DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXI - 8/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2nd biggest PPV of the year is a month away.  

The card, updating as matches are announced:

FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP:  Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns or Bobby Lashley

FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP: AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP:  Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Ronda Rousey

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Carmella (c) vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair

FOR THE MONEY IN THE BANK CONTRACT: Braun Strowman (incumbent) vs. Kevin Owens

FOR THE WWE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins

FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Jeff Hardy 

FOR THE WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Drew Gulak

FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. The New Day

FOR THE RAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: The B-Team (c) vs. The Revival

Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin

Andrade "Cien" Almas & Zelina Vega vs. Rusev & Lana

The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan

Probable:

Bobby Lashley vs. Elias

I just want Braun to cash in and win the title.

I kind of hope Miz wins this one so they can set up a rematch at WM with the world title on the line. Sadly there is probably no chance that happens.

Have to disagree, the crowd are never right to try and ruin the show for other people. Whatever your opinions on Roman, he's still a guy with a huge fanbase, a big merch mover, and they will still want to see their guy try and win the world title, and they don't deserve to have a load of dicks ruining the match for them. Just go to the bar if you don't like it. I mean, I'd rather drown in a sea of vomit than watch Seth vs Ziggler, but I wouldn't sit there at the show braying about how bad the match is because I know lots of other people around me would probably be enjoying themselves, and don't need an obnoxious loud arsehole bellowing about how much their favourite sucks.

• Like 5

Two of these matches are repeats from the last PPV and the main event is this generation's John Cena vs Randy Orton.  Speaking of Cena, I wonder if they're going to shoehorn him in here somewhere.

32 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hope this is it for Brock Lesnar. Fuck off outta here.

If the show ends up being shit, I can forgive a lot of that should it be the last we see of Brock.

• Like 2

I can't see a booking route forward that doesn't feel a little bit compromised.

- Brock wins, no cash-in = LOL
- Roman wins, no cash-in = shat on
- Brock wins, cash-in, Braun wins = he didn't beat a fit man
- Roman wins, cash-in, Braun wins = shat on AND see previous
- Braun cashes in before match end, pins Roman = cheap
- Braun cashes in before match end, pins Brock clean = not happening

watch them try and go a bit 'shooty' with the promos ahead of this to convince you it's a big deal

• Like 1

Roman’s been cashed in on like three times, hasn’t he?

Their best route is Roman catching Brock early and basically squashing him.  Braun/Owens tease coming out to cash in, but a still fresh roman stares them down.

They’re also probably better off opening the show with this.

31 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Their best route is Roman catching Brock early and basically squashing him.  Braun/Owens tease coming out to cash in, but a still fresh roman stares them down.

Roman successfully dissuading Braun from cashing in by staring him down would be pretty awful. Owens would work in that scenario.

I'd like if Roman stared Braun down and Braun started walking away only to turn and yell "I'm not finished with you yet" and then cash in but yeah I don't want another Roman got screwed out of his rightful title, give him sympathy storyline. There is no good outcome from Brock/Roman other than Brock hopefully never being on WWE again, well except for his eventual Hall of Fame induction which he could end up no showing any way

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hope this is it for Brock Lesnar. Fuck off outta here.

I expect like Vince will at least extend an offer for Brock to continue being involved going forward. He's not going to wash his hands of Lesnar with the DC fight coming up and all the attention that will have. 

At best, I just hope he loses the Universal title. And I think Vince will be keen on making sure there's no risk of his champion getting rocked in the octagon. 

I've got my fingers crossed that the match we see is more WM31 and less WM34. I know what both guys are capable and hope they bring it. Heck, give me the Goldberg match from WM33. I won't complain. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

When is Ambrose back? Maybe the Shield reunite to thwart Braun's cash in after Roman beats Brock?

It won't happen, but a Shield reunion with them destroying Brock would be the best thing to happen.

• Like 1

Decisive Roman victory
Roman calls out Braun to cash in
Braun comes out, bell rings. Roman intentionally gets himself disqualified and walks out. Show ends with Braun destroying the place.
Reigns cuts promo on Raw next night about being cashed in on enough times that he'd had enough. Angle forces him to defend against Braun tonight.
Shield reunites on Raw and beat down Braun.
Braun goes through Rollins and Ambrose to get a shot at Reigns
Reigns defends against Lashley and Finn in interim.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't give a fuck about Roman vs. Brock.   Crowd will be right to shit on it. 

This has to be one of those things I won't ever get. Being aggressively rude while others are trying to watch the match is silly. Yet the same folks get bent out of shape if someone so much as mentions something mildly offensive about their favorite.

Being an ass because you don't like a pre-scripted fight isn't something to be right about and ruin someone else's good time.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

This has to be one of those things I won't ever get. Being aggressively rude while others are trying to watch the match is silly. Yet the same folks get bent out of shape if someone so much as mentions something mildly offensive about their favorite.

Being an ass because you don't like a pre-scripted fight isn't something to be right about and ruin someone else's good time.

Crowds being jerks and shitty for no reason is something I don't get but then there's WrestleMania XXX which we all look back at fondly and I don't think we would if the planned main event of Batista vs. Orton had gone down.