DVDVR Message Board

Hulk Hogan returns... still a racist

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is fucking dumb. What a fucking stupid take.

You know what I haven't done? Said some bullshit like, "everyone's a little racist, fucking n-words" or any of the other shit Hogan said. And if I did, I'd be fucking fired for it because I would be a racist and bigoted piece of shit. After being fired, I sure as shit wouldn't be rehired.

By the way, saying that this was inevitable is such bullshit. It didn't have to be inevitable. WWE could have taken a stand to prove that they won't allow this shit.

The impeccable Craig H, ladies and gentlemen. Purer than snow with no history of off-kilter remark, dubious slur, or irrational thought in x years on this planet. Give me a break.

Were Hogan's comments deplorable? Absolutely. My comment is not a take, it's a belief that people change and taking someone at face value that they have done so and understanding Hogan's value to the company that he would inevitably be brought back into the fold. Take your attempt to rake me over the coals in faux outrage elsewhere

• Like 1

I've said dubious things as a teenager because I was stupid, and regrettable things in my early 20s because I didn't really have the skill to play with that kind of postmodernist satirist language that expert comedians have, but I'm reasonably sure that I came to leave all that in the past, but notably I did it without the incentive of my Road to Damascus being a well-remunerated television vehicle.

To be clear, I'm not outraged at WWE. I continue as I have since the Invasion in 2002: deep disappointment at their continual confirmation of my expectation of them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Were Hogan's comments deplorable? Absolutely. My comment is not a take, it's a belief that people change and taking someone at face value that they have done so and understanding Hogan's value to the company that he would inevitably be brought back into the fold. Take your attempt to rake me over the coals in faux outrage elsewhere

From a historical perspective, I feel like taking old carnies at face value has typically not turned out well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Alvarez still has his tweet up saying it was, prefer him as a source than Satin. We'll see. Filmed or not, there is a big commercial upside for WWE and Hogan to an apology.

For Hogan, certainly. For WWE, I'm genuinely not certain. I know wrestling-to-sports comparisons are never one-to-one, but trotting out a legend in some ceremonial capacity doesn't really move the needle for the World Series (as an example), and I don't know that Hogan should/could be more involved than essentially throwing a first pitch. And if that's in front of a big-event crowd, it could just be awkward and embarrassing for everyone. I can understand why WWE would find it expedient to use footage of him, though, if only because it's so damn hard to memory-hole such a prominent figure. So to that extent, I get what WWE is doing. But if they're planning on trotting him out at Summerslam as the Prodigal Son... yeah I'm not sure that'll accomplish anything good. But it's also possible that I'm so far outside the WWE bubble, and have no Hogan related nostalgia at all, so as to be way off here. Maybe an announced appearance would get a big number when Smackdown debuts on FOX.

I hope Vince trots Hogan out at Summer Slam and the Brooklyn/traveling European crowd shits all over him.

That said, as with anything WWE, I'm preparing myself for the worst. So it'll probably be a big pop, welcome back chants, bowing, etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I can't bend far enough backwards to convince you Hogan's not a racist, sorry.

There isn't enough bending on the planet to convince me that someone who repeatedly alternated between saying, "I'm racist" and "Fucking niggers" with a bit of other racist nonsense sprinkled on top, isn't a racist.

• Like 8

Racism aside, hey guys, remember when Hulk's son Nick did some drunken joyriding that ended up with Nick''s best friend's forehead literally caved in and the dude ended up pretty much braindead?  And Hulk tried to make Nick feel better by theorizing that the friend probably did something bad in his life and having his skull look like a softball hit it at 150mph was probably just karmic revenge/just desserts?  Because that shit happened and fuck Hulk Hogan.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Holy shit, was literally just thinking about that. I think he might have been secretly recorded saying that shit too, right? Just backs up the Hulkster's view that you can be a despicable piece of shit but don't get caught being a despicable piece of shit, brother.

I seem to remember about that too, Linda Hogan on a news show wailing like a banshee saying John Graziano's mother didn't know true pain like she knew true pain essentially because poor wittle Nicky Wicky was sentenced to 8 months and John Graziano was only very seriously injured with life changing brain damage. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hogan has to be the most self-centred piece of shit in wrestling of all time, right? Even as a little kid I saw through his phony bullshit act.

The Big Boss Man didn't beat Hogan badly enough on the Brother Love Show. Neither did Earthquake for that matter. Neither did the Undertaker on the Funeral Parlor. 

As I got older and "smarter", I always wondered why people cheered the guy who broke a lot of rules and booed the others that did.

• Like 2

I always find it interesting how everyone claims they hated Hogan as a kid now. Not saying we got some revisionist history, but the man was a cultural icon and basically a superhero come to life for over a decade. Were you people rooting for Lex Luthor in the Superman films, too?

Note: I was born in '81, started watching WWF late '87 and discovered Ric Flair in '89 (randomly wrestling that "Dragon" guy the first afternoon we got cable). I get hating the asshole post '92 but if you were a kid in the 80s what kind of monster were you to root against Saying Your Prayers, Taking Your Vitamins and believing in the big Hulkster in the sky?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

I get hating the asshole post '92 but if you were a kid in the 80s what kind of monster were you to root against Saying Your Prayers, Taking Your Vitamins and believing in the big Hulkster in the sky?

The kind that rooted for Macho Man Randy Savage.  

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The kind that rooted for Macho Man Randy Savage.  

Valid. Though, in canon, Macho was beating the shit out of his woman so...in hindsight...Hogan's Flip Gordoning of Liz and ass patting not THAT egregious.