DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN IV - 8/18/2018

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

@FlaeBlazer while she almost assuredly watches Minoru Suzuki, Baszler was at least partially trained by Billy Robinson. Minoru Suzuki was also trained by Billy Robinson. '

They were hot for the opener and after that came back to life for big spots and finishing stretches. That's pretty normal for a WWE PPV but not for an NXT special. 

They were chanting like crazy during EC3 vs Dream, they were especially into the whole of Cole vs Ricochet, they were a little more respectful of the women's match except when they showed Ronda, and they were constantly chanting throughout the main event. I don't know, I really wonder if this is one of those things where the audio mix makes it sound very differently depending on how you watched it. I also noticed that the announcing was really loud all night and not just because of Mauro. Although Mauro was talking nonstop....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They were chanting like crazy during EC3 vs Dream, they were especially into the whole of Cole vs Ricochet, they were a little more respectful of the women's match except when they showed Ronda, and they were constantly chanting throughout the main event. I don't know, I really wonder if this is one of those things where the audio mix makes it sound very differently depending on how you watched it. I also noticed that the announcing was really loud all night and not just because of Mauro. Although Mauro was talking nonstop....

The crowd (particularly those in the upper deck a mile in the air) were taken out of the Dream-EC3 match the first 5 minutes due to the jumbotron losing the video feed. Crowd reaction was also hurt somewhat by the fact that Dream was working as the heel when the crowd was totally behind him like a face.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:38 AM, The Natural said:

Sucks for Black getting injured. I looked forward to the first multiway NXT Championship for ages with the Ciampa/Gargano rivalry and Black getting caught up in it because of what happened to him.

Feel same way having watched Ciampa vs. Gargano on this show and the similarity in stipulations. I still enjoyed it a great deal including callbacks to their history, might be my MOTN but it's the weakest of the trilogy.

Cole/Ricochet is my other contender for MOTN. That springboard moonsault to the superkick counter and the running hurricarana on Cole from apron to floor. The execution required.

I really liked Sane vs. Baszler apart from Sane's elbow getting kicked out of twice. I thought it was the best women's match in NXT this year. That or Moon/Baszler from NXT TakeOver: New Orleans.

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Now the main event. I was not excited for this match. I had thought Gargano/Ciampa peaked in NOLA and had run its course. This match proved me right. It was still a great match, don’t get me wrong but the crowd wasn’t nearly as invested as they were intended to be. The match seemed to be very similar to the Chicago match in terms of spots but drew way less emotion. People don’t care this feud anymore. They were killing finishers like nobody’s business. It was a really exciting match that I was fairly invested in up until the finish. The ending was mind-boggling but if Gargano is truly hurt as reports say and they had to change the finish on the fly, I really can’t blame them. But I have to judge them on what I saw. So many people have shit on the finish that I really don’t have to shed anymore light on it. It was a great fantastic match but it was by far their worst and I really have no interest in seeing these two wrestle again. ****1/4

The Gargano/Ciampa feud is a perfect example of diminishing returns. Each match has been worse than the last. Each match has had less interest and hype than the last. This feud has jumped the shark. I don’t want to see these guys in the same building let alone the same ring for a long time. I really hope they don’t drag this out till the next Mania Weekend.

I agree about Ciampa vs. Gargano peaking and dropping from the start at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans to now. My star ratings for the trilogy:

Gargano vs. Ciampa, NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. *****.

Ciampa vs. Gargano, NXT TakeOver: Chicago II. ****3/4.

Ciampa vs. Gargano, NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn IV. ****1/2.

An “I Quit” match with the stipulation that the loser leaves NXT would be fitting. Gargano wins & Ciampa can head to 205 live to take the title from Alexander.

This match was very, very good but hurt by the finish. I think it would have been a little better if Gargano hadn’t spent so long thinking about it. If he just hit 5 superkicks (RIP that as a finish forever) then clearly lost control and smashed the knee it would have been better.

I also think a “First Blood” stipulation would have been way better overall anyway.

3 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

An “I Quit” match with the stipulation that the loser leaves NXT would be fitting. Gargano wins & Ciampa can head to 205 live to take the title from Alexander.

Ciampa has already quit though. In NOLA, Johnny made him tap out.

In Chicago, Ciampa tapped when the ref was out.

He literally tapped tonight but obviously the stip prevented it from ending the match.

I don’t really see the point in an “I Quit” match when we already know and have been shown multiple times that Gargano can make Ciampa give up.

Just now, FlaeBlazer said:

Ciampa has already quit though. In NOLA, Johnny made him tap out.

In Chicago, Ciampa tapped when the ref was out.

He literally tapped tonight but obviously the stip prevented it from ending the match.

I don’t really see the point in an “I Quit” match when we already know that Gargano can make Ciampa give up.

No submissions. Shove a mic in his face & make him say those words. Shit, Gargano could quit after Ciampa threatens Candice. What a story THAT would be!!

Also that timekeeper fucking ATE that office chair when Ciampa was throwing stuff on the pile.

6 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Honestly, if you're going to use a "Loser leaves NXT" stipulation, and NXT is supposed to be the second brand, I think that the better option would be to use it for storyline purposes:

Regal goes to NXT and announces "there's no way to stop this war, so he has to separate the two completely. He opened negotiations, and made it clear: One of Ciampa/Gargano's contract has been sold to Raw, the other one has had their contract sold to Smackdown. They have one more match at a Takeover- likely a big stipulation- and after that they'll be on separate shows and will not cross paths again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

This match was very, very good but hurt by the finish. I think it would have been a little better if Gargano hadn’t spent so long thinking about it. If he just hit 5 superkicks (RIP that as a finish forever) then clearly lost control and smashed the knee it would have been better.

I also think a “First Blood” stipulation would have been way better overall anyway.

I get what they were trying to accomplish with the finish. It just didn't quite resonate in practice as it probably did on paper. 

The finish was the age-old moral from the Batman comics of "Never try to out-Joker The Joker". 

• Like 1

Just finished the show.

MM vs. UE was damn good though not quite the level of the their last match. I thought UE kicked out of too many of MM's finisher while not even returning the favor.

Dream vs. EC3 was perfectly solid though a little bland. Their is somethign about EC3 that just doesn't bring a a strong interest even when he is doing well. Whoever said Dream's charisma carried this is right.

I don't care much for Cole or Ricochet, but I though t this was the best either has looked so far in NXT. I'm glad the NA belt is off of Cole.

Shayna/Kairi was probably match of the night and probably no. 2 for the best women's match in WWE this year. I think the elbow drop kickout was bs, but I dug the finish. I do wonder how long Kairi's reign will be. It feels like she could lose to any of her potential next challengers be that a rematch with Shayna, a match against Bianca, or a match against the likely MYC winner.

Ciampa/Gargano was good, but definitely the weakest of their matches. I'm mixed on the finish. I like the idea of Johnny's obsession fucking things up for him, but I'm not sure if they went about it the right way.

Thought this was a good show overall.

• Like 1

In ring was fine. The story telling was terrible and where they're going doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

Why have Ricochet go over Cole? Does he need the title? Has Cole defended the title at all? Where to now for Ricochet? Is he a guy that can be the defending champ half as good as the guy chasing it? Why build up the NUMBERS GAME and have it be a non factor?

Tag title match was poorly laid out. Lot of dangerous sloppiness for little payoff with a confusing story about the tag ropes and throwing in the towel that had continuity as an adversary. The team the audience are less familiar with got jobbed out on two separate PPVs and their big finish kicked out of to a makeshift team. Hopefully the War Raiders works out.

Didn't really get the Dream EC3 stuff and really smacked of a hamfisted we need these guys on the show attempt. 

Why build up Baszler as such a dominant champ if not to either eventually turn on Rousey or see Asuka return? They've barely used Sain in any significant way. This seems odd and distracting in the context of the next MYC. Title change and the numerous finisher knockouts didn't need to happen.

Hand was forced re the main event but took pretty much all goodwill from anyone invested in the feud with a third match that didn't further the story, or make us see either guy in any new light. Cookie cutter match that deviated little from their first few. Felt like the third mankind rock PPV match in those respects. The story isnt done but they need to find a better way to further it than in the ring.

I'd love a Gladiator style storyline of Gargano being shipped off to RAW. Finding Angle a sympathetic ear but ultimately answerable to Corbin and Steph who insist he jump through hoops to get his one last crack at redemption.

Beyond that it's a rare opportunity for the main roster to outdo the NXT PPV

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

MM vs. UE was damn good though not quite the level of the their last match. I thought UE kicked out of too many of MM's finisher while not even returning the favor.

MM are feisty as hell, but they are not on UE's level - particularly Trent. I've suspected that we're building towards a Tyler Bate turn on NXTUK, & I think Trent dropping falls in slightly weak ways is building to that. 

Let's face it, Trent Seven seems like a cool dude and I have no problems with him getting a little NXT run but I don't want him on repeated Takeovers.

UE are supposed to be tough as hell to beat, which is going to be pretty important when War Raiders offence is pretty much all finishers.

I felt like Cole losing the North American title was because he is being moved up to challenge for the NXT title

There is enough blurring of the lines with UE as tweeners anyway and no one is rooting for Ciampa

Heck - it wasn't like the War Raiders did exactly a face move last night either 

• Like 1