DVDVR Message Board

What About Bob? - Raw - 7/9/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The thought that the AOP should be protected like The Undertaker goes right into the pile with such great board ideas as Nakamura should be a special attraction like Brock Lesnar, losing will be good for Asuka, and Bayley has the ability to be bigger than John Cena.

I didn't say they should be protected like Taker. I said you never saw Taker and Kane running out to break up a pull apart brawl. AoP are monsters and should be treated as such. Right now, they're just lumped in with Titus Worldwide, Zack Ryder, Mike Bennett, etc. I said they should be treated like monsters like Braun is. Braun wasn't part of the pull apart. You should re-read what I wrote rather than twist it to fit your narrative.

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Because outrage at the way they book the main roster just isn't worth it. They are the way they are and we should all be beyond expecting better. 

What does this mean exactly? We shouldn't discuss how shitty everything is? These threads would be pretty short because there isn't much to praise.  Yes,  I get that there are those will will say "Stop watching"  and I have stopped watching to an extent. A lot of weeks it is background noise or fast-forwarding on DVR.  I didn't even bother going to the show and it was an hour away.  I'm not going to stop completely it's something I've watched since I was 5-years old and I remember when it was good. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What does this mean exactly? We shouldn't discuss how shitty everything is? These threads would be pretty short because there isn't much to praise.  Yes,  I get that there are those will will say "Stop watching"  and I have stopped watching to an extent. A lot of weeks it is background noise or fast-forwarding on DVR.  I didn't even bother going to the show and it was an hour away.  I'm not going to stop completely it's something I've watched since I was 5-years old and I remember when it was good. 

It's not about constant praise. And while some people would clearly be much more happy if they stopped watching altogether, they need to come to that realization on their own. So I'm not asking for either of those things. 

I think my apparent belligerence stems from my confusion about why someone would complain about the exact same things every single week when it's clear nothing is going to change in any significant manner. I guess it helps to let it out sometimes. But past a certain threshold, that kind of persistent negativity is exhausting in any space, let alone one as low-stakes as this.

And yes, I could easily have ignored you and not engaged and not tried to apply my version of reason to the things you've introduced to the discussion. You have no obligation to change your conduct on my behalf, and I know my version of reason tends not to be persuasive. So I really should have kept scrolling. Especially because you seem more likely to respond to an imaginary person saying "stop watching" than you are to engage with anything I've actually said. Lesson learned. 

Moving on, would you all prefer:

a) Kevin Owens trying to drag a mid-2000s Kurt Angle "epic" out of the GM, complete with KO's signature top rope fisherman move

or 

b) Constable Corbin having a short, basic undercard match with Kurt where the ex-Baron gets to enjoy a moment in the spotlight?

You can't say neither. Because you're definitely getting one. 

• Like 2

For the record,  when something cool happens I do praise it.  In my history of posting on this board,  I'm way more pro-WWE than some folks tend to be.  Hell,  I was pro-Evolution when most people completely hated it.  But for me,  nothing is hitting right now.  There's a few interesting characters like Elias that I do like to watch and there's still some good in-ring action but everything else is stale or outright bad.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

For me, the problem is if I say something pro-Raw or pro-WWE, I get what is essentially the "you dumb fuck, you're a Vince sheep for liking Roman" treatment. Or worse, a passive-aggressive/deletion of a post before I see it because "fuck her, she won't engage in a conversation." The latter point is somewhat fair, to be fair. Because I don't have the patience to talk to someone who's already hostile. (not you personally, just an overall observation)

It's a self-defense coping mechanism more than anything. I rather ignore it than deal with an argument that will ultimately go nowhere.

That any of us have to use this sort of mentality over a carny show of all things is sad, but here we are. 

In a perfect world, we could all like what we want and have freedom to talk to each other about it without being judged. But I suppose there would be no fun in perfection.

• Like 1

Well, let me say honestly that it has been months since I watched RAW or SDL, yes, there are a handful of wrestlers whose work I enjoy very much, but it just isn't worth the slog through three hours of RAW to maybe see a good Finn Balor or Roman match. Tuesday I have 205 Live, which while it has a tendency to be repetitious, is still vastly entertaining. I could watch Mustafa Ali for a solid hour and not be bored. 

I don't see how that a company that gets so many things right on their minor league shows screws the pooch so badly on the main roster. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't say they should be protected like Taker. I said you never saw Taker and Kane running out to break up a pull apart brawl. AoP are monsters and should be treated as such. Right now, they're just lumped in with Titus Worldwide, Zack Ryder, Mike Bennett, etc. I said they should be treated like monsters like Braun is. Braun wasn't part of the pull apart. You should re-read what I wrote rather than twist it to fit your narrative.

There's an ocean wide difference between "main eventer that's been built up as unstoppable for two years" Braun Strowman and "two guys that just showed up a couple months ago and have done nothing" AOP. AOP aren't doing anything atm and have done nothing yet to suggest that they're monsters or that they deserve that sort of special distinction from the rest of the midcard brawl pull apart pack. They're not even taller or much bigger than Roman or Lashley. Maybe if they get a Road Warriors level push, but I don't see that happening any time soon if ever.

If we're complaining about guys that shouldn't be in the pull apart crowd, former universal champions like Finn Balor need to stay in the back.