DVDVR Message Board

RIP Steve Ditko

odessasteps

Per Ars Technica, the police found him on 6/29, estimated he'd been dead 2 days when they did, and we're just finding out today.  I think that makes me sadder than the idea that a 90-year-old man who made a lot of things I loved has died.  I'm sure that they had to make absolutely sure he had no next-of-kin, but still.

I can't recommend his horror work enough.  That Creepy hardcover I posted above is my favorite - there's quite a few others.   There's also two hardcovers I own of him doing Gorgo and Kongo - licensed comics of the most shameless of Godzilla and King Kong knockoffs.  Great content but really nicely presented and made books as well.  A lot of love was put into those two volumes (listed as Steve Ditko Monsters)

First issue of Strange Tales that I ever saw, I was nine years-old and my life changed forever:

Thank you, Mr. Ditko; RIP.

• Like 2

Pincers of Power was one of my favorite storylines.

Pincers-of-Power.jpg

My fascination with Dr. Strange was my gateway into comics and I discovered Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Batman from there.

RIP Steve.  Godspeed.

• Like 2

I suppose it depends on how much they mention his philosophy. 

I've not read a lot that didnt mention them. But I've not searched them out. 

And a lot of pros I know definitely made the point of separating talent and person. 

-

That said, it's very interesting he died so close to Harlan, to compare the remembrances of the two. 

On 7/9/2018 at 12:04 PM, Matt D said:

Am I the only one that finds the public Ditko tributes weird and vaguely icky? Especially but not just the corporate ones? 

I can't for life of me understand how a grown-ass man finds anything of value in Ayn Rand, but that's just me. I have no problem separating the man from his art, as objectionable and downright silly as I found his worldview, his art was transcendent. If there's a Mt. Rushmore of comic artists it probably would look something like Kirby, Ditko, Kubert & Buscema (Big John, although Sal wasn't exactly chopped liver); but I'm showing my age... Damn, I left Bernie Wrightson off the list, okay, we need five, what the fuck, it's MY mountain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I can't for life of me understand how a grown-ass man finds anything of value in Ayn Rand, but that's just me. I have no problem separating the man from his art, as objectionable and downright silly as I found his worldview, his art was transcendent. If there's a Mt. Rushmore of comic artists it probably would look something like Kirby, Ditko, Kubert & Buscema (Big John, although Sal wasn't exactly chopped liver); but I'm showing my age... Damn, I left Bernie Wrightson off the list, okay, we need five, what the fuck, it's MY mountain.

I guess it's more that I think Ditko would be pissed off by the whole exercise than anything else. There are a lot of people (movie studios included) just tossing Dr. Strange and Spider-Man up there. 

I was born a bit late to have read the original Ditko stuff on Spidey and Dr Strange. I am sure the first Ditko art I saw was a reprint  of one of his issues of Spidey. But the first time I saw his art and thought to myself OK I gotta see more work from this person was in the early 80s. I had just gotten paperback book that reprinted,in color,a good chunk of the Ditko Strange Tales Dr Strange stories. And I was hooked. Every time I went to the comic shop I would grab anything I could find and afford by Ditko.

As I got older I started reading up on him. And yea I doubt Steve Ditko and I would have agreed on much. But his art was so damn stunning. I get why Kirby gets so much praise for his silver age stuff. But for me Ditko is the real star of Marvel's silver age stuff. 

Am I the only one that remembers how right at 8 years ago there was a rumor going around that Steve Ditko was going to be at a UK comic con? I heard the rumor and had already started working on getting a new passport and all. Should have known there was no way Ditko would do a con. But for about 3 days I was so excited. I had already met Kirby about 3 years before he died. And I thought I was going to get to meet Ditko.

Finding out now that if you wrote Mr Ditko he would write back,makes me wish I had written him.