DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of KO, he was basically rewarded for his loyalty of wanting to spend the rest of his career with WWE by constantly bumping for Braun over the last few months including taking the bump off the ladder at MitB, taking the Foley bump off the cage, and then getting squashed last night.

KO went from someone they could build around to a total joke.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Wasnt the Elias concert at the Gramerc on Saturday before the NXT show?

Technically correct - but they had always announced Elias would be doing something at Summerslam.

And then they cancelled the concert and Elias shot little things saying you would have to see him perform at Summerslam

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

This would be the smart way to play it.  I mean Becky was justifiably pissed off with Charlotte inserting herself into what was Becky's title match.  Of course that would be the smart direction to go in, and I think we all know what happens when we give credit to the intelligence of WWE's storyline decisions.

Let Becky take the title off of Charlotte at Evolution and start a program with Asuka that leads the two of them having a match at Mania.

Reminder that in storyline, Charlotte got into the Summerslam match because of Carmella insulting Paige, who then made the match. Its going to be really interesting to see where the storyline goes from here, but I'm not so sure that this is going to lead to a Charlotte turn even while I'm confident Becky will end the feud with the SDL women's title, whatever the alignments are. Interestingly, none of Charlotte's social media posts have been celebrating the win (though she did one complimenting Ronda on her win), they've just been expressing her emotional response to Becky's attack.

I think I would almost prefer if we continue to see conflicted Charlotte. She didn't try to weasel her way into the match, Paige added her to the match. On one hand, she is a professional wrestler and the goal is to win championships and get to that pay windah, but at what price? She can look no further than her father to see championships and money can still leave you very broken and alone. Does she want to follow down that road? Can she follow the angel on one shoulder or give into the devil dressed as her father on the other?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of KO, he was basically rewarded for his loyalty of wanting to spend the rest of his career with WWE by constantly bumping for Braun over the last few months including taking the bump off the ladder at MitB, taking the Foley bump off the cage, and then getting squashed last night.

KO went from someone they could build around to a total joke.

KO's a guy who's going to keep getting screen time and opportunities in perpetuity because of his strong on-screen personality. I don't think he loses anything bumping like a maniac for a guy who's been built to be Godzilla. In fact he's probably golden for doing his job well and making Braun look like a killer. 

On the main roster, KO's always been heavily featured. And with the Universal belt back on Raw, it's only a matter of time before he's back in the mix. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would be tempted to say this was better than Takeover if the show weren't so fucking long and if there weren't so many puzzling decisions. I was almost into Joe vs AJ more than anything on Takeover until the DQ finish. I get the DQ finish, but I think it sucked and it would have just been better to have it lead to AJ losing the title. I also wondered if Joe was gassed.

I said this before and I’ll say it again. Logic dictates that AJ’s anger would’ve lead to him losing the title. But the thing is they don’t want him to lose the title. It’s like the Nakamura feud where they didn’t want AJ to lose the title but they wanted to extend it so they kept doing fuck finishes. The fact that they did the DQ here instead of a Joe win confirms that Joe isn’t winning the WWE Title in this feud. AJ will triumph in the Hell in a Cell.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

The fact that they did the DQ here instead of a Joe win confirms that Joe isn’t winning the WWE Title in this feud.

I'm not understanding the "logic" you're using to inform this statement. I'm not taking a stand one way or the other on whether Joe wins the belt. But I'm curious about how you arrived at such a strong conclusion. Would you mind breaking this down for me?

If the idea is that the structure of recent world title feuds is 100% predictive of future behaviour, I don't think I agree with that. 

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

No more Ziggler vs. Rollins matches please, this was my least favourite. 

The only Rollins/Ziggler match  I ever want to happen again is a title vs. career match where Ziggler loses. And Rollins shoots on him if need be, and beats him in under a minute.

• Haha 2

If the WWE is going with Charlotte as the face and going to try to play Charlotte being torn by Becky attacking her then they better have Charlotte explain why she didnt in the two weeks between being add to the match and the match happening she never once said to Paige, something like. "I know I won the match against Carmella but its Becky's turn to get her title match, so I don't want to be part of the match, I will get my shot for the title against Becky after she beats Carmella" That changes the everything in one promo.

For the first time I got a post PPV survey from WWE asking my thoughts on the PPV.

The last question they asked was "What was the biggest surprise moment?"

I asked Becky giving Charlotte what she deserved (they phrased it as "Becky brutally attacking Charlotte" whatever)

For that question - they showed the results people were voting for. Becky was 2nd

Balor as the Demon was the runaway #1.

Democracy doesn't work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

The only Rollins/Ziggler match  I ever want to happen again is a title vs. career match where Ziggler loses. And Rollins shoots on him if need be, and beats him in under a minute.

Can they go to a double count out and both retire?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Can they go to a double count out and both retire?

Rollins just needs to embrace Inokiism and sayno to another 30+-minute match. (It would also hide his inability to sell an injured limb worth a damn.)

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm calling it right now. Ziggler loses his rematch against Rollins tonight. Then, the moment we've been waiting for...Drew McIntyre nearly kicks Ziggler's head off his body.

They announced Ambrose/Ziggler for tonight, of course it likely turns into the above mentioned tag. so no mandatory yet.

The biggest disappointment last night was that Ambrose and McIntyre didn't end up as a team

The 2nd biggest disappointment was that Ambrose and McIntyre didn't fuck

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The crowd responses to [Daniel Bryan] have been pretty flat compared to the pops he was getting before the forced retirement. I would enjoy seeing him elsewhere.

Man, I thought this might have been my imagination last night, or some kind of audio problem. The crowd was still happy to chant "Yes!" at all the right times, but I thought they seemed pretty muted in between. Bryan catches Miz by the throat, and there's no big cheer. Bryan has Miz up for a top-rope hurricanrana, and you can hear a pin drop! Pretty weird.

Yeah, I won't deny that it was a very well put together match but that audience just wanted movez and turnz for the most part. None of Joe/AJ, Bryan/Miz, or Nakamura/Hardy got real emotional investment from the audience. I mean, I can't say I blame them with a 14 hour show but it was noticeably weak.