DVDVR Message Board

Hulk Hogan returns... still a racist

I was a huge Hogan fan.  I even met him and Brutus at a restaurant when I was 11 years old and until this shit went down I'd probably tell you it was one of the greatest moments of my life. 

But shit, man, my best friend growing up was one of like three black kids in our school.  We got into fights all the time with people over shit like Hogan said.  What sucks is this was right around when I met Hogan and my buddy David was a huge fan of his too.  The whole time we thought we were like fighting the good fight like the Hulkster would have wanted we were looking up to someone that was more like the people we were getting into the fights with.

And that fucking sucks dude.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

That's the year I met Hogan I think.  1990 or 1991 at least.  It was when Hogan and Tugboat were wrestling Bravo and Earthquake in house show matches (where the Tugboat Girl story comes from that you can probably search on here).

I had shirts, posters, a fucking sleeping bag, the wrestling buddy, the action figures, I even took the vitamins, and man, they tasted like shit.  I was all in on the Hulkster so this shit was really hard to reconcile but it didn't give me any feeling other than "well, fuck him then."

This is why I just watch fucked up shit like old W*ING 90 percent of the time.  I know Victor Quinones was a piece of shit but he never had me fooled that he wasn't.

• Like 1

I was all in on Mr Perfect, because perfecting the gum swat and the behind the back towel throw were difficult as an uncoordinated child.

And Mabel. Who doesn't love purple pyjama wear? And when he lost, he never really got beat, he was just fat. Come to think of it, that was mostly how he won too. He was just fat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I started watch wrestling in late 1988, between Summerslam and Survivor Series. I was a Demolition, Jake, Hart Foundation, Warrior kid. Then I started appreciating the heels like Perfect, the Rougeaus, DiBiase, anybody managed by Slick, etc. Nothing about a bald guy in yellow tights ever seemed cool to me. 

To be honest, when I started watching the NWA not long after, I thought Sting was kind of corny as well. The bad guys were just cooler to me. In my world, Cobra always kicked GI Joe's ass.

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Valid. Though, in canon, Macho was beating the shit out of his woman so...in hindsight...Hogan's Flip Gordoning of Liz and ass patting not THAT egregious. 

In what storyline is Savage abusing Miss Elizabeth??

Savage was in the right regarding Hogan. Even as a 9 year old we all knew that.

That doesn't change the fact that I stopped rooting for Hogan..  but he wasn't my favorite as that honor was bestowed to Steamboat... Which had a lot to do with his feud with Ric Flair 

Yeah, I was almost always a heel guy, even as a youngster. Bobby Heenan was a favorite of everybody in my house just because of how damn entertaining he was. And Hogan's "train/prayers/vitamins" schitck was just so corny, not to mention that every match he had was exactly the same. It got old quick. I had a sign confiscated from 12 year old me at a SuperStars TV Taping that said "Hulkamania Is Dead! Long Live Earthquake". I am visibly in the front row cheering wildly for "Ravishing" Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan as they walk by. There were a few faces I liked - Steamboat, Warrior, Superfly - but I mostly disliked all the faces. I think the only guy I disliked more than Hogan was Tito Santana.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I started watch wrestling in late 1988, between Summerslam and Survivor Series. I was a Demolition, Jake, Hart Foundation, Warrior kid. Then I started appreciating the heels like Perfect, the Rougeaus, DiBiase, anybody managed by Slick, etc. Nothing about a bald guy in yellow tights ever seemed cool to me. 

To be honest, when I started watching the NWA not long after, I thought Sting was kind of corny as well. The bad guys were just cooler to me. In my world, Cobra always kicked GI Joe's ass.

Yeah, I've been watching since '86, and I tended to gravitate toward bad guys, but mostly because of the "good is dumb" trope. There are only so many times that I could see Sting fall for obvious traps before I was like "Sting sucks." I wasn't rooting for bad guys to be cool or edgy because I was too young for that concept. I rooted for the smart or funny wrestlers, and most of them tended to be heels. I also preferred Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura because they would clown on Vince or Gorilla or whomever and the face PBP person would miss these obvious logical comebacks to their arguments that I could see as a five year old. 

Also, if you had crazy personality or a gimmick that staggered me and just seemed cool, I would root for you no matter your alignment. For the first example, see Macho Man. For the second example, see The Undertaker or Papa Shango. 

For example, when I was about ten, Jake Roberts cut this promo on the Ultimate Warrior after very obviously setting up to turn on him for weeks, and I heard it and basically was like, "Yeah, Warrior is a total idiot, and he deserves to get beaten:"

I also rooted against Warrior against The Undertaker and Papa Shango because, I mean, come on. That goofy "black blood" incident was awesome to me as a kid, and Warrior getting locked in the casket (which led to the Roberts feud eventually) is still memorable to me. 

• Like 3

I know it's come up 1,000 times and will probably come up 1,000 more, but if Jake could have gotten and stayed clean in 1999, he was the absolute perfect choice for the higher power. It was perfectly reasonable that Jake Roberts was the only person more evil than The Undertaker.

• Like 1

Ricky Steamboat was the man when I was a kid. It also helped that confused young me thought Quick Kick from GI Joe was the shit and Quick Kick was the best proxy for Steamboat back then. Anyway, the older I got, the more I like Macho Man. I would like the guys around Hogan, like Brutus, but I wasn't a Hogan fan. I loved everything that happened in the tag division and with the IC belt. Hogan losing to Ultimate Warrior was awesome to me at the time.

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know it's come up 1,000 times and will probably come up 1,000 more, but if Jake could have gotten and stayed clean in 1999, he was the absolute perfect choice for the higher power. It was perfectly reasonable that Jake Roberts was the only person more evil than The Undertaker.

There's many reasons to wish that Pillman never died, but one day being the Higher Power would be one of those reasons. I think I would have liked that more than Jake.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think I would have pissed my pants with excitement if that black hood came off and it's Brian Fucking Pillman still alive and pulling another one over on the "smaaaaaart marks".

I mean, instantly the greatest angle ever. Pillman fakes his death, lays low, heals up, goes to rehab, whatever, and then what you said.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

As I got older and "smarter", I always wondered why people cheered the guy who broke a lot of rules and booed the others that did.

And who was a sore loser, even when beaten fairly, to the point of screwing over other babyfaces to help heels win.

Seriously, the end of the 1992 Royal Rumble should've been a heel turn.  Arn Anderson didn't help Flair win championships as flagrantly as Hogan did that night. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

And who was a sore loser, even when beaten fairly, to the point of screwing over other babyfaces to help heels win.

Seriously, the end of the 1992 Royal Rumble should've been a heel turn.  Arn Anderson didn't help Flair win championships as flagrantly as Hogan did that night. 

or the '89 Royal Rumble

Hogan is cleanly eliminated by the Twin Towers. Instead of leaving ringside, Hogan comes back and pulls the rope down so the Boss Man goes tumbling over as he hits the ropes. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

or the '89 Royal Rumble

Hogan is cleanly eliminated by the Twin Towers. Instead of leaving ringside, Hogan comes back and pulls the rope down so the Boss Man goes tumbling over as he hits the ropes. 

and that was after Hogan himself "accidentally" dumped friend and ally Macho Man Randy Savage out.

Doing Unto Others then complaining when Others Do Unto You is one of the Pillars of heeldom, transparent hypocrisy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hagan said:

I always find it interesting how everyone claims they hated Hogan as a kid now. Not saying we got some revisionist history, but the man was a cultural icon and basically a superhero come to life for over a decade. Were you people rooting for Lex Luthor in the Superman films, too?

Note: I was born in '81, started watching WWF late '87 and discovered Ric Flair in '89 (randomly wrestling that "Dragon" guy the first afternoon we got cable). I get hating the asshole post '92 but if you were a kid in the 80s what kind of monster were you to root against Saying Your Prayers, Taking Your Vitamins and believing in the big Hulkster in the sky?

Now I grew up in Mid South country. But at my school during the peak of Hulkamainia he was fairly hated. But then all us kids saw WWF as "That fake Yankee shit."  

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Racism aside, hey guys, remember when Hulk's son Nick did some drunken joyriding that ended up with Nick''s best friend's forehead literally caved in and the dude ended up pretty much braindead?  And Hulk tried to make Nick feel better by theorizing that the friend probably did something bad in his life and having his skull look like a softball hit it at 150mph was probably just karmic revenge/just desserts?  Because that shit happened and fuck Hulk Hogan.

Well the guy was a grown man who went joy riding with a kid. He could have just as easily been driving. Hogan was trying to comfort his son and the jail violated his privacy. 

Hogan should have said from the start "I am sorry I offended you while you spied on me having sex."

I don't agree with what he said when he was fucked on painkillers. But WWE owes everything they have to him and he should not have been released in the first place. There were better ways to handle it. But WWE did their typical ass covering. 

11 hours ago, Hagan said:

I always find it interesting how everyone claims they hated Hogan as a kid now. Not saying we got some revisionist history, but the man was a cultural icon and basically a superhero come to life for over a decade. Were you people rooting for Lex Luthor in the Superman films, too?

Its like how nobody will say they believed in wrestling as a kid or how nobody eats at McDonald's.