DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

So, looking at the SummerSlam card, SDL has 6 matches, RAW has 5, and then the Cruiserweight title. Is this the first time SDL has had more matches on a show than RAW? Especially a "major" show like SummerSlam?

Maybe they'll correct that by having all the SDL matches in the first hour.  I'd like that idea a lot.  The SDL matches are the only ones I want to see.  

• Like 3

Man this is all setting perfectly for Reigns to look like a complete idiot on Sunday.  AGAIN.  I mean they are even hyping it as Brock being worried about Roman for the first time.  I don't care what the betting lines are in this one 

Man there are so many damn matches on this show.  I know there is a 2 hour pre show but either a lot of the matches we are looking forward to are going to be too short or we are looking at closer to a 7 hour PPV  ?

On 8/14/2018 at 1:44 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe they'll correct that by having all the SDL matches in the first hour.  I'd like that idea a lot.  The SDL matches are the only ones I want to see.  

All for this plus I get to bed earlier.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

FOR THE WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins

Given Dolph's horrible locks, I think they missed the opportunity for Seth to get some baby face shine by making fun of Ziggler and suggesting that the match have a Title vs. Hair stip.

• Like 1

Something that was in plain sight, but I just noticed.   

There are 13 matches on this card, but with the borderline exception of a triple threat... There are zero gimmick matches on this card. 

Nothing major, just... nice.

Something came to my mind yesterday. This will be the first SummerSlam without a Sasha Banks match, she made the main roster in time for SummerSlam 2015. The past two SummerSlams, Sasha Banks was in the WWE Women's Championship match vs. Charlotte at SummerSlam 2016 and against Alexa Bliss last year for the WWE RAW Women's Championship.

Main card matches I'm interested in at SummerSlam:

AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe.

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz.

Bludgeon Brothers vs. The New Day.

Carmella vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair.

Alexa Bliss vs. Ronda Rousey.

That's 4/5 from Smackdown Live.

It's weird, but for the first time in forever, I'm as hyped for a main card match as I am for a Takeover match. Joe vs AJ might also be the first match in forever to be better than what will go down at Takeover. Unless Gargano and Ciampa bust out another classic or Mustache Mountain, Creepy Kyle, and Roddy bust out another classic.

I've just been watching so much AJ and Joe stuff today that I'm so stoked for their match. 

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Something came to my mind yesterday. This will be the first SummerSlam without a Sasha Banks match, she made the main roster in time for SummerSlam 2015. The past two SummerSlams, Sasha Banks was in the WWE Women's Championship match vs. Charlotte at SummerSlam 2016 and against Alexa Bliss last year for the WWE RAW Women's Championship.

If you haven't seen it,  check out Sasha vs. Ruby from this past week's RAW.  It's a damn good little match.  It felt like their "SummerSlam" 

• Like 1

I could see it too, but I like the idea somebody else posted better (which I can't find now to properly attribute). Miz beats AJ for the title by bullshit chicanery at the Rumble, Bryan wins the Rumble, Miz-Bryan at Wrestlemania.

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh...oh my god...I just watched this...

Joe is right.  AJ may be yelling, "Don't hold me back!" out loud but as the Richard Pryor joke goes, he's secretly whispering, "Don't any of you mother fuckers let me go.  You hear me?"

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2018 at 5:30 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you haven't seen it,  check out Sasha vs. Ruby from this past week's RAW.  It's a damn good little match.  It felt like their "SummerSlam" 

I did, mate and enjoyed it. Shame neither including Bayley won't be wrestling.

• Like 2

Main card predictions:

Reigns wins the WWE Universal Championship. Be gone, Brock! 

Styles retains the WWE Championship. Hope I'm wrong and Joe gets it. 

The Miz beats Daniel Bryan. 

Ronda Rousey is the new WWE RAW Women's Championship. Can see Bliss cheating to retain though. 

Charlotte Flair is the new WWE Smackdown Live Women's Champion but I prefer it if it's Becky Lynch.

The New Day are the new WWE Smackdown Live Tag Team Champions. 

Kevin Owens gets the MITB briefcase. 

Ziggler retains the WWE Intercontinental Champion. They should have kept it on Seth Rollins to lose it to Finn Balor. 

Balor Club wins. 

Nakamura defends the WWE United States Title.