DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Player One said:

I really enjoyed Buffy back in the day, but it's not aged well for me.  It's one of those things I'm not quite embarrassed to admit I like, but have no interest in seeing again in any way, shape, or form - even if it's only watching a couple min of tv.

Basically,  it's Seinfeld.  Though I'd watch a Buffy marathon way before I rewatch another episode of Seinfeld.

Interestingly, I'm still a Whedon fan.   I've never hated any of his work, and still enjoy things like Angel (save the last season), Firefly, Avengers, etc.

The last season of Angel was really good, I thought. If I’m remembering correctly, they had to push everything into super overdrive towards the end because they got word they were being cancelled and had to come up with an ending. As such, that’s why the back half of that season feels super rushed.

I still hate, hate, hate that series finale.

The last season is a real love or hate thing, because they changed basically everything except some of the cast. I think it's the best season, but I fully get why someone would hate it.

• Like 1

I wasn’t crazy about Spike being involved, but my favorite thing Angel ever did was Fred’s arc through the entire show (and Wesley’s during the penultimate season to the last). That shit was heartbreaking in the final season.

Besides Twin Peaks, it’s the only show that I own every season of on DVD.

Regarding Chris Hardwick, I like him. He's an enthusiastic nerd who has shown repeatedly that he'll be open to new things. I enjoy the Nerdist/ID10T podcast quite a bit too. I can't speak much for the Talking shows or even @Midnight, but I like him in everything else.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I still hate, hate, hate that series finale.

I loved the finale of Angel. I hold that ending second only to that of The Shield.

I had no idea such negative sentiment existed, but I was never active in the Buffy/Angel fandom. Just an avid viewer and reader of the first season of Buffy comics. 

• Like 1

I loved the finale up until the final 10 seconds, when Whedon went all Sopranos on his fans and cut to black. I didn’t devote years of my life to Angel and the gang just to have their fate left up to my own personal interpretation (or to buy piles of comic books, which I’m not into anyway).

I like definitive endings, not cliffhangers and shit. Breaking Bad left a small, sour taste in my mouth, but for the most part you got to see what happens to everyone so I wasn’t too upset.

Also, is it weird that I’ve only seen a handful of episodes of Buffy, but absolutely adore Angel as a stand-alone show and rank it among my most favorite shows ever?

It's a little weird, but they did do a pretty decent job of giving Angel a fairly different tone. It's a much more grown up show.

You might want to watch season 3 of Buffy just to get the full picture of Wesley's character development.

I thought the last season of Angel had strong episodes, but also feel like the kind of dumbed it down.  IRRC, Fox wanted the show to be more accessible and less serialized so they kinda shifted away from having one season-long arc and made the episodes more self-contained.  Didn't work, obviously, as they still got canceled.  

I probably should go back and watch season 5, see if my feelings have changed.  I remember liking a lot of the single episodes.

I'm still amazed that David Boreanaz has gone 20+ years without being unemployed.  In Hollywood, that's a feat.

But, yeah, in general, Angel has aged a lot better for me than Buffy.

There is a funny after story with Angel being canceled. Whedon had tried to get an early renewel for the show since it was performing well. WB canceled it and the then WB president was fired. The new network president saw the show in Angel's time slot was not even getting half the ratings, in frustration he asks "Why the hell did we cancel Angel?"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Victator said:

There is a funny after story with Angel being canceled. Whedon had tried to get an early renewel for the show since it was performing well. WB canceled it and the then WB president was fired. The new network president saw the show in Angel's time slot was not even getting half the ratings, in frustration he asks "Why the hell did we cancel Angel?"

For some reason, the WB always waited until the last moment to decide on Angel's renewal. Which put everyone on edge because if they did get cancelled, everyone would be scrambling for jobs after most writing and crew positions would already be filled. So Joss asked them to decide earlier... And they got axed.

I decided to do a rewatch of Sons of Anarchy before Mayans.

I know it wouldn't be crucial to the new show, but I just wanted a refresher.  I'll be honest, I'm enjoying the later seasons a LOT more than I did during the initial run.  Jimmy Smits as Nero was a show stealing casting decision and I honestly, while I knew how shitty Jax was, I never realized HOW shitty he was as a human until some of the later moments of the show.  I still think Seasons 1-3 are amazing and stand the test of time as some of the best on TV, but I don't hate 5-6 as much as I did.

To add, I am in complete agreement whoever said that a "greatest TV moments" thread could be entirely dedicated to Justified.  The dynamics/chemistry on that show were unbelievable and I could easily say it is my favorite show of all time.

Yeah, latter-day Sons (and Mad Men) have been playing on Audience and I check them out when they're on. Nero as a character was a life saver because he became the only -- ONLY -- character with any kind of moral compass. Everyone else, you're just waiting to see get wiped out. 

• Like 2

Anyone I liked got murdered, like Bobby or Tara. I basically hate watched the last two seasons. I think I'm even more annoyed that the final seasons weren't even as bad as Dexter's.

Man, that series...

Now, for a palette cleanser:

The ONLY way this would have better is if he pulled the tablecloth at a more random part of the countdown, like at 6. This is such a Raylan thing to do though.

• Like 3

And now I'm down the rabbit hole.

Look, can we just appreciate how fucking awesome Timothy Olyphant is at playing characters that are pissed off or angry?

I can't recall more than a few scenes in Deadwood where he smiles. In Justified, it's like that anger is dialed down while the cockiness and being an asshole are dialed up. Then you have Santa Clarita Diet where he owns all of the comedic dialogue. 

It's a shame that Bill Paxton passed away for many reasons, but I always wanted a movie or a tv show where Bill Paxton, Timothy Olyphant, Josh Duhamel, and Johnny Knoxville are all brothers running some kind of business that Knoxville finds a way to screw up.

• Like 2

Raylan Givens is a U.S. Marshal, they get moved around all the time, why can't we get another justified season in some other backwater town in some other part of the country.  He can go try to catch those dudes from "Bangin in Little Rock" for a couple years or some militia dudes in Idaho.  Just give me Raylan Givens going around trying to stop some overly articulate backwoods gangsters.

• Like 4

I think there is a 100% chance that JUSTIFIED will be revisited at some point.

I mean, the nature of the business these days is to bring back anything that was even kinda successful, and the ending of Justified doesn't even require you to pretend like certain things didn't happen in order to bring all the major players back.  It would be so easy.  It's definitely going to happen.

And while the story certainly doesn't *need* to be continued, I do think that, unlike a lot of shows, there really would be value to checking in on these characters every 10, 20 years.  What's Raylan like at 55?  65?  The role of the aging lawman would be an interesting hat to see him wear.

• Like 3