DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN IV - 8/18/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Tomorrow's show could be a heatless wreck if tonight's anything to go by. The crowd popped for spots and the odd chant but for a Takeover crowd, they were shockingly subdued. 

P.S. Mauro is getting more insufferable, right?

39 minutes ago, Rows said:

Its fine if you think that, but he is so different skillset wise from Asuka/Bayley I'm not sure what the comparison meant, other than some banal "everything gets ruined". Personally I think he'd be more comparable to Elias, but its whatever.

I think any subtly of Dream's character will get lost on the main roster. I don't think we'd ever get a program like Dream/Aleister on the main roster, where despite losing and Aleister not taking Dream seriously, he got what he wanted when Aleister said his name.

Another example is Kevin Owens. In nxt, KO was the clearly the heel by turning on Sami, but he was the good guy in his mind because winning the title meant more money and a better life for his family. I don't think it was mentioned once since KO was called up. 

Back to Velveteen Dream, I see his character a lot like Goldust originally, using his sexuality to psych out his opponents. Thankfully, this isn't 1997 and Jerry Lawler won't be asking Velveteen if he's a queer on Raw.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Tomorrow's show could be a heatless wreck if tonight's anything to go by. The crowd popped for spots and the odd chant but for a Takeover crowd, they were shockingly subdued. 

agreed. This Takeover felt, to me, like a lot of the strings were showing. It seemed clear going in that Bate and Seven had no chance of winning, that EC3 would be his usual vacuum and Dream would struggle. Props to Shayna and Kairi for the MOTN.

• Like 1

Ciampa is great. Loved his cowardly rolling out of the ring numerous times to beat the count. Also using THE CRUTCH to prop himself up was a lovely piece of cowardice and self-referential storytelling. I really appreciated his throwing everything and everyone on Gargano following the barricade spot too. Lots of small things done exceedingly well on his part. Finish was very anticlimactic in terms of violence escalating and then that figurative slipping on a banana peel. I get that Gargano brought about his own demise and all that but it felt weak.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I used to love Make Room for Daddy on Nick at Nite when I was a kid. Their September '88-June '89 lineup was so friggin' good.

Monday - Friday
8pm Mr.Ed
8:30 The Patty Duke Show
9pm My 3 Sons
9:30 Donna Reed Show
10pm The Best of Saturday Night Live
10:30 SCTV
11pm Laugh-In
11:30 Car 54
Midnite Make Room For Daddy

• Like 3

I was there and thought it was top to bottom one of the best live shows I've ever been to. There were 2 matches taped for TV. First Was Bianca Bellaire vs Peruluzo (sp?) in a match that other than one rough spot was quite good. The other was The Bruiserweight vs the guy who won the UK tourney (sorry about being unfamiliar with names as I don't have the network) and that was a long excelent match. As for the show I thought the tag match was just amazing, the one part where the place came completely unglued was as crazy a reaction as I have ever heard. Dream-EC3 was good but the best thing about it was that the finish was perfect. When it happened I thought it was the peak and that it would be the perfect end. Ricochet-Cole was just awesome. The move where he got a running start, jumped the ropes and gave Cole a ran a to the floor was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Women's title match overdelivered significantly and was real good. Shayna is so great for someone with as little experience as she has. The main event absolutely delivered, especially given that the stip very easily could've been a big negative. I really think killing them for the finish is real unfair because with Black getting hurt they got painted into a corner. As for the crowd I thought they were lively so I don't understand how people could feel like it was a crowd at the Coliseum or The Igglo in Pittsburgh or something. Place was also completely packed.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I used to love Make Room for Daddy on Nick at Nite when I was a kid. Their September '88-June '89 lineup was so friggin' good.

Okay, that's great and all but please tell me that you know that gif was from The Dick Van Dyke Show.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Selfishly, I don't want to see anybody in nxt get called up for a while. I'm not really sure where Gargano goes from here. Maybe we find out he attacked Aleister Black, and we get a Gargano heel turn. I feel like Gargano and Ciampa are going to be forever linked together, much like Sami and KO.

• Like 2

Remember when they were trying to get the F5 back over as a killer move by having Brock beating people after hitting one?

They need to do that in NXT, except with everyone.

Except Ciampa. He always wins after his finisher: The Gargano Fuck Up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Selfishly, I don't want to see anybody in nxt get called up for a while. I'm not really sure where Gargano goes from here. Maybe we find out he attacked Aleister Black, and we get a Gargano heel turn. I feel like Gargano and Ciampa are going to be forever linked together, much like Sami and KO.

I'd want to stay in NXT as long as I could with the difference in booking/show quality between NXT and the main roster. Also the mixed fortunes for NXT wrestlers on said main roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Monday - Friday
8pm Mr.Ed
8:30 The Patty Duke Show
9pm My 3 Sons
9:30 Donna Reed Show
10pm The Best of Saturday Night Live
10:30 SCTV
11pm Laugh-In
11:30 Car 54
Midnite Make Room For Daddy

God, I can’t believe I remember this. I was 3, but I remember being puzzled as to why my Nickelodeon was suddenly all in black and white every night. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nofuture said:

So where does Ciampa go from here?  Black and Gargano are out, seems like it's too soon to trot Ridde or Lee against him, EC3 just lost and a Dream feud doesn't seem like it would work.

Black is still owed a rematch. Yeah, he's technically a heel, but as a far as fan reactions, Adam Cole is the face between he and Ciampa. Ciampa was able to get by Gargano because Gargano sunk to Ciampa's level and essentially beat himself, but how does Ciampa overcome the Undisputed Era? If it turns out Lars Sullivan was Black's attacker, perhaps Lars feels Ciampa owes him a title shot for taking Black out of the match.

I thought that Undisputed Era vs. Moustache Mountain was fantastic and the clear MOTN. It was the match with the most crowd heat. It had non-stop exciting action and great callbacks. Strong and O’Reilly are the clear tag team of the year right now. The one thing that I absolutely HATED was the double team Burning Hammer kickout. Nobody should be getting up from that. That was MM’s established super finisher and to just kick out of it was terrible. I wasn’t a fan of how TUE kicked out of Bate’s finish, Seven’s finish, and the tag team finish but TUE hits their finish once and it’s all over. It made TUE look indestructible and MM look a little weak. I would’ve went even higher if weren’t for those gripes. The second best match of their trilogy behind the NXT TV match a few weeks ago. ****1/2

EC3 vs. Velveteen Dream was decent but nothing special. This match was actually carried by Dream. He was the clearly interesting part of the match. When he was on offense, the match was pretty good. When he wasn’t, it wasn’t very good. EC3 as a babyface just doesn’t work. He’s not a very good worker. He works slow, he’s not over, and he’s extremely boring. The crowd turned on him too. The roles should’ve been reversed for this match. Both guys need a great worker to have a good match. The beginning was good, the middle was mediocre, and the finish was awesome. This felt like a decent main roster PPV match but was weak by NXT standards. ***1/4

Adam Cole vs. Ricochet was basically a WWEized PWG match. I wasn’t exactly excited for this because I’m lukewarm on Cole and I like Ricochet but not much as others do. The final matches were so PWG but they worked typical WWE style early. I really wasn’t too interested in the first 10 minutes of the match. It was decent but I don’t really remember anything from it. Then the match was off the charts from the striking sequence onwards. The superkick spot was the spot of the night. It was better executed version of the one on Ospreay in that crazy PWG six-man. I really liked Ricochet baiting Cole for the reverse rana. I loved the homage to Dragon Lee with the rana to the outside of the ring and I thought the finish was awesome with Cole trying to get the knees up but Ricochet was too fast for him. Great match. ****

Shayna Baszler vs. Kairi Sane was a fantastic match. Shayna was really compelling working on top for almost the entire match. She is such a great bully and she’s so good at tearing down the babyface. It seems like she’s been watching Minoru Suzuki tapes. Kairi’s selling was great and you really wanted her to just SURVIVE Shayna much less win. I wasn’t a fan of Shayna kicking out the double diving elbow combo. Another finisher killed tonight. She’s not Asuka, she shouldn’t be incredibly resilient. I loved the finish. When Shayna kicked the arm and put her in the clutch, I thought that was a wrap and Kairi getting the pin outta nowhere was a huge shock. Great feel-good moment. The finish gives Kairi the belt but protects Shayna for the rematch. ****1/4

Now the main event. I was not excited for this match. I had thought Gargano/Ciampa peaked in NOLA and had run its course. This match proved me right. It was still a great match, don’t get me wrong but the crowd wasn’t nearly as invested as they were intended to be. The match seemed to be very similar to the Chicago match in terms of spots but drew way less emotion. People don’t care this feud anymore. They were killing finishers like nobody’s business. It was a really exciting match that I was fairly invested in up until the finish. The ending was mind-boggling but if Gargano is truly hurt as reports say and they had to change the finish on the fly, I really can’t blame them. But I have to judge them on what I saw. So many people have shit on the finish that I really don’t have to shed anymore light on it. It was a great fantastic match but it was by far their worst and I really have no interest in seeing these two wrestle again. ****1/4

The Gargano/Ciampa feud is a perfect example of diminishing returns. Each match has been worse than the last. Each match has had less interest and hype than the last. This feud has jumped the shark. I don’t want to see these guys in the same building let alone the same ring for a long time. I really hope they don’t drag this out till the next Mania Weekend.

The show as a whole was fantastic. Not the best TakeOver though. The title is undisputedly held by NOLA. It’s definitely in the top 5 of TakeOvers though. The crowd was surprisingly weak for an NXT TakeOver show and a Brooklyn show at that. And as @Oyaji said, that spells disaster for SummerSlam. My biggest critique of the show is that for some reason, they were killing finishers all over the place. It really needs to be toned down.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

So where does Ciampa go from here?  Black and Gargano are out, seems like it's too soon to trot Ridde or Lee against him, EC3 just lost and a Dream feud doesn't seem like it would work.

Ciampa loses the belt to Candace which leads to an all-too-long storyline about Johnny's emasculation over his wife finishing what he couldn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@FlaeBlazer while she almost assuredly watches Minoru Suzuki, Baszler was at least partially trained by Billy Robinson. MiSu was also trained by Billy Robinson.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I can't believe some of you think the crowd was weak. Are your speakers working? They were pretty hot from the sounds of it.

They were hot for the opener and after that came back to life for big spots and finishing stretches. That's pretty normal for a WWE PPV but not for an NXT special.