DVDVR Message Board

Hulk Hogan returns... still a racist

I had a Hulk figure bought for me but I was disappointed as I preferred Warrior (my first WWF was WM VI) -  I always thought Hogan looked too old to be taken seriously. Now why that means a guy with neon streamers coming off his bicep should be taken more seriously I am not sure. Then we lost cable and when it came back Hogan had gone. So I have no real connection with Hogan, WCW didn't show here, and all I had was a bunch of PPVs and that HULKAMANIA FOREVER VHS which I will recap as it is seared into my brain:

- shitty shit match from UK Rampage 89 tour against Savage where Hogan does a number on Sherri post match, what a hero!
- fun match against The Genius but he loses!
- match v Warrior, seen it
- v Earthquake, bearhugfest, not great for someone in single digits, age wise
- v Earthquake 2, another non-finish, and even longer! seem to recall Boss Man getting involved.
- a tag match w/Tugboat against that underrated team of Earthquake & Dino Bravo

I think people who adored Hogan blindly in the late 80s and early 90s don't post on forums about wrestling minutae; as a group we're more likely to have been a bit smarter to it early on. For most it's a passing fad based on who is popular.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's an awesome statement from Kofi and the New Day.  Basically,  WWE can do what they want, we have A LOT of things going on in life,   fuck Hulk Hogan but we are not allowing this to stop us from being the best thing on WWE TV   Well said.  

This. I'm going to dig out my New Day shirt and wear it today.

• Like 1

Basically the only part that hadn't been "reported" yet is that it started with HHH opening it open by warning everyone about social media.

It comes across very much as "When you say your racist shit - don't do it where people will see/hear" instead of "don't say racist shit"

• Sad 2

I’m skeptical of the people in their late 30s who say they didn’t like Hogan, because Hulkamania was running wild.  It’s not that I think they’re making things up, but memories are faulty.  

For example, I don’t remember being a big Hogan fan, but I know I watched Rock N Wrestling and had the Hogan Mead folders for school and had the figures, etc...  I think being burned out on Hogan once he came to WCW and I was older has warped my perception.  Similarly I also in my mind remember liking Mr. Perfect, but I know it was probably more of a love to hate him thing until he teamed up with the Macho Man, because I remember watching that and being excited thinking “This is awesome, he’s a good guy now.” 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m skeptical of the people in their late 30s who say they didn’t like Hogan, because Hulkamania was running wild.  It’s not that I think they’re making things up, but memories are faulty.  

For example, I don’t remember being a big Hogan fan, but I know I watched Rock N Wrestling and had the Hogan Mead folders for school and had the figures, etc...  I think being burned out on Hogan once he came to WCW and I was older has warped my perception.  Similarly I also in my mind remember liking Mr. Perfect, but I know it was probably more of a love to hate him thing until he teamed up with the Macho Man, because I remember watching that and being excited thinking “This is awesome, he’s a good guy now.” 

A big part of it is where you grew up. I was never a Hogan fan because I grew up in (and still live in) central Va. All of our local stations carried JCP programming. The only time I got to see any WWF was renting video tapes, the times I stayed up and watched SNME and the Fox affiliate in Richmond showed Superstars at like 9 or 10am on Sundays. I was also into the Apter mags which were heavily biased towards JCP. I was more into the NWA style because my older aunts and uncles told me it was "real" wrestling not like the WWF which was all just fake bodybuilders and matches that all end the same way. 

A couple other things behind me not being a Hogan fan as a kid. For starters, I got into wrestling around 4 or 5. I know I mentioned Ricky Steamboat being my favorite guy at the time, but on second thought, it would have been a bit later that Sting would be the man. Sting >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hogan. Maybe not for drawing power, but Sting had the face paint, did awesome moves back then, he had more of a normal build, etc.

Secondly, maybe this played into it, but WWF regularly ran the Joyce at Notre Dame back in the 80s and less so through the 90s. Anyway, I went to a lot of those shows at the Joyce, Hogan was almost always advertised and was almost never there. That's fucking disappointing as a kid. It really makes it feel like this dude doesn't care as much as he says he does.

5 hours ago, Victator said:

Well the guy was a grown man who went joy riding with a kid. He could have just as easily been driving. Hogan was trying to comfort his son and the jail violated his privacy. 

Hogan should have said from the start "I am sorry I offended you while you spied on me having sex."

I don't agree with what he said when he was fucked on painkillers. 

Ah, the old Ambien defense. Yeah, I bet Hogan is only virulently racist when he is on painkillers. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

Don't know, wasn't spying on him fucking. 

I don't give a shit what you were or weren't doing, your argument sucks. He said what he really felt. Some of you will do anything to bend over backwards and forgive racists.

• Like 1