DVDVR Message Board

NFL PRESEASON 2018

RIPPA

Players at the same playing position in the same draft(s) who came off the board later:

2012: Doug Martin

2012: Russell Wilson

2013: Jamie Collins

2014: Kyle Fuller

2014: (drafting Wilson in '12 probably invalidates the need to pick a QB, but...Teddy Bridgewater was right there and at least showed promise before the catastrophic knee injury. Flip this to whatever you like instead, trade the pick, etc.)

2015: Malcom Brown

2015: Donovan Smith

2016: Michael Thomas (lots of other WR bombs in that class, though)

So yeah, it's exactly that bad.

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Yeah, it was Cam's fault. Not that Ted Ginn couldn't catch a cold, or Benjamin couldn't stay healthy. Great call....

They were significantly better, at least by win-loss record, without Benjamin.

• Like 1

Someone will need to capture on the replay this segment on NFL Network where Steve Smith Sr and Steve Mariucci were talking

SSS: Mooch - who was the QB you had in Detroit? Jim McMahon?

Mooch: No he was the back up. Joey Galloway

SSS: Great Dude. No, the dude who went to Rutgers?

Mooch: Mike McMahon

SSS: I played with him in the Blue/Gray Game. He sucked!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Browns fan watching Hard Knocks Thoughts...

Hue Jackson seems like a decent, likable man, who handled the loss of his brother and mother with as much dignity as you can expect.  He's someone I wish all the success in the world, I just don't expect any success based on his past performances.

Jarvis Landry and his speech were the highlights of the episode, except that "bless him" quote that was clever the first time, amusing the second time, and annoying as fuck the remaining 384r3897498475847549088 times.

Baker Mayfield getting up to sing and Hue Jackson telling him, "just start, they'll join in," and then singing a song no one in the room knew the words to, was hilarious.

Back to Hue Jackson for a second.  The coaching meeting where he was explaining to his assistant coaches that he understands where they are coming from because he used to be in their shoes, but he can't do that as the head coach is the exact reason he's a great offensive coordinator and a bad head coach.  

Did I hear Willie McGinest right when he asked Myles Garrett if he was still working with Bruce Smith?  I'm not saying I got aroused when I heard that, but I'm not saying I didn't.

Things I want to see more of...

This team has a really surprising amount of skill position talent, and other than Jarvis Landry and seeing Nick Chubb at the airport, we don't really see any of it.  I'd like to see more David Njoku, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson, and hopefully, we eventually see Josh Gordon.  

That one dude who is giving financial/social media advice, and all the other dudes staring at him like he's trying to get them to sign up for a pyramid scheme. 

Carlos turned himself into someone who does the same thing Duke and I honestly can't tell you which is going to be the better man because of who is throwing to them and who is on the o-line. 

I'm not a Browns fan. I'm not a Bills fan. I want to see those teams be good though. The Browns under damn near any other GM would have been set to run their division and instead everyone gets traded away or the draft picks they get are whatever. It's a disgrace.

I forgot who was saying or where it was said, but someone, maybe Le Batard, talked about how the talent level at GM in the NFL is beyond poor. There's enough knowledge out there that there shouldn't be any excuse for how a team like the Browns or the Bills or even the Colts could have the same problems for as long as they've had them. Someone on that same radio show talked about how he worked for Dallas and he was going to join this meeting with Jerry Jones. The guy is like, holy shit, I better not say anything and these guys putting this team together have to know way more that me. Then the guy goes into the meeting and is surprised at basically how dumb it is. 

And if the Cowboys are like that, then jesus, I can't imagine what a clown show the Browns front office meetings are.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And if the Cowboys are like that, then jesus, I can't imagine what a clown show the Browns front office meetings are.

That was Dominique Foxworth on the LeBatard show, and I agree 100% with the sentiment.  In all of the major sports, management matters the most and the least in football.  If you have the right players, you don't have to be a genius to win.  Picking those players is about as much of a skill as winning the lottery.  It is why good teams like the Patriots trade down so often, it's just buying more lotto tickets to increase the odds of hitting the jackpot.  I honestly think that a coach who knows how to maximize their players talent and not try to fit square pegs in round holes is the most important thing you can have.  Anytime I hear that a coach doesn't think a player fits his system, I immediately think that the coach is doomed.  

What in the world makes you believe that the Cowboys are any smarter than the Browns?  The Cowboys have been average at best since Jerry took the power from Jimmy Johnson.  The Browns' biggest problem is that they haven't had a decent quarterback since Bernie Kosar.  Seriously, if they wouldn't have lucked into the undrafted Tony Romo is there any reason to believe that the Cowboys would have been anything but bad over most of the last 20 years.  I'll go to my grave thinking Tony Romo should be a hall of fame quarterback, but the Cowboys couldn't put a team around him that was worth a damn.  I've said it multiple times, but if you switched Tony Romo with Eli Manning, out opinions of them would be much different.  Tony Romo is better in every single way, but Eli's almost always had a supporting cast, Romo did not.   The Cowboys are not a well-run franchise and haven't been in a long ass time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Cowboys have at least had more success than the Browns in the last, shit, since the Browns were brought back to the NFL. The Browns fucking suck. They're so bad you can say the following phrase and have it not be hyperbolic in any way:

THE BROWNS HAVEN'T WON A GAME IN Y E A R S!

Thank you for naming the guest on Lebatard's show too. Holy shit, I was racking my brain trying to think of who it was.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Cowboys have at least had more success than the Browns in the last, shit, since the Browns were brought back to the NFL. The Browns fucking suck. They're so bad you can say the following phrase and have it not be hyperbolic in any way:

THE BROWNS HAVEN'T WON A GAME IN Y E A R S!

Thank you for naming the guest on Lebatard's show too. Holy shit, I was racking my brain trying to think of who it was.

I'm not talking about the results...thanks for kicking me in the nuts by the way...I'm talking about the thought process that goes into their decisions.  I don't think the Cowboys are any smarter than the Browns, I think they lucked into players that made a difference.  Do you think they had some sort of knowledge the rest of the NFL had when they picked up Tony Romo as an undrafted free agent?  If they did, why didn't they draft him?  The only team that I thought was dumb enough to draft Johnny Manziel...other than the Browns...was the Dallas Cowboys.  There is not a single thing about Johnny Manziel that ever made me believe he'd be a successful NFL quarterback.  He was a great college quarterback, who doesn't have a single NFL level skill.  The Browns are neither smart nor lucky.  They never stumble onto great players, but that doesn't mean that the Cowboys who have stumbled upon franchise players are smart.

Besides redneck hunches about Johnny Nerf Football, I bet Jerry is a big old pussy when it comes to actually having to draft a quarterback in the first round. He has no fucking clue what he is doing. Fortunately for him, he has mostly avoided that scenario. They certainly should've taken a flier on one when they were at the mercy of Parcells and his little project stint with the team. It's great that he got the team pointed back in the right direction but it also prevented them from drafting Aaron Rodgers because Parcells needed to win now with spry old Drew Bledsoe. To be fair, without the sheer coincidence of (Parcells apprentice) Sean Payton having the Eastern Illinois connection with Tony Romo, Jerry would've finally been forced to go on a Browns-like run of drafting non-answers at the QB position.

• Like 1

Might as well share this in here, but this is a work in progress. My cousin is turning 40 and is a huge Bills fan. I'm making a magnetic bottle opener for him. A took some red oak, cut it to size, mitered the corners, took my router and a roundover but to round the edges, and wood burned the Bills logo at the bottle of the board. I'll be installing a bar style bottle opener at the top and I'm going to embed a magnet on the reverse side. When you crack open a bottle, the cap will catch onto the front because of the magnet on the back.

o99hSrN.jpg

• Like 7

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton passed on the opportunity to respond to Bills wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin in the days leading up to Thursday’s preseason game between the teams, but he took his chance to do so during pregame warmups.

Benjamin wasn’t as willing to listen. Newton approached his former teammate while Benjamin was chatting with Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis, who “walked away to allow them the opportunity to talk things out.” As captured on video by Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer, Benjamin showed little interest in listening to what Newton had to say and said after the game that he didn’t know what Newton was trying to say.

“I wasn’t even trying to listen,” Benjamin said, via the Panthers website.

Benjamin said he’s “moving on” after saying in a recent interview that he didn’t feel a good fit with the Panthers and that he would have had more success “if you would’ve put me with any other quarterback.” Newton, who said he wouldn’t go back and forth with Benjamin in his only public response, didn’t talk to reporters after the game.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Might as well share this in here, but this is a work in progress. My cousin is turning 40 and is a huge Bills fan. I'm making a magnetic bottle opener for him. A took some red oak, cut it to size, mitered the corners, took my router and a roundover but to round the edges, and wood burned the Bills logo at the bottle of the board. I'll be installing a bar style bottle opener at the top and I'm going to embed a magnet on the reverse side. When you crack open a bottle, the cap will catch onto the front because of the magnet on the back.

Looks nice but I don't see anyway that will make for a great flaming table spot in the home opener ?

• Thanks 1