DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Is there any chance we could be finished with having to have a heel announcer?  It's so annoying and it actually undercuts the outrageous injustice of whatever the heel does to sneak a win by having someone Sarah Huckabee it in our ears over and over.

I think it really hit home when Renee was doing Raw and that dynamic was kind of gone for awhile and it was way better. But tonight it was back and goddamn it was tedious.

• Like 6

I just checked wikipedia and three of the main card matches were < 5 minutes with the main event being only 6:10.  These ten minute recap packages before every match need to stop.  I realize you need some intermission time for setup and to give the crowd a break, but there's a damn two hour preshow to get that stuff out of the way.

• Like 8

Thought Seth/Dolph was awesome again and a perfect opener. Then the show dipped down a bit fuck braun. Picked up again with the hyped women's 3 way which was pretty good. Went exactly as I predicted it would in setting up Charlotte/Becky, sad to see the end of Mella's reign like that though without her being pinned as I was loving her heel act as champ and now she'll be out of the picture for a bit. Absolutely loved Joe/Styles, thought it was pretty much perfect and a smart finish to continue the feud. I figured it would end that way with AJ snapping but wasn't sure they'd do two DQs. Great stuff and an actual grudge worthy of a Hell in a Cell match.  Thought Miz/Bryan was also very good stuff, a slower paced but really fun wrestling match for the most part. Predictable finish once Maryse was shown ringside but a great way to keep it going.

Normally I would despise the Constable getting squashed like that but it was somewhat more acceptable since it was the return of the Demon King. I was starting to think they were quietly phasing that out. Still a bit weird to do the whole Demon paint thing for less than 2 minutes of action.  Nakamura/Hardy was pretty fun, the missed Swanton on the apron was nuts.. shocked there was no Orton involvement and then he comes out to turn around and leave which was hilariously random. Ronda/Alexa went exactly as expected all along, a fun enough squash. Now once Evolution rolls around, Alexa will be out of the title picture for the first time in 2 years. Main event was pretty nothing, glad Brock owned Braun again but that's about it. Good for Roman, whenever the cash in does happen I'm out. Overall a solid show, way better than last months, with 3 or 4 really good matches. Stood out that RAW's matches mostly got shit for time while SDL got the big longer matches except Dolph/Seth. I've generaly preferred Raw for the past year+ but wouldn't think so judging by tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

I just checked wikipedia and three of the main card matches were < 5 minutes with the main event being only 6:10.  These ten minute recap packages before every match need to stop.  I realize you need some intermission time for setup and to give the crowd a break, but there's a damn two hour preshow to get that stuff out of the way.

and trotting Elias out there was completely unnecessary

7 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Is there any chance we could be finished with having to have a heel announcer?  It's so annoying and it actually undercuts the outrageous injustice of whatever the heel does to sneak a win by having someone Sarah Huckabee it in our ears over and over.

I think it really hit home when Renee was doing Raw and that dynamic was kind of gone for awhile and it was way better. But tonight it was back and goddamn it was tedious.

Corey was dogging Charlotte when Becky turned iirc and then had a concerned face when the camera was on them after it.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Different times, though. They weren't united.

But it would still make them hypocrites, if they're uniting against Braun only because he has the briefcase and it's unjust. Which would probably make sense in WWE, since most WWE babyfaces are hypocrites or assholes.

• Like 1

Actually thought it was a fun show, aside from the result of the SD Women's title match. I would rather Mella kept it for a year than see Charlotte with it again. Becky's beat down afterward was great, as was the reaction from the crowd. Pretty sure she potatoed the fuck out of Charlotte on that first slap. 

Luke Harper took a couple rough landings, that belly to belly on the outside and then that urange/backstabber combo off the apron. Both were brutal. 

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and trotting Elias out there was completely unnecessary

When Owens was crushed that fast I was thinking "Did something run long?" And then when Elias did his thing I was wondering "No, wait, did something run short?" But then they squashed Alexa and it was back to "Did something run long?"

What a weird show. I mean, I kind of liked how crazy strange the main event was. It was just three bizarrely huge mammoths hitting finishers on each other for five minutes and had a 1980s Summerslam feel to it. Not that that's a great thing in itself, but it was weird and fun and utter nonsense.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Edwin said:

It's one of the hottest angles in the companies recent history and the Miz is a great heel and Bryan is one of the best baby faces they have. I'm sure they can drag this out until WM and have Bryan get his big win on the biggest stage they have.

You want them to drag out Bryan/Miz another eight months? Ugh...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You want them to drag out Bryan/Miz another eight months? Ugh...

They can keep them away and come Survivor Series or Rumble time get them going again.

Similar to what they should do with Gargano and Ciampa. Keep them away for while and then get it going back again.

Thought it was a pretty strong show for what it was. It wasn't Takeover, but it wasn't trying to be Takeover and succeeded on its own terms. I thought the storytelling in the SDL women's three-way flowed on logically from the way the feud's been built, and while there's a lot of 'BECKY IS REALLY THE FACE!' reactions that are being based on the meta-story (Rebecca Quin hasn't won for a long time and deserves a title run) and crowd response, the storytelling itself has been very careful to say otherwise. In story, Charlotte only got her chance because Carmella insulted Paige rather than through her own actions, as was stated again by Paige on SDL this week, and they've been consistently presenting it on social media and interviews as a story where Charlotte wants to do well but also wants to be friends with Becky (to the extent she repeatedly declared she'd be just as happy if Becky won), while Becky has been completely focused on winning the match herself, to the extent that their tweets after SDL this week were Becky expressing confidence that she's winning, and Charlotte being shocked that Becky left her hanging on tea-time after their tag match.

I'm just happy it looks like they're going to get a proper feud rather than being a Sasha and Bayley situation. (And Becky did say "we're not Sasha and Bayley" on SDL the other week, which really looks like it has a double-meaning now.) Also, Carmella did better than she has in her other matches, and her wearing pink and black felt like a nice Neidhart tribute.

• Like 1