DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

It kinda reminds me of their attempt at turning Bayley heel. In each case, both Bayley and Becky do the Ralphie thing where they're done taking the other person's shit and they lash out and beat someone's ass. That's going to get someone cheered 100% of the time.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It kinda reminds me of their attempt at turning Bayley heel. In each case, both Bayley and Becky do the Ralphie thing where they're done taking the other person's shit and they lash out and beat someone's ass. That's going to get someone cheered 100% of the time.

The last thing Becky needs is to have what happened with Bayley and now act like it never happened with this Boss and Hug tag team.  Eventually Becky has to stand up for herself or the fans will completely give up on her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Why are we assuming this is a Becky heel turn? Why can’t her actions lead to a Charlotte turn?

Charlotte can just as easily cut a promo on SDL about Becky being jealous of Charlotte’s family & intro into the biz. Poor little Becky had to scratch and claw in the bingo halls of Ireland while Flair was being groomed for greatness, Becky was always the 4th Horsewoman etc

Based on Charlotte's post match interview it seems this is where it's going.

• Like 1

Becky's booked implosion screamed of a wrestler simply getting frustrated in the heat of battle, rather than a lead into a full blown heel turn.  It also didn't help that Charlotte was the focus of her venom after screwing Becky out of the tap-out win.

If you're going to turn someone heel, don't have them beat down someone that deserves the beatdown.  That's why I think that LWP and Brysynner might be on point in calling for the Flair heel turn.

• Like 1

Yeah, you can easily have Charlotte be the one that turns heel here, since in the leadup, she "would be just as happy if Becky won", but wasted no time in nailing Becky with the Natural Selection when Mella was about to be tapping.

I had very low expectations for this last night, so color me surprised that I felt this was the most enjoyable big 4 show in a good while.

Unpopular Take: It may be the first time I enjoyed a main roster show over an NXT Takeover. I felt Takeover was a little flat outside of the women's title match.

• Like 5

Any word on whether Owens got injured last night? He got slammed on the metal ramp hard, the ref ran out to him very concerned and then they went right to the finish. Would explain why they threw Elias out there for no reason.

Just now, Swiftian said:

Any word on whether Owens got injured last night? He got slammed on the metal ramp hard, the ref ran out to him very concerned and then they went right to the finish. Would explain why they threw Elias out there for no reason.

They had advertised an Elias concert well before the show so that was always planned.

I would be tempted to say this was better than Takeover if the show weren't so fucking long and if there weren't so many puzzling decisions. I was almost into Joe vs AJ more than anything on Takeover until the DQ finish. I get the DQ finish, but I think it sucked and it would have just been better to have it lead to AJ losing the title. I also wondered if Joe was gassed.

Main event was...whatever. At least the crowd didn't shit all over it, but running Braun out there to say he wasn't going to be a coward only to have him wait until the match was over sucked. I don't care how Lesnar lost as long as he lost. 

Seth vs Dolph was the match of the night and I hope the feud is done, but I know it's not. That reverse superplex sure looked scary.

And then there was a bunch of weird shit. Like, a lot of weird shit. Two DQ finishes in title matches, KO got totally squashed, the decision making with Braun in the main event, Finn returns as the Demon for Baron fucking Corbin of all people - someone he's already defeated, and so on.

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Ronda is going to slowly morph into Dump Matsumoto. I'll leave the swastika jokes for y'all to insert. 

That would be like the best thing ever, I miss Dump. 

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Btw, the rib of the night goes to whoever set up the Bryan post-match promo:

C8K_4b2CWRG26VFeNc6AT_oTOzGb4I3pBNDm6J4o

18 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

There was a spinal diagram on the other side behind Brie too. 

Maybe I just don't want to believe there's any good in him and he's a total sociopath, but that screams Vince to me.

• Haha 2

Just finished the show.

I paid little attention to several matches throughout since I'm hot (no working A/C for a week now) and in some cases they just didn't interest me.

Almas/Vega vs. Rusev/Lana was fun for the Almas/Rusev parts.

New Day vs. BB was solid while it lasted. It was nice seeing the Harper and Rowan get a longer match.

I'm not sure what the point of Owens/Braun was if it was goign to be this bad of a squash. How the main event played out makes it an even odder decision.

The SDL Women's triple threat seemed decent enough. The story they have told with Becky turning has been well built, but this was a case where WWE needed change course. The reaction becky got for the attack was insane. I don't think the crowd hates Charlotte, but this is the type of situation that will make that change. Hopefully they are smart and find a way to turn her heel. She is better at it, vastly prefers it, and this was very much like the Bayley situation where the crowd clearly was telling them they won't accept it.

I need to rewatch Joe/AJ since I was distracted by the heat, but what I saw of it came across as great. I thought thew finish was fine and made perfect sense with Joe constantly mouthing off and finally pushing AJ too far. Joe walking off looking for blood at the end was wonderful and makes you know the next time he won't be wasting his time shit talking and trying to play mind games.

Bryan/Miz happening right after AJ/Joe was odd and probably not the smartest move. Still thought it was probably the best match Bryan has had since he returned, and the best Miz has has in a good year or so. I thought the ending was good and leaves room for a bigger rematch.

Demon Balor squashing Corbin was perfect, and I say that as a Corbin fan.

Nakamura/Jeff was solid stuff, but holy fuck on that swanton. It did make for a good ending.

Ronda/Alexa was perfect. Alexa getting in pretty much no effective offense was exactly how that should have played out. I had little problem with Ronda's new look though the makeup was a bit much unless she as trying to look like an 80s joshi heel.

Brock/Roman was significantly more enjoyable than their last two matches. I don't really care if the finish made Roman more lucky than good or made Brock look dumb splitting up his focus. Im just happy the belt is off of Brock. Hopefully they do the smart thing and have the Shield reunite to destroy Brock tonight in an attempted rematch.

Not the best show, but a solid one at worst. I don't think I could call it better than Takeover, but I did enjoy it more which might be the first time I can honestly say that.

12 hours ago, piranesi said:

So do they

1) Hear the reaction Becky got for turning heel and let her come out as a Stone Cold style antihero and kick the shit out of everyone as a badass babyface and become unbelievably popular?

or

2) Hear the reaction Becky got and try to "fix" the crowd by having her be a whiny mincing coward and having her say some shit about Ric Flair's liver or whatnot?

I think you know what's going to happen.

C) Pull Becky off TV until her contract expires?

Coach is like an idiot savant sometimes. Most of the time he just undercuts what's going on with his ignorance. Then sometimes he'll say something that pokes holes in the wrestlers or writing. Like calling out Seth's knee or wondering why Balor doesn't just wrestle as the Demon all the time if he's so dominant.

I can just hear Coach saying "Hey guys, now hear me out, hear me out.... Did you ever wonder why a wrestler can grab another wrestler and whip him into the ropes so hard that and he'll come running back? I don't think that's physically possible to be honest. Something fishy is going on here." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also there was just a great subtle callback (to the Mixed Match Challenge) on social media last night with Sami Zayn liking the WWE tweet about Becky attacking Charlotte

♥ 

• Like 5

I love that Samoa Joe seems to be the one guy on the main roster that's impervious to WWE's booking flaws. Joe should have been the one to beat Brock last year, but that's vintage WWE, always at least a year late to capitalize on someone's momentum. I hope Joe never turns face as long as he's on the main roster. The minute he does, he'll turn into a stumbling, buffoon being distracted by James Ellsworth in a grass skirt singing "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love that Samoa Joe seems to be the one guy on the main roster that's impervious to WWE's booking flaws. Joe should have been the one to beat Brock last year, but that's vintage WWE, always at least a year late to capitalize on someone's momentum. I hope Joe never turns face as long as he's on the WWE main roster. The minute he does, he'll turn into a stumbling, buffoon being distracted by James Ellsworth in a grass skirt singing "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts".

Samoa Joe can never be typical WWE babyface Smilin' Samoa Joe because when that dude smiles it looks terrifying. Even Braun can smile and look like a lovable goof.

Not Joe though, and that's why Joe is the hero we need and the one we deserve.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure what the point of Owens/Braun was if it was goign to be this bad of a squash. How the main event played out makes it an even odder decision.

Ronda/Alexa was perfect. Alexa getting in pretty much no effective offense was exactly how that should have played out. I had little problem with Ronda's new look though the makeup was a bit much unless she as trying to look like an 80s joshi heel.

Because they have to build Braun up to be a huge monster face so that when he cashes in the crowd is hot.  It makes no sense to hot shot the belt onto someone who is still relatively green just for pops and ratings.

Oh, hi Ronda.