DVDVR Message Board

JAMES GUNN FIRED FROM MCU

Zimbra

Someone online summed it up well. It's not unreasonable to dislike Gunn for what he's said or done in the past, BUT "him being fired for things Disney already knew existed, things that we already talked about when he was hired for GOTG 1 years ago, just to please a campaign from right-wing trolls? Not happy about that."

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Though someone should clue in some of those idiots that the hashtag was started by Russians who...oh right, they're idiots and don't give a fuck as long as they "win".

Not sure why you're using the quotation marks. If they can use false equivalency and your own moral inflexibility to pressure you into cannibalizing your own side, that's a win. 

• Like 3

Because these days, there are no wins. It's just using the last of your air supply to laugh at the other side before the feces-laden quicksand pulls everyone below the surface.

Anyway, getting too political. 

231 DAYS TILL CAPTAIN MARVEL WHOOOOO

• Like 1

Social Media is the tool of the devil and the worst thing to ever happen to society.  We'd all be better off if we just deleted it and never went back.

• Like 8

Except while cars can physically kill you if used wrong, Social media can destroy you, your ability to earn a living, your family, their ability to earn a living, sway public opinion into hysteria, etc with one tweet or post.  It's a fucking cancer that turned society into validation seeking zombies that have zero ability to think for themselves.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Let's just put one of these together before we go out of control.   

The man responsible for uncovering the old tweets is Mike Cernovich.   Google him if you want to know what a disgusting human being he is.

Note - Be civil.   You will not get a warning if you're not, you'll just get a week off. 

• Like 2

Someone, maybe one of my friends, said that it's more than just social media and smart phones have been far worse and damaging to society. I don't know. Fuck em both.

FUCK EM

• Like 1

Oh I know who dug it up, but Newbury is right.  If you're going to be ok with destroying someone and their ability to earn a living, no matter how much of an asshole you think they are and they may be, for shit they did years ago, then you're going to have to suck it up and eat it when it happens to someone on your side.  That's the danger of absolutism.  

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Except while cars can physically kill you if used wrong, Social media can destroy you, your ability to earn a living, your family, their ability to earn a living, sway public opinion into hysteria, etc with one tweet or post.  It's a fucking cancer that turned society into validation seeking zombies that have zero ability to think for themselves.

That is not a flaw with social media, that is a flaw with the people who use it.  Blaming the platform for people's vile behavior takes the blame away from the people who think it is OK to behave like this.  People choose to use these platforms like this, the platforms aren't forcing them to behave like this.  Social media cannot destroy you.  You can destroy you.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Oh, I agree with all of this. But I definitely stand by the car analogy. Today they're a useful tool which carries an obvious risk if used incorrectly, but in the early 20th century they were new technology with little regulation that divided people and caused hysteria. Because with anything new, people have always been and will forever be morons. 

But yeah, nuke social media from space. 

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

This is one of my favorite quotes.  So much more eloquent that "Don't wrestle with pigs because you will only get dirty and pigs like being in mud anyway."

Poor James Gunn.  I hope that GoTG3 will not suck. I hope they don't hire Shane Black so that he fucks things up for GoTG3 like he did for Iron Man 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just read this hal an hour ago. Fuck does it suck. On the other hand:

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

If they aren’t going to keep making Thor movies, then I nominate Taika Waititi to be the new director. 

I'm completely behind this regardless of whether or not we get more Thor movies (though I totally want more Thor movies, specifically by Waititi).

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That is not a flaw with social media, that is a flaw with the people who use it.  Blaming the platform for people's vile behavior takes the blame away from the people who think it is OK to behave like this.  People choose to use these platforms like this, the platforms aren't forcing them to behave like this.  Social media cannot destroy you.  You can destroy you.

I know you don't smoke, but this is worthy of a nice Cuban cigar! 

I'm sure that everyone has said or done things that they aren't proud of, in my twenties I was a practicing alcoholic and spent  a few years on the streets, did I say or do some horrible stuff? Of course I did,  I've also been using computers on a daily basis since 1988, have I ever broadcast some ridiculously offensive shit to the world? Of course not, you have to be a total fool to behave like that and I don't suffer fools gladly (or at all). The people that incinerate themselves with vile tweets get exactly what they earned.

• Like 1

"Mike Cernovich got me fired and it's not for supporting Mike Cernovich or someone Mike Cernovich adjacent" is something you will never live down.

Also, folks on Twitter bringing up Disney's lurid past (and present?) with racism and bigotry is not exactly helping James Gunn. So you're willing to support the machine as long as this one cog is still attached? Cool.

• Like 2

I mean it says something that Gunn is getting fired over this while Johnny Depp is getting more Pirates films after domestic abuse allegations from Amber Heard. It's less about this being the key point so much as a larger picture bearing examination every time a major event happens to warrant it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I mean it says something that Gunn is getting fired over this while Johnny Depp is getting more Pirates films after domestic abuse allegations from Amber Heard. It's less about this being the key point so much as a larger picture bearing examination every time a major event happens to warrant it.

Well, the big difference here is ANY studio can justify giving Depp work if other studios continue to give Johnny Depp work. They don't have to hit the eject button when they can assume it's all smoke and no fire. WB is putting a tentpole film with Depp only a month and some change before one with Amber Heard.

James Gunn's departure is if it's between Disney or you, it's gonna be you 99.999999999% of the time.