DVDVR Message Board

Introduce yourself (or don't)

Doug_Tilley

Hey all!

I couldn't find an introduction thread, so I decided to create one. Not that the board needs one, but I wanted to feel special.

I'm Manos99 from the old, old, old board. Some might remember me for having helped start the DVDVR movie club back in the day, and also Dean used to trade sweet, sweet wrestling for VHS recordings of CFL games. It was a simpler time. I also forced a few very kind folks from here to write for my Movie Feast blog for a couple of years before I abandoned it and them to find fortune and glory in the ever-profitable world of freelance writing. 

These days I still write (badly), and also podcast (badly). I have a very misguided podcast about Eric Roberts that some people seem to enjoy. It has a sweary title.

Anyway, I have no idea what the rules are for creating self-serving topics on the board. Just wanted to say HELLO and see who is still around. 

• Like 7

(drops drink to floor)

Long time, dude! You must have ESP. Because I was thinking that whenever I organize my movie collection (and yes, it's still the same mess it's been for years), I would do something with my 50-movie box sets--which you did for your Movie Feast blog. 

I hope all is well with you.

• Like 3

Oh hey Manos!

I am Jennifer "JL" Sigman, been around here since the mid 1990's. Currently 42, single, never married, no dependents other than the cats. I take care of my 72 year old mother, who is disabled and mostly bed bound from childhood polio. I live in a house I bought almost 20 years ago when the neighborhood was cheap, and try to keep the inside as best I can considering my own stew of health problems. Mom and I share a love of reading, and she just allowed herself to get streaming NetFlix to watch all the British dramas she can take while I play video games. It's a life. It's not always easy, but it's OK.

• Like 5

Hey! Some of the old (old as in CLASSIC) gang are still around! 

I'll admit I pretty much stopped watching wrestling entirely after the Benoit incident, though got back into it a couple of years ago with a few PWG shows, and then getting back into DDT and New Japan. Now I obsess over Hiromu Takahashi as much as is probably appropriate. 

To elaborate slightly on my intro, I have a podcast called "Eric Roberts is the Fucking Man" (http://www.ericrobertsistheman.com), which is a tongue-in-cheek look at the life and work of actor Eric Roberts. We're about 75 episodes in, and the whole thing culminated in a live episode at the Cinepocalypse film festival in Chicago last November, where my co-host and I interviewed Eric live on stage. It was the most surreal thing I've ever experienced, and was followed by us all going for lunch, where we were joined by director Larry Cohen (director of Q THE WINGED SERPENT, THE STUFF, etc.).

We got some nice coverage at the time: https://www.avclub.com/a-talking-cat-was-dubbed-in-a-bathroom-and-other-fun-1820415120 

We've only done one wrestling-related episode, featuring DVDVR legend Matt Hollinger covering the films Eric Roberts did with Steve Austin (HUNT TO KILL) and Randy Orton (THE CONDEMNED 2)

Also, you might remember when I was writing about the BLOODY NIGHTMARES box-set over at the old Movie Feast website, which was a massive 100-film box set of no-budget and microbudget films. Well, I also turned THAT into a podcast called No-Budget Nightmares (http://www.nobudgetpodcast.com)

Which has led to some friendships with ultra low-budget directors, and an eventual appearance doing a commentary for J.R. Bookwalter's THE DEAD NEXT DOOR (and his upcoming release of ROBOT NINJA). 

I'm also shockingly active on social media. Particularly on the hellscape that is Twitter https://twitter.com/Doug_Tilley

But thanks so much for the re-intro. I'm still catching up on what has been happening on the board for the last.. holy shit.. 7 years or so. 

• Like 1

Manos! Bloody Nightmares! Ah, good times...  I've been around since the very early days when my handle was Old School John, (since shortened to OSJ), I took a sabbatical for a couple of years from pretty much every site as the writing and editing went from something I did to pay for  my book collecting to a career beyond my wildest expectations, (check out the bibliography at the Internet Speculative Fictiion Database under "John Pelan").  I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up, but we'll cross that bridge in due course. In the meantime I'll continue to screw around writing stories of awful things happening to awful people and awful things happening to good people. The other half of the equation is the research and editing piece. Somehow things worked out to where I have the coolest job in the world, which leaves me plenty of time to interact with y'all about wrestling, comix, literature, action figures, films. etc. For example, giving you the Mutombo finger wag for mentioning ROBOT NINJA and not mentioning the guest appearances of Burt Ward and Linnea Quigley... 

Anyway, hoping all is well with you, it's really good to see that many of the folks who were around in 1995 are still here (or have returned). The more it changes, the more it stays the same... The wife asked me the other day, "When are you going to grow up and stop buying comic books and playing with toys?" (I should note that there is a semantics problem here in that by "toys" she means "action figures" and by "playing with" she means "customizing".)

Anyway, the answer was "Not anytime soon, dear; not anytime soon... By the way, if I were to have Manny (my guy in the Philippines) do a new custom, should I go with The Black Terror or Fighting Yank? "  Apparently she's not a fan of either character as if looks could maim, I'd be typing with my nose. ?

• Like 2

Manos! I was also just wondering about you!  I've been here since 1998, although you may remember me as Zundian, and also a dude.  Things change!  I'm pretty much out of watching wrestling, but hang around the media forums for giggles.

• Like 2

This may come as a tremendous shock... but my name's Brian. Before the board went boom, I used to use the name BruceDickinsonFan, then went by Stewie Griffin back in the early days of Family Guy when it was still funny. 

• Like 2

I am Ryan. Not much else to say. If you want more info, consult your local library and get sidetracked in old periodicals.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm Brian. Used to be Farwell3d and a few other names way back

(He's notorious for his shenanigans, take him at his word with a shifty glance sideways.)
Hi, Brian!

Hi Manos!! I used to post as Evil Ash and also as you know wrote for Movie Feast. Now I’m a university instructor and I have a book coming out (an *academic* book so don’t get excited anyone). I have always kept up with wrestling results but honestly didn’t watch any wrestling (outside the odd match) for about a decade, and then starting going to local shows a couple of years ago. In April I signed up to AJPW.tv to watch the Champion Carnival and so now I watch All Japan.

It’s good to see you’re doing well and I have no idea how you could do 75+ podcasts about Eric Roberts.

• Like 2

I’m Lawful Metal. I’ve been here since forever, minus all the times I’ve been banned. Thank god the forum completely crashed and forgot I was banned or I wouldn’t even be here.

I’m a criminal defense lawyer in Houston. If anybody gets arrested in Texas I’ll help you out. 

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Hi! I'm Stefanie. I've been here in some form since 2000 or so, but I also have changed a lot since then. For example, I'm a trans woman, and I certainly wasn't presenting like that from the start. I actually was posting here recently as Sasha, which was the name I first chose when I started transitioning, but it didn't fit me anymore. I changed it to Stefanie back in November, and just got around to changing it here. The moral of the story is that I am lazy. I spend my days working on stats while videos of people speedrunning old video games plays in the background. I lead a thrilling life.

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I’m Lawful Metal. I’ve been here since forever, minus all the times I’ve been banned. Thank god the forum completely crashed and forgot I was banned or I wouldn’t even be here.

I know everyone who was banned and is now back.

Most everyone was young and stupid.

Now we are old and stupid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Hi! I'm Stefanie. I've been here in some form since 2000 or so, but I also have changed a lot since then. For example, I'm a trans woman, and I certainly wasn't presenting like that from the start. I actually was posting here recently as Sasha, which was the name I first chose when I started transitioning, but it didn't fit me anymore. I changed it to Stefanie back in November, and just got around to changing it here. The moral of the story is that I am lazy. I spend my days working on stats while videos of people speedrunning old video games plays in the background. I lead a thrilling life.

I don't think this board could handle a "Who Has the Most Mundane Life?" challenge

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I don't think this board could handle a "Who Has the Most Mundane Life?" challenge

I mean, I find what I do exciting, even though as soon as I talk about Excel formulas in casual conversation most people's eyes glaze over and they tell me to stop.

Sometimes I get to make charts too.

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I mean, I find what I do exciting, even though as soon as I talk about Excel formulas in casual conversation most people's eyes glaze over and they tell me to stop.

Sometimes I get to make charts too.

I write database queries and electronic reports for a living. I can relate to every word you say. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 4:30 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hi, Manos. I'm a Bad Boy. I've been here for less time than most of the other regulars.

Have you seen the episode of Justified guest starring Eric Roberts as a cautionary tale of Raylan's antiquated, alcoholic future? 

I *have*, though we've yet to do an episode on it. Though, I did make a blood oath to cover the life and work of Eric Roberts that Eric Roberts refused to release me from, so it's coming! 

On 7/5/2018 at 4:43 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Manos! I was also just wondering about you!  I've been here since 1998, although you may remember me as Zundian, and also a dude.  Things change!  I'm pretty much out of watching wrestling, but hang around the media forums for giggles.

Nice to still have you around! I love that so many people are still posting here who don't actually watch much - if any - wrestling anymore. 

On 7/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, OSJ said:

Manos! Bloody Nightmares! Ah, good times...  I've been around since the very early days when my handle was Old School John, (since shortened to OSJ), I took a sabbatical for a couple of years from pretty much every site as the writing and editing went from something I did to pay for  my book collecting to a career beyond my wildest expectations, (check out the bibliography at the Internet Speculative Fictiion Database under "John Pelan").  I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up, but we'll cross that bridge in due course. In the meantime I'll continue to screw around writing stories of awful things happening to awful people and awful things happening to good people. The other half of the equation is the research and editing piece. Somehow things worked out to where I have the coolest job in the world, which leaves me plenty of time to interact with y'all about wrestling, comix, literature, action figures, films. etc. For example, giving you the Mutombo finger wag for mentioning ROBOT NINJA and not mentioning the guest appearances of Burt Ward and Linnea Quigley... 

And John is still around! And if you want to hear me talk about Burt Ward and Linnea Quigley, you gotta buy the deluxe Blu-Ray with the commentary. We all got to make a living. ;)

On 7/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, Control said:

Hi Manos!! I used to post as Evil Ash and also as you know wrote for Movie Feast. Now I’m a university instructor and I have a book coming out (an *academic* book so don’t get excited anyone). I have always kept up with wrestling results but honestly didn’t watch any wrestling (outside the odd match) for about a decade, and then starting going to local shows a couple of years ago. In April I signed up to AJPW.tv to watch the Champion Carnival and so now I watch All Japan.

It’s good to see you’re doing well and I have no idea how you could do 75+ podcasts about Eric Roberts.

That's amazing! Congrats for the (academic) success.

And I *also* don't know how I could do 75+ podcasts about Eric Roberts. Yet.. here we are. 

And I really appreciate everyone introducing themselves. Where did we end up landing on whether Mark Henry was the lost great worker of the early 2000s?

I'm Neil, and I can't for the life of me remember my old username on the board but I'm pretty sure it wasn't CreativeControl.

I'm based in the UK, I write about/test drive/review cars for a living (twitter handle is @neilisdriving if that interests you), I enjoy strength training and target shooting in my spare time and am a big Cormac McCarthy and crime fiction nerd. Oh and I recently finished a first draft of a novel that has nothing in common with either of those things.

My time at home is generally spent talking to and fawning over Peapod (and sometimes my girlfriend)

q89nweu6sz511.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My screen name is now, and always has been, Tabe.  Lifelong nickname I've had since I was like 7.

I formally trained to be a high school math teacher but gave up that career after three years in northwest Colorado two decades ago.  Was blessed to be able to coach high school football and baseball during that time as well.  Now I work in IT as a database developer and report writer.  It scratches just the right itch with me and I absolutely love what I do.  I previously did about a decade of software QA and several years of high-end tech support prior to that.  

Married for nearly a quarter of a century to my best friend but not able to have kids.  We've compensated by having 2 nephews and a niece live with us on multiple occasions.  2 of those turned out well, 1 not so much.

Free time is spent going to baseball games (season ticketholder for over a decade with the Spokane Indians), playing video games, speedsolving Rubik's Cubes, and working on fledgling Youtube channel (CoachTubeCubing, yo).  Not a whole lot of "active" hobbies because of back pain issues that severely limit my tolerance for activity.  

I don't spend a whole lot of time watching wrestling anymore but I am best known for being a major league shoot-style enthusiast and fan of 1980s Mid-South and JCP..  I may or may not have supplied videos to a few of you at one time :)

• Like 4