DVDVR Message Board

¡EL IDOLO FENOMENAL! - SDL - 7/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

If you're gonna have a top prospect lose to the champ in a non-title match on tv, that was a nearly perfect way to lay it out. You can, without any real need to put on heel glasses, see an argument that he essentially dominated, and tapped quickly because there wasn't really anything additional to be gained, and a lot to be lost. He'd made the point that he wasn't going to be outclassed at the top level; and having made it, it's crucial not to get yourself hurt, especially with a need for a #1 contender opening up. Certainly winning would have helped his argument there, but he'd probably have to wrestle again to earn it anyway. (See the previous night's show.)

1 hour ago, Rick said:

where was that Randy Orton hiding? I can do without his control segments in matches but as a character killer Orton is welcome.  Can't remember the last time I cringed watching a beat down before.

I gotta admit that watching Randy carelessly toss around the Bollywood Boyz during the Jinder feud was fun in a cringeworthy way. Otherwise, the best thing Randy has ever done were the RNN updates.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I gotta admit. Watching Randy carelessly toss around the Bollywood Boyz was fun in a crigeworthy away. Otherwise, the best thing Randy has ever done were the RNN updates.

I'd add Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley from Backlash 2004, Orton vs. Christian series from 2011 and Mark Henry winning the World Heavyweight Championship from him that year.

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I gotta admit that watching Randy carelessly toss around the Bollywood Boyz during the Jinder feud was fun in a crigeworthy way. Otherwise, the best thing Randy has ever done were the RNN updates.

There was a brief moment in 2009? Orton was booting peoples heads off culminating in Vince taking the stiffest boot to the head I've ever seen where I thought he could have been the next big thing in wrestling, then the HHH feud happened and it killed him dead, again. For all of his accomplishments and longevity, he's never really fulfilled his potential. The ultimate stat wrestler. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Rick said:

There was a brief moment in 2009? Orton was booting peoples heads off culminating in Vince taking the stiffest boot to the head I've ever seen where I thought he could have been the next big thing in wrestling, then the HHH feud happened and it killed him dead, again.

He also went straight from killing Vince to the "I have IED" promo, lawyering up, and getting trashed by Shane's Tae Bo.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Yeah, I was going to say her accent changed mid-sentence and it was driving me nuts.

That ear spot was hard to watch, definitely. I'm wondering if we're ever going to hear the solution to Orton's question, "DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY?" I think we all do wanna know why.

Isn't it just going to be about how Hardy interrupted him on that first post-draft Smackdown and stole his match and disrespected him?!

16 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I thought the answer was going to be because he is a liar. Yeah, a liar. He'll tear your mind out. He'll burn your soul. 

If Randall had 1/6 the intensity of early 90s Rollins he'd be a much bigger star than he is.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

There was a brief moment in 2009? Orton was booting peoples heads off culminating in Vince taking the stiffest boot to the head I've ever seen where I thought he could have been the next big thing in wrestling, then the HHH feud happened and it killed him dead, again. For all of his accomplishments and longevity, he's never really fulfilled his potential. The ultimate stat wrestler. 

Considering one of Triple H's stated goals with Evolution was getting Orton over as the next big player, it's bizarre how every feud the two have had has set Orton back five steps

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Considering one of Triple H's stated goals with Evolution was getting Orton over as the next big player, it's bizarre how every feud the two have had has set Orton back five steps

Presumably, this same company is also trying to get Roman Reigns over right now.

I like Orton's work more than most, so I'm excited to see him slip back into a top spot. There are a few fresh feuds for him right now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Didn't care for Almas losing like he did but otherwise this was a good episode.

I didn't mind it at all.  Almas looked strong through the whole match, had him setup for the hammerlock DDT and just got caught.  Sets up perfectly for an eventual PPV rematch down the line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

I thought the answer was going to be because he is a liar. Yeah, a liar. He'll tear your mind out. He'll burn your soul. 

That's all I could think of when Randy was yelling, "Do you want to know why?. 

If anybody should be tying in Henry to their promos, it's obviously Seth Rollins. Next Monday, Rollins should kick off Raw telling us there's going to be a tv party tonight, alright.

21 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I mean hell, the WWE has Raymond Rougeau on the payroll. Nakamura the All American Boy. Nut shotting guys one at a time. 

Tell all the girls, Shinsuke's on his way. Hey!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CSC said:

I didn't mind it at all.  Almas looked strong through the whole match, had him setup for the hammerlock DDT and just got caught.  Sets up perfectly for an eventual PPV rematch down the line. 

I just don't see how a quick tap to a move AJ rarely puts anyone away with doesn't hurt just a pinch for a guy with no big notable victories yet.

I had no idea Almas would be facing AJ until his theme hit and damn did I lose my mind.  Loved the match and while it's obvious they have better matches in them it was still really good.  Also love that Almas did the "miss the knee and spill to the outside" spot that Ultimo Guerrero does.  I saw that as a shoutout of sorts to those paying attention.

Rest of the show was really good.  I haven't seen the rest of the main event but am glad that Randy's back to being full-blown dickhead heel.  That to me has always been the best kind of Orton.  And I still have fond memories of when he would go on a punting spree mainly due to his crazed mannerisms.  Just something about it made me root big-time for him to win against HHH but of course that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I just don't see how a quick tap to a move AJ rarely puts anyone away with doesn't hurt just a pinch for a guy with no big notable victories yet.

Calf crusher and the Styles Clash are super-finishers for Styles.  It's really, really rare for someone to break out, so AJ busting that out showed he got lucky because Almas essentially controlled the match and had cut him off from a bunch of other things, so he had to pull this out from deep in his bag of tricks. 

Super quick application after a rookie mistake means Almas pledges in Tappa Tappa Tappa.   And as was said earlier, now that AJ's played this card, when they meet again down the line, Almas should have an answer for it. 

The best to Orton's ever done was catching Rey with the RKO off a springboard during a Rey vs Finlay match in 2006. The timing was incredible, his calming walking away without even looking back to see if Finlay got the pin, it was just perfect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The best to Orton's ever done was catching Rey with the RKO off a springboard during a Rey vs Finlay match in 2006. The timing was incredible, his calming walking away without even looking back to see if Finlay got the pin, it was just perfect.

• Like 2