DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I'll probably turn it off after AJ/Joe hopefully they don't decide that this is the time that AJ gets to main event a PPV, I really hope they open the show. I'd probably be ok with watching Bryan/Miz if that happen also, but other than that not really interested. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

so that is Vince's idea of taking a liking and apparently giving a push to Almas? 

To play devil's advocate, who's going to get bumped for Almas? AJ, Joe, Bryan, Miz, Hardy, Orton and Nakamura are all ahead of him. The women's division needs time. The tag division is loaded and doesn't get the attention they deserve. At least Almas/Zelina are on TV. Haven't seen the Usos in a bit, Naomi and Asuka are on milk cartons.

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

To play devil's advocate, who's going to get bumped for Almas? AJ, Joe, Bryan, Miz, Hardy, Orton and Nakamura are all ahead of him. The women's division needs time. The tag division is loaded and doesn't get the attention they deserve. At least Almas/Zelina are on TV. Haven't seen the Usos in a bit, Naomi and Asuka are on milk cartons.

I'll add to the devil's advocate case: Almas and Vega have only been featured on TV for a short period of time. Starting their gradual ascent to the top by taking on the world title challenger at the last PPV is nothing to sneeze at. 

The bench is deep and these co-branded shows are so overloaded with talent that not everyone gets a primo spot every month. Joe wasn't even featured at Extreme Rules. Thus, I see no reason to sound alarms here over one kick off match. 

• Like 1

I had just assumed the US title match was a three way.  Unless Orton's recent bad behavior gets him in the doghouse (which is unlikely) I'm guessing he gets himself added on Tuesday.

Aiden is totally going to cost Rusev and Lana the match.  It's too bad as being Rusev's hype man was a good spot for him to be in.  Now he's going to lose the inevitable series of matches and go back to obscurity. 

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Hey remember a month ago when Rusev was facing AJ for the WWE title? Just one network show later he is in a mixed tag with 2 managers on the pre-show...

In fairness,  the mixed tag is one of the more interesting matches on this card.   At least that's how I feel about it. 

• Like 1

Also in terms of even having a match - it marks the second straight PPV that neither Sasha Banks or Bayley are on (at least at the moment)

And the only reason I noticed that is because Sasha responded to the this WWE instagram post with something like "Can I have a match? I've been good"

(Apollo Crews also responded with ??‍♂️)

5 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Counter argument to for those upset about Rusev being on the preshow. With all those matches wouldnt you rather be on the preshow and get 10-15mins then on the main show and get 5-10?

I can see that but I also think WWE could do a better job with match times.  If I watch an NJPW event it's basically the same length maybe shorter than these WWE PPVs and all the matches usually get plenty of time.  They don't have endless video packages and bullshit talking segments so understandably that's part of the reason;  I could do without the BS talking. 

• Like 1

Recapping storylines on the preshow makes sense.  Putting the same ten minutes of video and interview clips before a match makes the whole show drag on even more.  I can understand doing that before main events to really sell the whole story they're trying to tell, but it's a massive time suck as a whole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Was it Edge that brought up this idea a few years ago?

I think it was him in the E+C podcast (or maybe with Jericho) saying that everyone should have 3-4 months off through the year to help keep fresh and healthy.

How much good would a holiday be for Roman right now?

Brock beats him again, Roman walks away. Braun cashes in etc and nobody hears from Roman for months. Then he returns the night after the Rumble (or on the show itself) with some new music and a different look on his gear etc

to lose his smile and go home?

• Like 1

Yeah.  The words "two sport champion" were uttered on WWE tv.  You all better learn to live with disappointment.

Anywhooooo.....   I am *not* about this world where TNA is actually doing competent things like properly using their tape library to piggyback off WWE.   In this case, they posted Joe/AJ from Sacrifice '07 online last week:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, Matt D said:

The roster is big enough that they really should start giving people seasonal time off.

I think the big problem is the appearances clause or whatever they call it for doing house shows.  Everyone busts ass to clear it out early in case they get injured.  They would have to rework everyone's contract which I doubt they want to do.

With ROH, Impact, and Indy wrestling being so hot they don't want to let anyone go lest they create another Cody or Emma so they would rather let them sit.

13 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Was it Edge that brought up this idea a few years ago?

I think it was him in the E+C podcast (or maybe with Jericho) saying that everyone should have 3-4 months off through the year to help keep fresh and healthy.

How much good would a holiday be for Roman right now?

Brock beats him again, Roman walks away. Braun cashes in etc and nobody hears from Roman for months. Then he returns the night after the Rumble (or on the show itself) with some new music and a different look on his gear etc

A while back, someone made a video for a rotating roster that seemed feasible. But in addition to contracts needing major adjustment, as mentioned, they probably come into the issue of how to rotate the stars that fans actually go to see. 

As for Roman, there's nothing in his character that suggests he would walk away. He's more likely to set an arena on fire. Besides, the hemming and hawing is beyond tiresome. Get the belt on him and let him keep it for a long time.

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

I think the big problem is the appearances clause or whatever they call it for doing house shows.  Everyone busts ass to clear it out early in case they get injured.  They would have to rework everyone's contract which I doubt they want to do.

With ROH, Impact, and Indy wrestling being so hot they don't want to let anyone go lest they create another Cody or Emma so they would rather let them sit.

I haven't been paying all that much attention lately. Has Emma been able to become a draw on the indies?

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I haven't been paying all that much attention lately. Has Emma been able to become a draw on the indies?

Apparently, yes.  She was in the ROH tournament.  Did an Australia/NZ tour.  She is getting calls for bookings.  

I don't think the WWE wants to let anyone go given the strength of indy wrestling right now.  When they were the only game in town, they could hold it over wrestler's heads.  Not that way anymore.