DVDVR Message Board

JAMES GUNN FIRED FROM MCU

Zimbra

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

James Gunn is not a standup comedian and Twitter is a public forum. It’s not private. Anyone can read it. He wasn’t telling dirty jokes for a comedy special or a movie.  

Miguel Torres got temporarily fired from the UFC for an offensive tweet that he was quoting from a tv show. As Bas Rutte. Pointed out when you post on Twitter, the room is the world. It’s not you and a group of friends who understand your personality.

the only party at fault for this is James Gunn. And he never apologized for these tweets before. 

You're glossing over the fact that this validates a far-right conspiracy nutjob and sets a dangerous precedent for other far-right nutjobs taking down public figures that criticize them and/or the Donald. Also incentivizes more dudes appearing on pizza places wielding assault rifles looking for pedophiles

• Like 9

9 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

The thing is, that was very in keeping with mid-2000s style dark humour. Like, is it REALLY that far outside the kind of shit you'd see on Family Guy or South Park within the era? Never mind the kind of humour that was giving people a profile online. I'm not trying to defend it because it's shit tier humour, in poor taste at best and actively harmful at worst, but Gunn was basically just appealing to an audience that was genuinely taking up a lot of conceptual space in comedy at the time and there are dozens of other comedy writers who were dropping the same kind of jokes into content directly if not on Twitter.

He directed Tromeo and Juliet and was Lloyd Kaufman's protege. There is nothing about him that should have been surprising to Disney/Marvel. 

He apologized years ago and did a great job for Marvel/Disney. Disney has more money than God and own almost everything. I suppose you really can't expect loyalty from a corporation. 

38 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That’s a pretty far reach. 

How so? I mean, armed dude trying to rescue children from pedophiles in the basement of a pizza place that doesn't have a basement because of things Cernovich and others said literally already happened once.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

How so? I mean, armed dude trying to rescue children from pedophiles in the basement of a pizza place that doesn't have a basement because of things Cernovich and others said literally already happened once.

It just seems like a lot of people are trying to make excuses for Gunn because they like him and his movies and they will easily condemn others for the same behavior. 

http://www.themarysue.com/james-gunnsuperhero-sex-post/

Was this part of some left-wing conspiracy to destroy Gunn's career? A leftist website took him to task for an offensive blog he wrote in 2011, when Gunn was a young 45 year old. 

Meanwhile, you have people talking about an imaginary apology beforehand for these tweets that he never made. He only ever apologized for the 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With, which included this gem:

"Rising a full 24 places, Storm is once again our highest ranking woman of color and considering most of our other women of color on this list are green or blue or pink, that's quite a feat. This lesbian character was voted for almost exclusively by men. I don't know exactly what that means. But I'm hoping for a Marvel-DC crossover so that Tony Stark can "turn" her. She could also have sex with Nightwing and probably still be technically considered a lesbian."

The whole thing makes me sad. I'm not sure Gunn should've lost his job and his career should be destroyed over this. At the same time, I don't think Disney made the wrong move here.

DiqFlr1UYAAyhN4.jpg

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It just seems like a lot of people are trying to make excuses for Gunn because they like him and his movies and they will easily condemn others for the same behavior. 

http://www.themarysue.com/james-gunnsuperhero-sex-post/

Was this part of some left-wing conspiracy to destroy Gunn's career? A leftist website took him to task for an offensive blog he wrote in 2011, when Gunn was a young 45 year old. 

Meanwhile, you have people talking about an imagine apology beforehand for these tweets that he never made. He only ever apologized for the 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With, which included this gem:

"Rising a full 24 places, Storm is once again our highest ranking woman of color and considering most of our other women of color on this list are green or blue or pink, that's quite a feat. This lesbian character was voted for almost exclusively by men. I don't know exactly what that means. But I'm hoping for a Marvel-DC crossover so that Tony Stark can "turn" her. She could also have sex with Nightwing and probably still be technically considered a lesbian."

I'm sorry, am I supposed to be offended that James Gunn made a blog post about having sex with imaginary characters, and then made jokes about said imaginary characters made up sexual preferences?

• Like 2

This is way bigger than Gunn, dude's going to be fine even if he doesn't direct another Marvel movie.

Actually the pizza thing already happened twice.

Alt-right linking the left with pedophilia has been a tactic of them for a long ass time. The Cernoviches and Alex Jones of the world love to rant about that shit and a whole lot of people (white dudes mostly) are lapping it all up.

An interesting read: Click here

• Like 3

It matters that it was Cernovich. Now that he’s moved onto Michael Ian Black, he’s pulling up old Black tweets about eating pizza to prove he’s a pedophile, and the maniacs that follow him are buying into it. We’re seeing the slippery slope in real time. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm sorry, am I supposed to be offended that James Gunn made a blog post about having sex with imaginary characters, and then made jokes about said imaginary characters made up sexual preferences?

No. But others clearly were, including a left-leaning website, and that was what Gunn apologized for beforehand. He never apologized for these tweets. So was it a left-wing conspiracy that tried to hurt his career before?

Also people have created this outrage culture where people's careers and livelihoods are destroyed over this. And Gunn himself has personally supported it. In other words, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

I am horrible for this but I am actually laughing uncontrollably upon seeing that some Cernovichbot tried to do this to Anthony Jeselnik. 

I'd pay to see them try this shit with Ricky Gervais or Jim Jefferies. . . . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I'd pay to see them try this shit with Ricky Gervais or Jim Jefferies. . . . 

I'm sure it would start with "damn furriners want to take our guns!"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ace said:

A reminder that Mike Cernovich is responsible for the following statements:

tweets.jpg

He was also charged with rape and plead down to battery. 

MC is a doucebag, but just because the messenger is covered in shit doesn't make him a liar.

James Gunn forgot that the rules of the internet are the same as boxing.  Protect yourself at all times.

Don't say any dumb things on the internet that you wouldn't say in real life to an actual person who might punch you in response to those dumb things.

• Like 2

So, the response to "how is this not something that emboldens the exact conspiracy theorists that cause attacks on pizza places" is "he never apologized for the tweets and other people have lost their jobs over tweets."

.... Huh

• Like 3

Shit like this is why I don't use twitter and never make any sort of online post anywhere about politics, religion, etc. Social media can be a cesspool sometimes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, the response to "how is this not something that emboldens the exact conspiracy theorists that cause attacks on pizza places" is "he never apologized for the tweets and other people have lost their jobs over tweets."

.... Huh

That’s hot garbage.  It’s about as valid as Videogames causing school shootings. Or Bernie Sanders ranting emboldened that shooting at a baseball game with those congressmen.

my response is the reaching to try and excuse Gunn’s behavior that would be otherwise condemned if it was someone they didn’t like. 

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That’s hot garbage.  It’s about as valid as Videogames causing school shootings. Or Bernie Sanders ranting emboldened that shooting at a baseball game with those congressmen.

my response is the reaching to try and excuse Gunn’s behavior that would be otherwise condemned if it was someone they didn’t like. 

It. Literally. Has. Already. Happened.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What has exactly happened?

What Brian said below.  The firing of Gunn gives credence to MC's Pizzagate bullshit.  No one considered the source or the character of the person digging up these fireable tweets.. 

19 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What has exactly happened?

The people pushing the DNC/Liberal Hollywood Elite pedophile ring conspiracy theory (which is what Cernovich did here, he used these tweets to "prove" Gunn is part of said ring) has led to armed people attacking a pizza place to rescue the children in the non-existant basement. 

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

What Brian said below.  The firing of Gunn gives credence to MC's Pizzagate bullshit.  No one considered the source or the character of the person digging up these fireable tweets..

Does this tweet that came straight from James Gunn lend the same kind of credence?  If it doesn’t, why not?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/996637656913141760?lang=en

not reading through this thread, but GotG is a franchise i had zero interest in before the movies. GotG1 ranks in my top two Marvel movies, and the i loved the sequel too. i am highly disappointed in this turn of events and hope that either cooler heads prevail so this is overturned, or somebody with similar outlook and ability takes over these movies.