DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

It's one of the hottest angles in the companies recent history and the Miz is a great heel and Bryan is one of the best baby faces they have. I'm sure they can drag this out until WM and have Bryan get his big win on the biggest stage they have.

While you're absolutely correct, you realize that the ability to "drag this out" isn't a laudable ability, right?

• Like 3

The DQ finish of Styles/Joe basically confirms that Joe isn’t getting the belt. It reminds me of when they wanted a reason to extend the Styles/Nakamura feud but they didn’t want to give Nakamura the belt so they just kept doing fuck finishes.

If Joe was ever going to win the belt, it would’ve been tonight. He could’ve taken advantage of AJ’s anger and stolen a win. But since they wanted to extended the feud without giving Joe the belt, they aren’t going to give it to him later. It looks like the Hell in a Cell rematch will be a clean win and triumph for AJ Styles who gets the happy ending with his family. 

Becky’s heel turn was an epic failure. The underdog who the fans always root for is supposed to be the bad guy. And the person who the fans resent for always winning and constantly being in the spotlight is the babyface. If the crowd is rooting for the heel to beat down the babyface, it’s a failure. You could argue that crowds will always pop for a heel turn but what happened after the heel turn can’t be twisted. Charlotte who’s supposed to be the babyface gets “YOU DESERVED IT!” chants after the beatdown. That means that the crowd wasn’t just happy to see Becky snap, they were happy to see Charlotte get her comeuppance which should be seen as a very undesirable reaction. Charlotte Flair is now a female Roman Reigns. Certain people are meant to be in certain roles. It’s like WWE sees it as a challenge to put people in roles that don’t fit them. Becky Lynch is a natural babyface. Charlotte Flair is a natural heel. But for some reason, they get off on booking surprise moments rather than logical stories. I really hope they go the anti-hero route with Becky rather than having her become a generic whiny coward heel like the rest of them. I’m not getting my hopes up though.

By the way, Becky also isn’t getting the belt. Since Ronda/Charlotte is the endgame at Mania, they will keep Charlotte strong. Becky is basically gonna be the villain of the month that Charlotte puts down. Becky will lose to Charlotte a couple times before they move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

The DQ finish of Styles/Joe basically confirms that Joe isn’t getting the belt. It reminds me of when they wanted a reason to extend the Styles/Nakamura feud but they didn’t want to give Nakamura the belt so they just kept doing fuck finishes.

If Joe was ever going to win the belt, it would’ve been tonight. He could’ve taken advantage of AJ’s anger and stolen a win. But since they wanted to extended the feud without giving Joe the belt, they aren’t going to give it to him later. It looks like the Hell in a Cell rematch will be a clean win and triumph for AJ Styles who gets the happy ending with his family. 

Becky’s heel turn was an epic failure. The underdog who the fans always root for is supposed to be the bad guy. And the person who the fans resent for always winning and constantly being in the spotlight is the babyface. If the crowd is rooting for the heel to beat down the babyface, it’s a failure. You could argue that crowds will always pop for a heel turn but what happened after the heel turn can’t be twisted. Charlotte who’s supposed to be the babyface gets “YOU DESERVED IT!” chants after the beatdown. That means that the crowd wasn’t just happy to see Becky snap, they were happy to see Charlotte get her comeuppance which should be seen as a very undesirable reaction. Charlotte Flair is now a female Roman Reigns. Certain people are meant to be in certain roles. It’s like WWE sees it as a challenge to put people in roles that don’t fit them. Becky Lynch is a natural babyface. Charlotte Flair is a natural heel. But for some reason, they get off on booking surprise moments rather than logical stories. I really hope they go the anti-hero route with Becky rather than having her become a generic whiny coward heel like the rest of them. I’m not getting my hopes up though.

By the way, Becky also isn’t getting the belt. Since Ronda/Charlotte is the endgame at Mania, they will keep Charlotte strong. Becky is basically gonna be the villain of the month that Charlotte puts down. Becky will lose to Charlotte a couple times before they move on.

But the most logical way to build to Ronda/Charlotte is to have Charlotte win the Rumble and challenge for Ronda's Raw title. Unless they're planning to have Ronda win the Rumble, Charlotte will surely drop the belt in the next couple of months, most likely to Becky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I was pissed with Charlotte Flair winning, she's back as a women's champion, she's much better as a heel and it all came at the expense of Becky Lynch who is so likeable. Fuck that shit.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Charlotte Flair has taken part in two of my least favourite match results this year: submitting Asuka at WrestleMania XXXIV ending Asuka's undefeated streak and this at SummerSlam.

This won't change but I did legit chuckle at the crowd reaction to Becky's beatdown of Charlotte after the match. Biggest response on the show.

I enjoy Charlotte but she was the last person I wanted as champion again. If they weren’t going to go with Becky, I would have preferred it stay on Carmella. And making Becky the heel is crazy as Charlotte plays that role far better than she plays face. They should have had her as the shady opportunist frenemy. Instead, we have the face getting her ass kicked to massive cheers and “you deserved it” chants. We’ll see how this develops but they have to be careful because Becky came off even more sympathetic than usual lol 

It was great seeing Nattie last night. That visual with her standing on the ramp, in her dad’s jacket, gave me the feels. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I enjoy Charlotte but she was the last person I wanted as champion again. If they weren’t going to go with Becky, I would have preferred it stay on Carmella. And making Becky the heel is crazy as Charlotte plays that role far better than she plays face. They should have had her as the shady opportunist frenemy. Instead, we have the face getting her ass kicked to massive cheers and “you deserved it” chants. We’ll see how this develops but they have to be careful because Becky came off even more sympathetic than usual lol 

It was great seeing Nattie last night. That visual with her standing on the ramp, in her dad’s jacket, gave me the feels. 

Echo all this. Will repost the Natalya photo of her wearing her Dad's jacket:

natalya_0.jpg

• Like 2

Why are we assuming this is a Becky heel turn? Why can’t her actions lead to a Charlotte turn?

Charlotte can just as easily cut a promo on SDL about Becky being jealous of Charlotte’s family & intro into the biz. Poor little Becky had to scratch and claw in the bingo halls of Ireland while Flair was being groomed for greatness, Becky was always the 4th Horsewoman etc

Becky then gets the huge win by making Charlotte tap in the main event of Evolution.

Charlotte wins the Rumble & goes on to face Rousey on he Raw side while Becky defends in a handicap match against the iconics or something.

Personally I’d love to see her and Asuka get 20 mins but I think they will save that for after Mania while they rehab Asuka.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Why are we assuming this is a Becky heel turn? Why can’t her actions lead to a Charlotte turn?

Charlotte can just as easily cut a promo on SDL about Becky being jealous of Charlotte’s family & intro into the biz. Poor little Becky had to scratch and claw in the bingo halls of Ireland while Flair was being groomed for greatness, Becky was always the 4th Horsewoman etc

Becky then gets the huge win by making Charlotte tap in the main event of Evolution.

This would be the smart way to play it.  I mean Becky was justifiably pissed off with Charlotte inserting herself into what was Becky's title match.  Of course that would be the smart direction to go in, and I think we all know what happens when we give credit to the intelligence of WWE's storyline decisions.

Let Becky take the title off of Charlotte at Evolution and start a program with Asuka that leads the two of them having a match at Mania.

• Like 2

I quickly scrolled through the like 5 pages I hadn't read so this might have been mentioned but

Meltzer was insistent last night on Twitter that the reaction to Becky was the exact reaction the WWE wanted, was why the match was laid out the way it was and why it was done in front of this crowd.

And Natural posted it here but I mentioned it in the general thread too but they really had the MMA Horsewomen starting the tease for Horsewomen vs Horsewomen last night complete with Marina Shafir calling the WWE 4H all whores.

• Like 1

Also there was just a great subtle callback (to the Mixed Match Challenge) on social media last night with Sami Zayn liking the WWE tweet about Becky attacking Charlotte

• Like 4