DVDVR Message Board

NFL PRESEASON 2018

RIPPA

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Tyrod - I feel like only Hue Jackson would insert his starting QB back into a preseason game after they had an injury scare

Wasn't he the same guy who kept an injured guy in a preseason game as punishment? 

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Wasn't he the same guy who kept an injured guy in a preseason game as punishment? 

It's also the guy who made a player play all of a preseason game for not telling the team he got pulled over by cops and arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Which will likely mean the NFL cant suspend him or fine him because it would be viewed as double jeopardy.

2 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

It's also the guy who made a player play all of a preseason game for not telling the team he got pulled over by cops and arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Which will likely mean the NFL cant suspend him or fine him because it would be viewed as double jeopardy.

What about double secret probation?

• Haha 1

Jags Marqise Lee blew out his knee after making a catch. All the reports are pretty much saying he is done for the year

Lee was injured when he was tackled by Atlanta safety Damontae Kazee midway through the first quarter after catching a pass in the middle of the field. Lee's left knee buckled immediately, and he grabbed it with both hands. Kazee was penalized on the play for lowering his helmet to initiate contact, and replays showed his helmet made contact with Lee's knee.

Jalen Ramsey is blaming the new helmet rule

Even though Kazee was penalized for the hit, Lee's teammates were not angry at the second-year player out of San Diego State. Rather, some blamed the NFL's recent rule changes.

"You can't be mad at 27 [Kazee]," cornerback Jalen Ramsey said. "You have to be mad at the NFL; not mad at them, but that is how the rule is. People are scared to tackle normal because I guess they don't want to do helmet-to-helmet and get flagged. ... Game-changing stuff could happen. You don't really want to blame anyone, but you feel bad for him.

"I don't know, man, that's just tough to see it happen to one of my teammates, period, but you can't really blame 27."

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jags Marqise Lee blew out his knee after making a catch. All the reports are pretty much saying he is done for the year

Jalen Ramsey is blaming the new helmet rule

"People are scared to tackle normal"

The fact that Jalen Ramsey thinks that tackle wasn't a normal tackle shows how messed up the thinking in the NFL is.  The guy went for Lee's legs, hit with his shoulder and wrapped up.  That was a perfect tackle with an unfortunate outcome.  No way that should have been a penalty under the new rules.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Well taking into account his QB comments, Ramsey might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. . . .

The tackle comment is pretty ridiculous, but I thought he was more right than wrong when talking about quarterbacks.  The only one I thought he was 100% wrong about was Blake Bortles, but he's not really allowed to talk shit about him.

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

"People are scared to tackle normal"

The fact that Jalen Ramsey thinks that tackle wasn't a normal tackle shows how messed up the thinking in the NFL is.  The guy went for Lee's legs, hit with his shoulder and wrapped up.  That was a perfect tackle with an unfortunate outcome.  No way that should have been a penalty under the new rules.  

I'm pretty positive he wasn't saying it should've been a penalty, but that the reason he hit the knees was to avoid a helmet to helmet or leading with the helmet, etc, flag.

8 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I got that, but how hard is it to work out how to hit the guy high without leading with your goddamned face? 

Very.  Football is taught from the pee wee level to basically keep your head up and see what you hit, which pretty much means "put your facemask where you want to hit."  Your head is centrally located, and if you hit a guy and wrap up you'll hit him head first.  Otherwise, your balance is off to one side or the other, and a big strong guy can just run through that tackle. 

I remember my high school football coach telling us that our facemask is our most important piece of equipment.  His philosophy was that everything from catching, blocking, and tackling was pretty much impossible if you can't see what you are doing.  Quarterbacks were taught to throw the ball at a receiver's face.  I played fullback and I was taught to block by putting your facemask directly between a linebacker's numbers.  In a sport where the low man wins, being able to see and hit someone in the numbers is a great way to judge if you are the low man.  Tackling is not easy, especially when you teach people how to tackle one way for over 100 years, and decide over the summer that what has been taught will be a penalty.  These people are moving at speeds that we can't fathom, expecting them to adjust at the last second is a ridiculous request.  If you take your head off of the center line, odds are you are going to miss that tackle.  How do you expect people to react fast enough to make the play, wait until he's not defenseless, don't hit him in the head, and tackle him in a way where your head doesn't make the first contact, without throwing your weight into the guy's legs?  

I'm pretty clearly Rugby biased, which has its own problems with injuries, including head injuries but if a tackler led the way some American football players do, they'd hurt themselves worse. 

I'm not one of those people who get on their high horses about Rugby players not wearing the same kind of protection as American football players, but some of these head-first shots are really difficult to watch. I take your point that it starts very young, and would take a sea change in coaching strategies. However, the move to penalise leading with the head isn't exactly a new thing, and there are sports in which players make that sort of tackle without using their heads. 

7 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I'm pretty clearly Rugby biased, which has its own problems with injuries, including head injuries but if a tackler led the way some American football players do, they'd hurt themselves worse. 

I'm not one of those people who get on their high horses about Rugby players not wearing the same kind of protection as American football players, but some of these head-first shots are really difficult to watch. I take your point that it starts very young, and would take a sea change in coaching strategies. However, the move to penalise leading with the head isn't exactly a new thing, and there are sports in which players make that sort of tackle without using their heads. 

I think the difference is that American football is played in space when rugby is played in much tighter confines.  Making an open field tackle on a bang-bang type play is much more difficult to make than disengaging from a block and dragging a guy down as he tries to squeeze through a hole.  When the World Cup was going on I was talking to someone about the reaction time of goalies, and how I didn't understand how a human being could react that quickly.  He tried to explain to me how they try to play the odds and guess where the ball is most likely to go based on where the ball is kicked. He then tried to compare it to how a safety judges when to go after a ball, and I disagreed.  A safety (in a deep zone)goes where the ball is, there shouldn't be any guessing.  When a safety guesses, that's when he gets beat.  When the ball is in the air, you run as fast as you can to either break up the pass or try to separate the receiver from the ball. Once the ball is caught, all bets are off.  You are running full speed from across the field, and the receiver can legitimately go anywhere.  The entire position was designed to discourage passing over the middle because it is damn near impossible to defend a deep pass once the ball is caught.  A massive man with sprinter speed is running at top speed, and has beaten his man, how do you stop him from scoring?  

Has there been a single head-first penalty been called on an offensive player?  Are they calling these penalties on pulling guards, or just in run blocking in general?  The original concussion research paper that came out, the one they made the Will Smith movie about, it said that the injuries aren't really coming from individual hits as much as they are coming from the thousands of little hits.  Why are those not being addressed?  

Because if they did that, it would be admitting that football itself is the problem, not the dangerous hits. Probably would open up the lawsuit pandoras bpx they have been desperately trying to keep shut. How long has the league known about the problem? Probably much longer than we think. Wouldn't surprise me if it was like tobacco companies. . .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Because if they did that, it would be admitting that football itself is the problem, not the dangerous hits. Probably would open up the lawsuit pandoras bpx they have been desperately trying to keep shut. How long has the league known about the problem? Probably much longer than we think. Wouldn't surprise me if it was like tobacco companies. . .

The amount of people they've convinced they didn't know that head injuries were bad is troubling to me.  They knew, then again we all knew, that head trauma is a problem.  They aren't in this position because they didn't know, they are here because they constantly lied about it.  

• Like 1

Yeah. I was taught on offensive line to put my hands right under their pads and my facemask on the numbers between my hands and drive them back.

On defense, you get the head across the body, put your helmet on the ball, wrap up and drive your legs.

You didn't necessarily hit head first, but you also didn't necessarily not hit head first. Along as you kept your head up you were fine.

Now the NFL has long had a problem with fundamental tackling, both because guys were so good they didn't have to learn how to do it right and because the game moves too damn fast to execute thing exactly right. Now these rules make it even harder, and dive at the knees is becoming a much better decision than it used to be (you generally are taught to go at the body not the legs because it's harder to move your entire upper body out of the way)

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Word is Kirk Cousins turned down $90M guaranteed from the Jets to sign with Minnesota. 

On one hand, Jesus that's a lot of money.

On the other, he got $84 million guaranteed while getting to play on a contender and a team that isn't the in the Jets/Browns/etc tier.

• Like 4