DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN IV - 8/18/2018

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Remember when they were trying to get the F5 back over as a killer move by having Brock beating people after hitting one?

They need to do that in NXT, except with everyone.

Except Ciampa. He always wins after his finisher: The Gargano Fuck Up.

Honestly I hated the finish of the main event. I thought it made Johnny look like a moron. It just reeked of a typical WWE "slip on a banana peel" finish where they did it to try to protect the face but it just made them look dumb instead.

• Like 4

I really like the booking of Shayna where she has a winning mentality and has a plausible advantage via coming from MMA, but people who are good at pro wrestling can still wrongfoot her if they're brave enough to take the fight to her. it's just been pitched really well to make her matches good TV you anticipate, as opposed to nobody being on Lesnar's level so why bother, only Roman gets to lose to him every few months etc etc

An underrated part of the Dream's game is all the hilarious verbal reactions he does when his opponent's on offence, he did this incredible agitated honk when EC3 suplexed him towards the end of their match

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I joked last night "HOLY SHIT! NXT SIGNED MARK HENRY!"

And the amount of people who I thought I was serious was >1

That made me happy

I could see Henry as a GM one day.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Honestly I hated the finish of the main event. I thought it made Johnny look like a moron. It just reeked of a typical WWE "slip on a banana peel" finish where they did it to try to protect the face but it just made them look dumb instead.

I half wonder if they’re cooling him off so people won’t be so pissed when he debuts on 205Live.

If they are truly going with the "dislocated knee" angle (which it was comical that Mauro was claimed that was the diagnosis 10 seconds after the match was over) that is a 6-8 week injury

Which for storyline purposes would keep him off the next couple of tapings and thus keep him away from the Wargames show.

I would be really weird if they moved him off of NXT without ever getting the title off of Ciampa so most likely they are gonna have to drag this out to the Mania Takeover show

I honestly thought that Johnny was going to drag out the setup for the last superkick or knee, run at a cowering Ciampa, stop just short of hitting it and exactly as the ref counted to 10. We'd have Ciampa's shocked and then embarrassed and then outraged facial expressions, flipping out and flailing around still handcuffed, and Gargano could smirk and raise his head - and new title - high!

Instead we get Wile E Wrestling flying off the cliff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Re Baszler and Suzuki: She's said his WK9 match against Sakuraba is her proverbial "one match you'd show a friend", she retweets gifs of him from time to time, and they do come from the same catch wrestling tree. So, I think it's reasonable to suggest any similarities--the drop down/go behind/sleeper sequence looks exactly the same, for instance--are a result of direct and shared influence both. (And that's a good thing.)

With the caveat that I haven't read any MYC spoilers, Kairi winning the title makes me really hope Shirai does well. (I don't think you'd sign her if she wasn't going to, but I don't want to assume.) A title match between them, even if it's pretty par for their specific course, could still be among the best NXT has had; and for better and worse it would probably also bring a level of fancy violence choreography, nasty strike sequences, and athletic/semi-reckless bumping that the division hasn't seen. (And in that way, finish the "please don't die" sentence Sasha/Bayley started.)

Also, Kenny, I'm a fan and that's a nice sentiment... but I'm pretty sure that's three things. (Unless he's confessing to being an immortal tax-dodger.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I honestly thought that Johnny was going to drag out the setup for the last superkick or knee, run at a cowering Ciampa, stop just short of hitting it and exactly as the ref counted to 10. We'd have Ciampa's shocked and then embarrassed and then outraged facial expressions, flipping out and flailing around still handcuffed, and Gargano could smirk and raise his head - and new title - high!

Instead we get Will E Wrestling flying off the cliff.

Exactly. It just made Johnny look like a moron. It's not like he didn't know Ciampa was close to the edge of the stage. I get the whole, "he was blinded by hate" thing but at some point all of these slip on a banana peel finishes make the face look stupid. In his book, Bob Holly said that when he was a face, the writers would always want to do cheap, roll-up finishes to keep him strong. He was like, "that just makes me look like a fucking idiot. I'd rather have a good competitive match and lose to the guy's finish b/c it's something that would knock me out and look good rather than just get rolled-up bc I took my eye off the ball."

• Like 1

Okay, I really think Dave is great, aside from his inconsistent issues regarding women, but his dismissal of Kairi (I can't bring myself to refer to her by that stupid NXT name...)/Baszler as great pissed me off. He's always been a moves/execution guy first and foremost but it really seems like it's getting worse with time. I continually find myself siding with Alvarez's opinions on things during their discussions.

I just rewatched the final moments to be sure, but it sounded to me like the crowd was turning on Gargano pretty hard before Ciampa came out for another round of posing. And why shouldn't they? Dude was winning what is (in kayfabe) the biggest match of his life and all he had to do was nothing because his opponent was giving up, literally begging to be spared, but instead he makes the dumbest decision ever and winds up losing so badly he injured himself. You know what you call someone who blows it that hard? A choke artist. A fool. A LOSER. I'd boo him too.

But it's wrestling, so instead I'm excited to see where they go with Johnny. Maybe a heel turn would do him some good?

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the show. 

I'm perfectly fine with the Johnny / Ciampa feud.  Obviously, it sucks they had to do this instead of the triple threat with Black, but for what it was, it was great.  Ciampa definitively winning the feud is the right call, and Johnny's injury (kayfabe or not) is probably pretty good for him.  We can get vignettes of him training and refocusing (kinda like they did with Bayley when she had a leg injury), supporting Candice, and, probably most importantly, moving on with his life.  Then he can start at the bottom again, Ciampa won't even mention his name, or allow anyone else to, and Johnny can organically rise back to the top for the blow-off, which doesn't necessarily need to be for the belt. 

Loved the tag team match.  Roderick was flying around for everyone.  Tyler Bate is great.  I'd be tempted to give it the full five, but I was annoyed at KOR kicking out of the kill move finisher.  At least have Roddy break it up. 

Velveteen's Biggie tribute was amazing, and I loved the "Call Me Up Vince" on his ass.  Yes, the roles were backwards for this one -- Not sure how they don't realize that no matter what Dream does he's a fan favorite.  They don't have to change too much about him, but allow his in-ring work to show just how much the crowd wants to cheer him.  EC3 -- not sure what to do with him in NXT, but I think he could actually work better on the main roster. 

Was not into Ricohet / Cole until that superkick spot.  That was cool.  So was the wild rana.  Other than that, it was kinda there. 

Also, Kairi and Shayna put on both of their's best matches in NXT to date.  Loved it.  Both of them are really, really good.  Not sure how well treated Shayna will be on the main roster, but as a big fish in a small pond in NXT she's golden.  Real curious who challenges Kairi next, but it'll be pretty cool, I think.

I have no real complaints about the show.  It was great. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Does Becky jump to number 1 if Charlotte turns on her tonight?

It is really hard to top Sting though

Plus - at least to Becky's credit in this one situation - she has been displeased that Charlotte was added to the match.

2 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

First ever NXT Hell in a Cell?

I think they could easily just use the double cage, though I have to say it isn't remotely clear to me what they're even thinking about doing for the Wargames match itself.

I suppose the logical setup is UE (Fish may be ready by then I think, especially if they use him carefully) vs Dunne/Ricochet/Lorcan/Burch - but I'm not sure that's going to be particularly hate-filled.