DVDVR Message Board

The best wrestlers of all time and best matches (NEW TOPIC)

Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?

2. 2. Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?

3. 3. Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?

4. 4. Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?

5. 5. Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?

6. 6. Who is the better wrestler, considering "in ring ability"?

• Toshiaki Kawada
    • Kenta Kobashi
    • I don't know

Good afternoon. Like last time I opened a poll in which you should compare some of the best wrestlers of all time.

The criteria is exclusively IN RING ABILITY, that includes criteria like workrate, storytelling, psychologhy, selling, who is more all rounder, ability to help less experienced wrestlers, versatility, technical skills....

The comparisons are:

-Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat

-Daniel Bryan vs Jushin Liger

-Bret Hart vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

-Chris Benoit vs Eddie Guerrero

-AJ Styles vs Kenny Omega

-Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi

I added Ric Flair in the poll, that was not in the poll last time.

Thank you very much

Greg Valentine vs Roddy Piper (NWA Starrcade 1983): ****

First Dog Collar match ever in tv; it was an unsanctioned match.  It was a violent match, where Piper injured his ear and he became deaf.

From a quality of matches standpoint, JCP was so much better than WWF, that would have started his nation expansion. They used the chain in the right way,  it limited the movements of wrestlers, and it was used as a blunt weapon.

Maybe the finish was a little bad, but you should consider that it was rare that, in 1983, wrestlers did maneuvers from the stake. So you should watch the match, not with today eyes, but with 1983 eyes.

It was a classic.

Harley Race vs Ric Flair - (NWA Starrcade 1983): ****1/4

The match had  a great build up. Race became champion, but he refused to give a rematch to Flair. So he offered 25,000 dollars to Bob Orton and Dick Slater, that injured Flair, who was retired. But Flair returned and he got the rematch. 

It was a Steel Cage match to prevent external interference, and the former NWA World Champion, Gene Kiniski, was the referee. The match had a great in ring psychologhy and storytelling, althought it was a slow match. Race controlled for the most part, working Flair's neck. Flair was the undedog, and at the end he won after a Crossbody. The crowd was so hot for Flair.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:07 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Tana vs Hart breaks my mind

Me too. Today I gave a slight edge to Tana, ask me tomorrow and I might say Bret...

9 hours ago, francescofuoco1998 said:

John, do you like my idea of make a list of the best matches of all time? It will also help me in working on Sting's Gordy List.

Sure, although several knowledgeable folks have done the same. It's very difficult because you're talking about something that is so subjective. On one day I might want to watch Arn Anderson from JCP days with the TV title, on another I might want to watch Onita vs. Mr. Pogo in an exploding ring barbed wire match, then for a change watch Kobashi vs Misawa or something else from 1990s AJPW. 

The thing with a Sting Gordy List comes down to this. No one has ever been given more chances to succeed than Sting and failed more miserably. And I say that as someone that enjoys a lot of his matches. The trouble with Sting is that he was the classic case of a guy that you would watch on TV but couldn't be bothered to buy a ticket to see live. If you're upper mid-card talent like Dean Malenko, that's perfectly acceptable, if you're the flagship of the company, it's not. If Sting had been the ace of NJPW instead of Tanahashi, there would be no NJPW today. 

• Like 4