DVDVR Message Board

I want to bring back the DVDVR e-fed.

Super Ape

Let’s be honest. The wrestling business can bum a lot of us out. If it’s not the whole CEO mess, it’s Vince being Vince, or the fallout of Enzo’s entire existence.

So that’s why I humbly submit a motion to start up a new e-fed where we can make our own storylines, with our own characters, and work together to make a fun little game here.

I’m thinking, running it like an indie promotion; one show a MONTH, maybe a second show ON OCCASION, and making it a really low-maintenance approach. One roleplay per match. Maybe a word limit.

obviously, not having access to the old fed materials, this would be a fresh start. No connections to the old DVD-W, just a straight fresh reboot. But if you were in the old fed and wanna bring back your old characters, do it.

if y’all are interested, sound off on here. 

• 1 month later...

Screw it. I wanna try this again because I’m in a malaise about actual wrestling, and I think maybe flexing the creative muscle will help.

tagging people who participated in the old board Fed; @Brian Fowler, @Lamp, broken circa 1988, @AxB, @Raziel

If you want in and were in the old fed under a different handle, go ahead and chime in.

I would participate with a VERY Strong, VERY Conditional Maybe.

See, everyone likes coming up with ideas for wrestlers. And everyone likes cutting promos. But you know what people don't like? Writing matches. It's the busywork part. It's the thing that takes time. It's the thing that makes it hard for people to stay excited about their characters and the promos they want to cut.

Now the most regular, most dependable, least "sorry for running behind"-est e-fed I was ever in used Fire Pro to make the matches instead of just sitting down and writing everything out longform. And hey, there's a new Fire Pro coming out with a function that lets you share wrestlers, so you don't have to add them to your game by hand anymore!

I would be down to participate in that. I'd also be down to like help troubleshoot and develop wrasslers for people with less experience, and to weed out people trying to pull a fast one with cheap tricks. I've got well over 10,000 hours of experience with making watchable wrasslers across multiple editions of Fire Pro so I like to think I'd be okay at that.

So yeah. I would help with a Fire Pro thing. I'd even be down to help with a more casual General Fire Pro League. But I've got less than zero interest in writing matches in the year 2018.

As I have the concept at present, the entirety of the match writing would be MY responsibility. As such, I would run it roughly as a real-life independent promotion, with monthly shows as opposed to weekly. I also can’t guarantee there would be epic PPV-level main events every card. Picture a summary type of description, similar to the news page of any standard indie fed, around 1000-1250 words per. I’m trying to keep this loose and casual, without it being much of a burden on me or my players.

That said, I’m also not opposed to the concept of a Fire Pro fed, though I also assume not everyone playing would have it, and giving you a lot to do in terms of presentation would go against what I’m aiming for here.

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I would participate with a VERY Strong, VERY Conditional Maybe.

See, everyone likes coming up with ideas for wrestlers. And everyone likes cutting promos. But you know what people don't like? Writing matches. It's the busywork part. It's the thing that takes time.

I disagree. Writing matches is fun, speaking as the guy who wrote all the good matches in the old e-fed. Winnipagan was rubbish by comparison.

If we're doing it, I'm in.

I tried an efed years ago and due to a lack of creativity on my end didn't really end up doing much with it.  Not sure if I'd participate in one now but if there's enough interest might weight my options.

I will say though that Fire Pro sims are the way to go, especially if it's the Steam version.  Carlzilla's mods make it so that you can book everything and watch it play out in the game.  If that is used and they're put up on Youtube then that could work.  Heck, there's even commentary mods and everything if you wanted to do that.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, AxB said:

Aren't most of us getting it on PS4 though? Are edits portable?

I think there’s a creation suite, like how you can download the 2K stuff. At least, that’s what I think the PS4 description said on the PSN Store write-up. 

On 8/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, AxB said:

Aren't most of us getting it on PS4 though? Are edits portable?

They haven't found a way to transfer Steam edits to PS4 but they do have their own edit workshop.  Just need to sign in with a PS4 account and much like Steam you can subscribe to edits.  https://firepro-w.com/

Wasn't that long ago people would share fire pro edits by posting a full template on a website. Well, it was twenty years, but that's not long.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:01 PM, Raziel said:

Man, I barely promo for with the 3 characters I have- I mean, well, I can probably come up with something to have a bit of fun with.

Was playing around with a word limit for promos. That way nobody has to commit to a novel for each show.