DVDVR Message Board

¡EL IDOLO FENOMENAL! - SDL - 7/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to ¡EL IDOLO FENOMENAL! - SDL - 7/17/2018

Not a bad show. Bryan and Miz will always be awesome. I'd like to see Styles and Almas get more time but it was a good match.   Becky's winning streak continued.  Orton as a heel is the most tolerable Orton. 

It looks like the Smackdown side of the SummerSlam card is shaping up nicely.   

• Like 1

That was just gross. I definitely covered the screen with my hand when that went down, so kudos. Orton motivated as a heel? Amazing! It's like he hasn't tweeted that out before...

On the other hand if Finlay comes out, and you're a wrestler he's coming towards, you run. It's simple math. 

Sadly that was all I caught tonight, how was the opener? 

Sadly, there was no Escape Plan for Dillinger. Joe/AJ at Summerslam would go a long way to make up for the Raw side of things. 

I enjoyed Kofi/Young and loved the finish. It's nice to see Sanity looking strong. 

I wasn't hating the Miz segment until he goes into his fake crazy shouting and bug eyes routine and it feels like something my high school buddies and I would have done in our backyard wrestling fed. Real crazy doesn't have to shout and be bug-eyed. Calm and well spoken is always much scarier than someone ranting and raving.

US Champion Nakamura could be a lot of fun. I want more of him professing his love of America and to start carrying tiny American flags ala the Rougeaus.

I have a bad feeling Rusev Day is getting split up. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was just gross. I definitely covered the screen with my hand when that went down, so kudos. Orton motivated as a heel? Amazing! It's like he hasn't tweeted that out before...

On the other hand if Finlay comes out, and you're a wrestler he's coming towards, you run. It's simple math. 

Sadly that was all I caught tonight, how was the opener? 

It was a good match. The ending was a little abrupt, but it was still a good showcase while not doing all they can do.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No love for a TRAAAAAAAAAAASHman or a Birds of Prey reference? Damn. I love the New Day.

Who was on the picture they were slapping for good luck while exiting the locker room?

That thing with the ear. Wow, what did Jeff do to piss off Randy like that. Also plenty of Indy guys have those stupid piercings. How has no one thought to do that yet or with a piercing in general? Of course now it's gonna be a spot that just gets a 2 count on the indy's. 

Maybe Randy was watching Airheads recently.

• Like 1

Didn't care for Almas losing like he did but otherwise this was a good episode. AJ/Almas was good. I enjoyed Kofi/Young. I like Becky being set up as Carmella's next challenger. It was nice to see a Truth/Tye sketch finally make it to the main show. Nakamura/Jeff was neat. Orton's post match attack was good and Orton seemed in rare motivated form.

I'm pleased they are moving forward with Miz/Bryan finally.

32 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Who was on the picture they were slapping for good luck while exiting the locker room?

It's the New Day's butler. I forget his name.

You could tell Orton was being pretty careful not to actually rip Jeff's ear. He twisted the lobe as his finger was in the piercing to make it look worse. Still, nasty stuff.

Lana has got to make a choice with her accent. Either stick with the fake Russian dialect or use her actual voice. She kept jumping back and forth every few words. I still get caught off-guard by the Southern tone her natural speaking has, which I shouldn't as I know she has Florida roots.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

You could tell Orton was being pretty careful not to actually rip Jeff's ear. He twisted the lobe as his finger was in the piercing to make it look worse. Still, nasty stuff.

Lana has got to make a choice with her accent. Either stick with the fake Russian dialect or use her actual voice. She kept jumping back and forth every few words. I still get caught off-guard by the Southern tone her natural speaking has, which I shouldn't as I know she has Florida roots.

Yeah, I was going to say her accent changed mid-sentence and it was driving me nuts.

That ear spot was hard to watch, definitely. I'm wondering if we're ever going to hear the solution to Orton's question, "DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY?" I think we all do wanna know why.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

US Champion Nakamura could be a lot of fun. I want more of him professing his love of America and to start carrying tiny American flags ala the Rougeaus.

Cue terrible flashback:

03-12.jpg

• Sad 1

If you're gonna have a top prospect lose to the champ in a non-title match on tv, that was a nearly perfect way to lay it out. You can, without any real need to put on heel glasses, see an argument that he essentially dominated, and tapped quickly because there wasn't really anything additional to be gained, and a lot to be lost. He'd made the point that he wasn't going to be outclassed at the top level; and having made it, it's crucial not to get yourself hurt, especially with a need for a #1 contender opening up. Certainly winning would have helped his argument there, but he'd probably have to wrestle again to earn it anyway. (See the previous night's show.)