DVDVR Message Board

SLAMMIVERSARY XIV

https://www.f4wonline.com/tna-news/rich-swann-impact-wrestlings-slammiversary-due-concussion-262191

Rich Swann off Impact Wrestling's Slammiversary due to concussion

Rich Swann is officially off Sunday's Impact Wrestling Slammiversary XVI pay-per-view due to a concussion he suffered when working at an MLW event in Long Island, NY, Thursday night.

In a tag team match between Swann and ACH vs. Teddy Hart and Davey Boy Smith Jr., Swann hit his head on the guardrail badly during a spot. He was hospitalized and released that night, and Impact management was in contact with him immediately after.

For Slammiversary, Swann was booked for a potential show-stealer in a four-way that also includes Rey Fenix, Johnny Impact, and Taiji Ishimori. (Ishimori will also be working this week's TV tapings as he's not booked for the NJPW G1 tour.) 

As of this writing, Swann hasn't posted anything about the injury or his immediate future bookings nor has Impact tweeted about Swann being pulled from the match.

Whoa, someone got hurt in a Teddy Hart match? What are the odds...

Stoked for this show, maybe more than I thought I'd be. Allie/Tessa and the street fight are the matches I'm most excited about but any match could steal the show. Should be an interesting night.

• Like 1

That was a really enjoyable ppv. I'm pleasantly surprised Aries won. I like Moose, but Aries is the right guy for Impact to be built around. I think Moose eventually does win the title, but now would have been too soon. 

I hope Matt Sydal is ok. The botched SSP was scary looking.

I'm glad the LAX/OGz feud is continuing. I wasn't ready for it to end after one match.

• Like 4

Real good show overall with the last few matches great. Opener was a fun spotfest 4 way, good to have Johnny and Taiji back. Thought Allie/Tessa was perfect, both girls looked great, they got a good amount of time, and Tessa got a big win. Edwards/Dreamer was ok but a little disappointing. Expected a little bit more especially after they tease a flaming table spot but a nice conclusion that I guess puts an end to Psycho Eddie. Who knew the House of Hardcore match would be the tame hardcore match compared to what followed. Cage/Sydal was about as perfect as could be, with Cage's victory being inevitable. The initial Drillclaw attempt countered into a rana by Sydal was aces, loved that.

Thought Su/Madison was very good while it lasted but disappointingly short considering the long buildup. Would have like to have seen more from them. Su has a definite aura and her matches feel special. I do wonder if that's the end of this Madison run or not. the 5150 street fight was wild and exactly what it should've been. Nonstop pace and pure violence all the way, great stuff. Then Pentagon/Sami was even more insane, obviously the ending was never in doubt but they still did a great job with trying to make it seem that way with the powder/ref spot. They definitely lived up to their build up. The escalation of blood from Edwards to Hernandez to Callihan/Pentagon was awesome.

Aries/Moose was a very good big time main event with a big title fight feel. Moose pressing Aries off the ramp into the crowd was crazy. I figured Aries had to retain being his first defense but shocked to see him do it clean, that was cool. Very interested to see where everyone goes from here.

Results for anyone who missed:

*Johnny Impact def. Fenix, Petey Williams, & Taiji Ishimori (11:52) with Starship Pain on Fenix

*Tessa Blanchard def. Allie (11:00) after the Hammerlock DDT

*Eddie Edwards def. Tommy Dreamer (11:14) in a House of Hardcore Rules Match after a steel chair assisted Boston Knee Party. After the match, Eddie apologizes to Tommy. Alisha comes out to encourage a handshake. Eddie and Tommy shake hands with Tommy passing the kendo stick to Eddie.

*Brian Cage def. Matt Sydal (9:50) after the Drillclaw to WIN the X Division Championship.

*Su Yung(c) (w/ the Undead Bridesmaids) def. Madison Rayne (6:52) via The Purge submission to RETAIN the knockouts championship. After the match, Su dumped Madison into a casket.

*LAX(c) (Ortiz & Santana w/ Konnan) def. The OGz (Homicide & Hernandez w/ King) (13:38) in a 5150 Street Fight when Santana pinned Homicide with a frog splash on thumbtacks to RETAIN the tag team championships. After the match, the OGz attack LAX, spraypaint OG on the titles and steal the gold.

*Pentagon Jr. def. Sami Callihan (18:20) after the Fear Factor in a No DQ Mask vs. Hair match. After the match, oVe attacked Pentagon allowing Sami to run away while Pentagon fought off oVe. Fenix brought Sami back with security. Security held down oVe while Fenix held Sami as Pentagon shaved his head.

*It is announced that Impact will return to PPV with Bound for Glory on October 14 from the Melrose Ballroom in New York City.

*Austin Aries(c) def. Moose (15:51) after the Brainbuster to RETAIN the Impact Worlds Championship

• Like 3

A Great PPV from top to bottom that was worth the $. Loved that Sami and Pentagon broke out the Whitmer/Jacobs Spike spot. Will post more about the show later since I might as well watch the replay to hear some of the matches with commentary since I had 2 buddies over and missed out on Callis' commentary. 

• Like 3

A little surprised at some of the glowing praise (Tessa vs Allie was apparently the best North American women's match this year? better than Asuka vs Charlotte??) but it was a solid show with virtually no weak spots, well worth watching. Glad the Toronto crowd came off well, and glad Impact is doing their best to take advantage of WWE dropping the ball lately.  I'm having trouble choosing between like 5 matches as MOTN.

• Like 4

There is a lot of talking about Madison Rayne being in the Mae Young Classic - so it makes sense if her TNA deal is up.

I am just confused about Su Yung's next challenger. I mean it clearly seems like it should be Tessa Blanchard but are they are going to really run heel vs. heel?

I am kind of surprised that they haven't tried to bring in Tenille Dashwood.  That would be a good temporary replacement until Rosemary gets healthy.  I would hope she can be back by the time the next PPV is but maybe not.   Can't really go back to Allie now.  They brought a couple of other new women but none are legit title contenders.

• Like 1

Surprised they did not go with Penta-Sami as the main event, it had a much better buildup than Aries-Moose.

Nice to see Callis getting a chance to book a big time promotion. He used to book locally, and put on some good stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I am kind of surprised that they haven't tried to bring in Tenille Dashwood.  That would be a good temporary replacement until Rosemary gets healthy.  I would hope she can be back by the time the next PPV is but maybe not.   Can't really go back to Allie now.  They brought a couple of other new women but none are legit title contenders.

In the meantime, I'd go with building up Allie's mandatory rematch. It's good that Impact is bringing in Scarlett Bordeaux and I would try to bring in Taeler Hendrix as well.

• Like 2

The last two matches were seriously great. Everything else was fun and well put together in terms of making it matter through smart booking. It only took tna how many years? They had me emotionally invested in a Tommy Dreamer match in 2018. Even if the execution of some of the matches left something to be desired, everything made sense. Really good stuff and I'll be trying to catch more of this going forward. 

• Like 1

Really good show. Both women's matches were good (that division is so strong considering it's so shallow) and the spotfest matches had great spots. Penta/Sami could've gone home a couple of moves earlier but overall worked well and had a great payoff. Really solid main event to cap things off too, even though I was surprised Aries won so handily as well. I'm very ready for new storylines now and it'll be fun to see how they can build off this success.

• Like 1