DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

CW match was good but the finishing sequence was a bit sloppy.

I was hoping The Revival would finally get a chance to come out on top, but it looks like the Job squad is going to hand on to the belts a bit longer.

Seth/Dolph was like Ciampa/Gargano from Takeover in that it was a good match but has been done to death lately.  Looking at the match on its own, it was a great outing from both guys and probably the best of their series.  I was expecting a turn from Drew, but maybe that's coming later.

The SD tag match wasn't bad but just there.  Sanity or The Bar would have been much better in the challenger spot.

Owens/Braun was fucking pointless.

Carmella's reign had more than run its course, but Charlotte is the person who needs it least. Becky doesn't really work as a heel but she's my favorite woman on the main roster so I think she can make it work. The crowd's reaction was excellent

Joe/AJ was shaping up to be an MOTYC until that bullshit finish.  This whole drag AJ's family into the picture for cheap heat is incredibly stupid.  We'll get more AJ/Joe matches though, so there's that.

The storytelling of Miz/Bryan was fine but the match itself went a little too long before the inevitable conclusion.  It's good that the WWE actually puts effort into a long term storyline but I always feel like we're on borrowed time with how long Bryan is back and I can think of a dozen other people I'd rather see him in a program with.  They're probably going to do a mixed tag with their wives at some point and that's going to be a steaming pile.

Rhonda was very good at shit talking as she was taking Alexa apart.  I'm not a fan of hot shotting the title onto newcommers, but if she can actually have the dedication to improve in the ring and wrestle on a regular basis then I'm ok with it.

Corbin/Finn gave people a chance to take a piss.

For a guy whose body is held together with duct tape at this point, Jeff Hardy has been having a great run as of late.  I cringed a bit when he missed that swanton on the apron, but the match was quite solid overall.

I don't care that Roman has the belt, I just hope we never see Brock again.  Braun states he's not a coward, but seems content to let both guys beat eachother up so he can pick the bones of who's left.  Ok then.  And then he ends up getting taken out for his troubles.

How many times did the faces end up looking like chumps tonight?

• Like 1

Just now, Critts said:

What was the point of the Bellas getting in the ring after Rousey won? It was nice to hear the Brooklyn crowd booing them after. 

I"M GIVING YOU HE RUB BROTHER ITS THE BROTHERHOOD OF WRESTLING YOU LIFT ME UP I LIFT ME UP!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The main event though...  I mean why the fuck didn't Braun enter as a triple threat?  He was like "I'm not a coward" and the crowd was HYPED and then he sits it out.  I guess the real reason was to use Braun as a distraction so the crowd didn't shit all over the match...   but the crowd started shitting on it anyway.  

AND...  Braun now looks like a fucking idiot. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So this is what happens when you attempt to turn one of the most naturally over babyfaces in the entire company.  Stupid ass company lol

That crowd finally gave Charlotte the reaction she has deserved for about a year now.  The Roman Reigns reaction.   The reaction Reigns doesn't really deserve because he isn't really shoved down our throats unlike Charlotte

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Fuck did Kevin Owens do to get squashed like that coupled with the big bumps he's taken lately?

There were two heels whose entire character is based on dependably having a plan to beat the bigger person who appeared to have no plan tonight.  Alexa's plan was apparently to

Spoiler

leave

which failed when she didn't

Spoiler

leave.

It was very frustrating for someone who likes both of those characters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Bryan's contract is up in like 12 days. 

Didn't he say earlier this week that it was very likely he was going to sign a new one because he was happy or something along that line?

I'm glad the Miz won. Now they can continue to build to a bigger match at WM.