DVDVR Message Board

What About Bob? - Raw - 7/9/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Decent enough show.  And am I crazy or did they just cut the Sasha-Bayley therapy ending?  

And yeah, the huge brawl at the beginning was fun.  And I still have no desire to see them fight.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And am I crazy or did they just cut the Sasha-Bayley therapy ending?  

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Oh no. A reference to one of the few things worse than [redacted name of overly memed sitcom]. 

You asked for it.

I didn't pay much attention to Raw. Yankees baseball > WWE (especially Raw)

• Haha 4

Thought the Roman/Bobby stuff was solid. I always enjoy seeing Reigns dive. Will be interesting to see who wins.

Mojo/Jose was ok.

I like that even Graves wondered why the hell Sasha and Hayley are in therapy and not settling their problems in the ring lie Angle says with everyone else.

Seth/Drew seemed nice enough.

I thought that the opening pull apart was well done and the crowd was in to it. I still don't care about their match on Sunday, but that segment was well done. 

How long was the Rollins/McIntyre match? I dont get the thinking booking a 20+minute match to promote a "grueling" 30 minute Iron Man match. That's also to say nothing of the fact that Rollins and dolph have already had two almost 30 minute matches already. What is so Iron Man about a match that goes as long as a typical match for these guys? I did like seeing McIntyre get the win, though. 

And, yeah, I think they realized how bad the therapy stuff was, so they tried reshooting it with another "therapist" (must cost too much to fly Dr Shelby in), and even THAT was horrible, so they just stuck with inserted clips. I mean, I guess it makes too much sense to just let these two tell their story in the ring with 15-20 minutes or something. 

All in all, it wasn't a horrible show, but it dropped off in the third hour, which is typical for RAW.

Opening brawl was fun along with the women's tag as the crowd stayed hot and were solidly behind Nia tonight. Always odd when they have half the roster do the pull-aparts like having the Authors of Pain just random dudes in the pack there with everyone. Rollins/McIntyre was pretty awesome, great final few minutes especially. Thought Ember/Liv was super fun with both looking impressive. Constable Corbin remains one of the best parts of the show. I've always assumed they were dragging the Sasha/Bayley nonsense out for f'n ever with the thought that their ppv 'blowoff' "has to be" in Brooklyn.

The Authors of Pain were part of the pull apart? Way to kill their aura and put them on the same level as Mike Bennett, Zack Ryder, etc. You would have never seen Taker or Kane being among the job squad sent to break up a pull apart brawl. The AoP should be treated like the same type of monster Braun is...and get someone to talk for them immediately!

and unrelated to Raw, but after watching the G1 in San Francisco, I'd be into seeing the Usos vs. the Guerrillas of Destiny. The Usos in New Japan would be all kinds of fun.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I get the sense they held off on booking Sasha vs Bayley for Sunday so they can attempt to recapture some of that Barclays magic.

It's possible but this is no longer about patience or process. It's clear that they have no idea what they are doing with Sasha and Bayley.  This has been going on for some say a couple years but I'd say at least a year.  It seemed to be culminating at WrestleMania and then... nothing.  Some people here thought it was a blessing because they could go all out with a lengthier match at the following PPV.  Still nothing.  

Now we are another three months removed.  Bayley finally snapping on Sasha was a moment..  but what did it lead to.  Last week with Dr. Shelby went nowhere.  They turned a serious angle into cringe comedy.  Then this week there is supposed to be a follow up and nothing.  They showed them sitting on a couch for 30 seconds while the announcers talked over them.  

I'll never understand why they can't book women who aren't involved in title feuds.  Fucking Mojo Rawley and No Way Jose have a feud.  The B-Team has a feud.  I'm not saying any of it is good... but they at least have something to do.  

The Riott Squad "riots".  What?  What does this mean?  Ember Moon wins matches.  Cool. Who is she? Has she ever talked?  We know nothing beyond what we know about her from NXT. 

How is it that I'm more invested in Dakota Kai and Bianca Bel Air than most of the women on the main rosters who are great veteran performers.  NXT just knows how to utilize talent even if it's young and inexperienced talent. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I dont get the thinking booking a 20+minute match to promote a "grueling" 30 minute Iron Man match. 

So they can tell the story that Rollins is worn down and fatigued from recently going nearly 30 minutes of decimation at the hands of McIntyre while Ziggler is comparatively well rested. It's not rocket science kid

For whatever it is worth - and this was purely his own speculation - Meltzer is convinced "something is going on" between Brock and the WWE because there was no mention of Brock at all on RAW and there were a couple of times they went out of their way to not talk about Brock.

He said he will try to find out more.

I am sure it will lead to nothing but just mentioning it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I suppose if Brock doesn't come back they could shift the title to Roman with the explanation that his feet did actually hit first in the cage match. Dumb as hell but wrestling is dumb as hell. I haven't watched the show in weeks but Roman/Lashley seems pretty decent on paper.

Oh man. If you thought the heat on Roman was bad before... making him a paper champion would make it Chernobyl nuclear accident hot.  

IF (and that's a huge if) they strip Brock of the title, best to just run a 4 or 8 man tournament at Summerslam and make Roman earn it in 3 good to great matches (hypothetically against Elias, Finn, and Seth... probably in that order).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's possible but this is no longer about patience or process. It's clear that they have no idea what they are doing with Sasha and Bayley.  This has been going on for some say a couple years but I'd say at least a year.  It seemed to be culminating at WrestleMania and then... nothing.  Some people here thought it was a blessing because they could go all out with a lengthier match at the following PPV.  Still nothing.  

Now we are another three months removed.  Bayley finally snapping on Sasha was a moment..  but what did it lead to.  Last week with Dr. Shelby went nowhere.  They turned a serious angle into cringe comedy.  Then this week there is supposed to be a follow up and nothing.  They showed them sitting on a couch for 30 seconds while the announcers talked over them.  

I'll never understand why they can't book women who aren't involved in title feuds.  Fucking Mojo Rawley and No Way Jose have a feud.  The B-Team has a feud.  I'm not saying any of it is good... but they at least have something to do.  

The Riott Squad "riots".  What?  What does this mean?  Ember Moon wins matches.  Cool. Who is she? Has she ever talked?  We know nothing beyond what we know about her from NXT. 

How is it that I'm more invested in Dakota Kai and Bianca Bel Air than most of the women on the main rosters who are great veteran performers.  NXT just knows how to utilize talent even if it's young and inexperienced talent. 

Sasha and Bayley are fine. The women's division is fine. And I say that by measuring them against the WWE main roster standard. Last night they did a bit with their champ, acknowledged the non-title storyline (too briefly for you, but acknowledged it nonetheless), and had a midcard match to build up a future star in Ember. Given the size of the female roster compared to the male, that's a near proportional amount of exposure.

Is some of it half-baked and underdeveloped? Sure. Welcome to main roster WWE. Everyone's being dragged down by the same whirlpool of suck. They stop and start and fail to commit to nearly everyone at all times except the few people they're inclined to care about. But that Bayley-Sasha match is clearly coming, and I'm more than willing to be patient for it. Because outrage at the way they book the main roster just isn't worth it. They are the way they are and we should all be beyond expecting better. 

Also, being more invested in NXT isn't just about how people are utilized. It's because these are mostly fresh faces you haven't seen drag their ass across the carpet on TV for years and years, and they share an hour of TV time most weeks. Of course you're going be more invested in them than the people being over-exposed in the main roster meat market.