or two with it in really big matches, then when the kickout happens at say Mania, it means something.

Realistically this is why we’re at the finisher spam point we’re at now, because they almost never end matches on a secondary finisher/special move (other than a distraction rollup.) If they refocused on those, we’d have fewer finisher kick outs and people would probably be more invested in the match rather waiting for the obvious finishing run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I won't deny that it was a very well put together match but that audience just wanted movez and turnz for the most part. None of Joe/AJ, Bryan/Miz, or Nakamura/Hardy got real emotional investment from the audience. I mean, I can't say I blame them with a 14 hour show but it was noticeably weak. Miz/Bryan is a match type that relies on big crowd responses and they didn't get them. They weren't going to do a bunch of crazy move sequences or strike exchanges. They were telling a story of Bryan finally getting his hands on the Miz in the ring, escaping the nise variations of his moves and then applying them with gusto on the cowardly heel. Oh and punching his mouth shut (with the TWIST OF IRONY in the end). I don't think it was just last night though. They've saddled him with some really average-to-bad shit since his return and I doubt it'll get better once he commits his long term future to the company.

I think there's an extent to which crowds are trained to respond to "moments" more than matches (or at least, moments within matches), for sure. It was also... well, I won't say the wrong crowd for that type of match, but that dynamic in front of <insert your favorite old southern crowd here> would have been fire, whereas a crowd of almost exclusively modern wrestling reviewers/appreciators/overthinkers/fans/etc (of which I'm one, so) is less likely to respond favorably to the heel just getting punished--especially when they mostly like him and think he's pretty good. One of the friends I was watching with joked that it almost seemed like a double turn, watching Miz get belted, welted, and yet endure, and I do think there were parts of the audience who were starting to have sympathy for the "wrong" person. Obviously, it wasn't a double turn, and I'm not trying to do one of those "all the heels are the real faces" things. Miz has been cruel, cowardly, and he's a cheater--but for better and worse, people respond to the performance, so a match built around "watch a bad wrestler get beat up for his hubris" has a hurdle if people don't think he's a bad wrestler. (I still really liked it, fwiw.)

Regarding the finisher business: Honestly, the most irritating part of the whole thing, to me, is the constant OMG HOW DID HE KICK OUT face everyone makes after someone kicks out of a move that literally no one has lost to. And it's that way up and down the roster. Cena's open challenge period was, I think, the high/low point, where anyone, no matter their relative tier, could hang for fifteen minutes and kick out of an AA. It's a hard genie to put back in the bottle, when the only really reliable way to get a crowd going is the end-match artillery barrage. (It's also interesting to me that, for all that people contrast the the two companies, basically this same convo just happened in the G1 thread. More about secondary stuff never finishing and finisher reversal dances than finisher kickouts, but still.)

• Like 5

To be fair - in regards specifically to the Cena open challenge - at least at the beginning I liked guys kicking out of the AA

The open challenge was a big deal and on more than one occasion it was guy's stepping up, having the match of their lives (obviously in the kayfabe sense) and having the ability to dump everything into that one moment of time. They had never gotten a shot at Cena before and they might never again.

I think it worked in that context.

The change came probably around when Cena started feuding with KO since that became more Super Indie Cena (I still love the fuck out of those matches but there is noticeable change in the story telling aspect of it)

• Like 1

Shit like they're doing with Becky is basically antagonistic booking. Sure, that's a secondary reason or even symptomatic of their real goal to feature Charlotte en route to an eventual showdown with Rousey. "Fuck you, idiots, this is the story we want to tell." There's almost a bait and switch quality to the way they build up certain stories or wrestlers only to reverse course and take things in the most unsatisfying direction possible. First, Asuka's streak ends but that's alright because she's going to win the title in a few months. Right? Becky's winning streak is finally going to pay off with her ending up back on top after all those bad breaks? Nope, tee total fuckup who finally realizes she'll never be better than Charlotte and has to stoop to the level of default cowardly heel. 

49 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Shit like they're doing with Becky is basically antagonistic booking. Sure, that's a secondary reason or even symptomatic of their real goal to feature Charlotte en route to an eventual showdown with Rousey. "Fuck you, idiots, this is the story we want to tell." There's almost a bait and switch quality to the way they build up certain stories or wrestlers only to reverse course and take things in the most unsatisfying direction possible. First, Asuka's streak ends but that's alright because she's going to win the title in a few months. Right? Becky's winning streak is finally going to pay off with her ending up back on top after all those bad breaks? Nope, tee total fuckup who finally realizes she'll never be better than Charlotte and has to stoop to the level of default cowardly heel. 

A lot of people call Bayley/Sasha the worst feud of the year.  But for me the worst feud that's won multiple years in a row will always be Vince/WWE vs. the fans.  I'm hopeful once Vince finally leaves it'll get better but this is just something that I've grown to accept.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

A lot of people call Bayley/Sasha the worst feud of the year.  But for me the worst feud that's won multiple years in a row will always be Vince/WWE vs. the fans.  I'm hopeful once Vince finally leaves it'll get better but this is just something that I've grown to accept.

tenor.gif?itemid=5224151

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The change came probably around when Cena started feuding with KO since that became more Super Indie Cena (I still love the fuck out of those matches but there is noticeable change in the story telling aspect of it)

I’m going off memory, but that series was also a big missed opportunity to play up the importance of finishers since, IIRC, Owens lost the second match during which he never hit the pop-up powerbomb. However, the announcers missed that aspect and it didn’t get any build during the rubber match.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

FUCK. If Rowan's injury is serious, move Bray to Smackdown and put him with Harper.

That might be a good move for Bray at this point. Not the best move, but an improvement on his current circumstances. But it'd be a step back for Harper. If Rowan's going to be on the shelf a while, Harper ought to be shuffled into the US title mix. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We're still being punished for not accepting Batista vs. Randy Orton as Vince's dream WM30 main event. Vince is like Jimmy; he holds grudges.

History has proven Vince was right on that one.

Batista gets to carry the title around for Guardians of the Galaxy, drops it back to Orton, who holds it till Mania and drops the belt to Roman.

They don’t feel the need to overbook and protect Roman at the Philly Rumble.

Brock remains a special attraction with no title to stop him from losing to Braun or Joe.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - in regards specifically to the Cena open challenge - at least at the beginning I liked guys kicking out of the AA

The open challenge was a big deal and on more than one occasion it was guy's stepping up, having the match of their lives (obviously in the kayfabe sense) and having the ability to dump everything into that one moment of time. They had never gotten a shot at Cena before and they might never again.

I think it worked in that context.

I agree, but that Cena US title run also has a similar one to what I was bitching about. WrestleMania. Springboard Stunner. Two count. Fuck

• Haha 1